Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

: UPDATE: .................Norton Antivirus, whats better?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by uglychevyZZ4, Aug 17, 2004.

1. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

Ok, I got NAV with internet security 5 months ago and still wont work right, didnt even come with directions on the firewall stuff /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif anything better / easier?

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Re: Im sick of fighting Norton Antivirus, whats better?

I'm fighting the Symantec version of that program right now (Norton and Symantec are basically the same company, Norton is marketed to consumers Symantec is marketed to business), it is a PITA for sure. It's supposed to be all customizable but they don't tell you how the F to do it. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I would just run NAV by itself and download Zygate personal firewall for internet protection . I bought NAV 2004 as a standalone program and it works great . It will configure itself for your messenger programs and your e-mail client also /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

Now if you want different , try Avast . I use that at work , 60 day trial is free . Or try AVG which is free/free /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. uglychevyZZ4

I know, Im sick of it stopping good proggies from working /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I have to keep it disabled. I want something better. I have comcast now, is that considered LAN or what? what will work good with it?

5. kombi59

kombi59 1/2 ton status

Hey Guys, I had Norton on my pc and it sucked. I got McAfee on my Dell laptop and it is great no problems very easy to understand helpful links and the such. good luck from the sand box!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

As far as I'm concerned PC-Cillin is one of the best out right now. Very easy, very automated, alerts you when new threats are out etc..

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I agree with MudFrog about Trendmicro's PC-Cillin. I have Norton and keep it updated. It still misses some viruses that spyware uses to install their junk in the files.
    I go to trendmicro's site and do a free online virus scan. It keeps my PC clean. They add virus updates almost as soon as viruses come out.
    I like it better than Norton. As soon as my contract that came with my new PC runs out with Norton. I'm switching to PC-Cillin

CLICKY:http://www.trendmicro.com

8. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Good choices listed! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I would recommend installing SP2 (Service Pack 2) for Windows XP. The Windows Firewall has been recompiled and is easier to manage. The browser (IE6) now comes with a popup blocker and a new version of Outlook Express.

There are a bunch of other reasons to upgrade to SP2 but I won't bore you with all the technical jargon ....... unless you are interested. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

9. uglychevyZZ4

I just looked and says sp-2 isnt out yet, and when I d/l sp-1 i cant even get online /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif what gives with that Dan? HELLPPP /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif I had to totally reformat yesterday and lost tons of pics, 3 years of naches and everywhere else, but my fault for not backing up /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
    I like Norton because from my understanding they do the IS for the federal Gov /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

10. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/ rocks.. always finds stuff the others miss... and its free and doesn't load up your comp...

i don't run any, i just go to Panda every couple weeks.. keeps my comp faster for gaming without an antivirus app running..

11. uglychevyZZ4

ok i got a 90 free trial of panda with internet security & firewall, watch for questions on configuration /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I am a computer tech, personally id take norton 2004 over anything. After scaning a customers computer that had McAfee on it and it said"virus free" took the hd out and put it into my tech machine did a vscan with NAV and got 23 virus /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif Did the same thing with PC-cillin last week. One thing people forget is to do windows updates, if you do not do this the virus will still keep attacking you! If you want to get rid of virus' run a mac or LINUX!!!
    thats my .02

Jess

13. uglychevyZZ4

whats mac / linux? they cant get a virus? how is panda?

14. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Sp2 is available HERE.

It's a 225+ Mb download and it takes less than an hour to install. I have copies on CD if you want to stop by and grab one.

[ QUOTE ]
    lost tons of pics, 3 years of naches and everywhere else,

[/ QUOTE ]

Next time, give me a call. I can fix anything. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. uglychevyZZ4

Thats for [ QUOTE ]
    This installation package is intended for IT professionals and developers downloading and installing on multiple computers on a network.

[/ QUOTE ]
    The one for single home edition isnt out yet /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

16. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Thats for [ QUOTE ]
    This installation package is intended for IT professionals and developers downloading and installing on multiple computers on a network.

[/ QUOTE ]
    The one for single home edition isnt out yet /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the one you want.

It will work great on 1 computer or 1000 computers. They (Microsquish) recommend home users go thru Windows Update to get the service pack. If you download the "Network Installation" file (about 225Mb) and burn it to a CD Rom then you won't have to download it again if you rebuild your machine.

<ul type="square"> [*]Download it [*]Install it [*]Enjoy it [/list]

/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

17. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Hey Goober I like SP2 but how can I get the "security center" to realize that my virus program is good and running. It says the status is "unknown" but realizes that symantec is on there. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

18. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Hey Goober I like SP2 but how can I get the "security center" to realize that my virus program is good and running. It says the status is "unknown" but realizes that symantec is on there. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

In the Security Center in the section that has the anti-virus stuff you can selet "stop monitoring, I will monitor this myself" and it won't report it anymore.

If you want to be hardcore, you can edit the registry directly. Find the Registry key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center] and add a value with the following details:

Data Type: DWORD
    Value Name: AntiVirusOverride
    Value: 1

That should work.

***WARNING*** If you are not familiar with editing your Windows registry then don't try to be hardcore or you will screw everything up. Just stick to the User Interface, it works just fine.

19. uglychevyZZ4

Ok, I got everything installed except sp1/sp2 and all is good, except now my messenger wont log in /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif any idea which one would have killed it?

20. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I run Norton Systomworks 2003. Works great for me.