Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Update on bunch of dirt in my differential

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chaka73, May 5, 2000.

1. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

I got home and drained my differential oil but to my shock and relief there was no dirt in the housing??? I wonder why? if the axles were full of dirt when the so called mechanic put them back in I thought there was gonna be a bunch of dirt in the housing, I'm just really glad there wasn't any but now I have to get the axles off and clean them before I do get any dirt in my housing any tips on how to clean the axles and why didn't the dirt get in the housing? thanks again all of you guys that responded.

LOVE MY GREEN GIANT!!!

2. paul_cfh

paul_cfh Registered Member

you prolly didnt get any dirt in the housing cause the machanic knew enough to keep the axle from dragging in the dirt when he put it back in (also the oil will soke up some of it ) and the seal was good enough to keep the dirt out .......to clean the dirt out pull out axle (take off tire hub ect.)and constuct a half moon shaped flat piece of metal (or plastic) and attach it to a long thin rod and pull the dirt out. or if you still have the dif. cover off you could use air to blow it out from the dif out....... hope this helps .........if anyone knows a better way feel free to make me look stupid *S*

<font color=blue>where the road ends the fun begins</font color=blue>

3. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info paul, I dont think anybody here will make you look stupid, if you're trying to help we all appreciate that, somebody else might know a different way to clean it but they wont make you feel stupid cause you seem to know what you're talking about thanks again.

LOVE MY GREEN GIANT!!!

4. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

Hey a shop vac also works if the diff is drained other wise its kink of messy .