Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

UPDATE! - November Progress Pics of T-Beetle

Discussion in 'Center Of Gravity' started by marv_springer, Nov 30, 2004.

1. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Here Ya go!

Still gotta finish steering, brakes, wiring, and paint.... and lotta other stuff I'm forgetting...
    /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/619225/5

Marv

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

man, that thing is so ugly its... cute! lol! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j

3. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Heat can make people do strange things. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Looking good Marv!

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

any particular reason for the leaf spring choice up front? what springs are they? I would think a better approach angle would be a goal.
    any closeups of the rear axle/spring mount?

5. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

If you think about what it would look like with bigger tires the approach angle isn't so bad. Sure would feel weird to wheel that close to the front of a rig. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif It's cool /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I really like the wheel chock.

/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

Sorry. Upon further review it was determined that the wheel chock in question is not in fact a steering wheel but apparently a rock ring of some sort. A steering wheel used as a wheel chock is much funnier than an apparent rock ring.

Much apologies to the general public for the lack of humor.

7. marv_springer

[ QUOTE ]
    any particular reason for the leaf spring choice up front? what springs are they? I would think a better approach angle would be a goal.

[/ QUOTE ]
    2 reasons.... cheaper - ...and I had them laying around!
    Remember that the reason for building this buggy is to prove this nutty drivetrain concept. So I wanted to get it going in a quick/inexpensive way - and these stock Wrangler leaves looked to be just the ticket! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    any closeups of the rear axle/spring mount?

[/ QUOTE ]
    [​IMG]
    This is as close as I've got. But there's nothing fancy on the spring mounts. The eye of the spring mounts directly (no shackle) to the axle. So the 1/4 el spring serves double duty as upper links and springs. The front of my FunBuggy is pretty much the same.

Marv

8. marv_springer

[ QUOTE ]
    Sure would feel weird to wheel that close to the front of a rig. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Max,

Sitting in it feels really wierd!... The cool think is that you'll just about be able to "spot" yourself! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Marv

9. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Wow, one rear shock??? Where did you come up with a crazy idea like that /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    This is as close as I've got. But there's nothing fancy on the spring mounts. The eye of the spring mounts directly (no shackle) to the axle. So the 1/4 el spring serves double duty as upper links and springs. The front of my FunBuggy is pretty much the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

You aren't worried of axle wrap/flex steer? I would see the rear end moving a lot since your upper links are basically getting shorter as they droop due to the arc of the spring. I realize if you used a double wrap spring it would combat the axle wrap issue but it will also severly hinder the flex in such a light weight set up. Either way I like the out of the box approach and can't wait to see it on the trail. It will probablt be a lot easier to tow too.

10. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Looks good. Only thing that scares me is thinking of you sitting in it while winching and haveing the cable break. Nothing there to keep it from hitting you. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

11. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Man, that is awesome. If you dont mind me asking, about how much $$ do you have into it?

I see several things in the pictures that are giving me ideas for the next rig i build /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Sure would feel weird to wheel that close to the front of a rig. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Max,

Sitting in it feels really wierd!... The cool think is that you'll just about be able to "spot" yourself! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Marv

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif If you bring that thing to Moab next year you'll have to take me out for a rip in it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif Oh and hey I figured out how you can do it! Just a couple extra minutes of fab work and this beauty of engineering could be yours /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[​IMG]

Now you can be your own spotter!

And just look how easy it is to adjust! Without ever leaving your seat! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif
    [​IMG]

Just think of the possibilities!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

(Notice I even got in your wheeling suit /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif)

13. marv_springer

[ QUOTE ]
    Only thing that scares me is thinking of you sitting in it while winching and haveing the cable break. Nothing there to keep it from hitting you.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good point...
    Gonna use nylon rope. And gonna make a shield. The rope is pretty "user friendly" if it breaks - it doesn't "snap" like the cable.

Marv

14. marv_springer

Definintely looks like me in the "sta-puff" suit! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Marv

15. marv_springer

[ QUOTE ]
    Wow, one rear shock??? Where did you come up with a crazy idea like that /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    I'm surprised that you're the first one to mention this.... We'll see if it works! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    You aren't worried of axle wrap/flex steer? I would see the rear end moving a lot since your upper links are basically getting shorter as they droop due to the arc of the spring. I realize if you used a double wrap spring it would combat the axle wrap issue but it will also severly hinder the flex in such a light weight set up.

[/ QUOTE ]
    The rear suspension on the Beetle is much like the front suspension on the FunBuggy.
    [​IMG]
    Only difference is that the Beetle uses only 1 lower link, and I'm using it to "push" the vehicle instead of "pull". Once again... it's safe to say that several components of this vehicle are highly experimental. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif But I've learned that you can sit around arguing all day about whether it'll work or not.... but you really don't know till you try it! /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

Marv

16. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

where are the VW betle skins? i thoungt you woere going to use that i was all excited, oh well
    /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

sorry to jump off topic but how well does that setup work on the front of the funbuggy?

18. marv_springer

Alan,

I love it!/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Because my links (& springs) are not parallel, it tends to bind some in articulated travel. But in straight up'n'down travel - it soaks up the bumps like a pro! You might say it behaves a lot like an Early Bronco radius arm suspension.

BTW, I don't mind the restriction in twist travel, cuz it actually adds "roll" stability w/out running a swaybar. And 'sides, the rear has plenty of "twist"....

Marv

19. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

So any new progress/action pictures? Im still waiting to see how this thing works. :ears:

20. marv_springer

Hey thanks for asking....!

I'll use the excuse that I've had some major personal issues this spring that de-railed my progress.... I haven't worked on this thing at all since January. :(

That being said.... Last weekend I got back on it... and I hope that I've only got a month or 2 of good work to go on it.

I'll make sure and post some progress pics...:waytogo:

Marv