Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Update on my stolen ride.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BLzr4x4ngkid, Aug 26, 2000.

1. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

Well I guess sometime after midnight last night someone stole my Jimmy. I swear to god, what the hell is going on with my life?! It just got out of the shop on Thursday and I went to pick it up today and it wasn't even in the parking lot. I ran back inside and they all acted really dumb founded. My ignition wire was the cause of the short which put my truck in the shop in the first place, now it's gone for good. I'm so depressed about it I have cried since 5 this evening. This is complete BS. All the money and time I have put into it isn't worth crap now!! Right now we are trying to figure out if the place is liable or not, after all it was still on the property. The guy that runs the place left at noon and I talked to him at 10:30am and he said it was ready and sitting out front. I got there at 4:30 and it was nowhere to be found. The guys in the shop were acting kind of weird, like they were trying to cover for something. Everything isn't going together. It wasn't very nice and the only thing worth anything on it was the tires. Now I don't have a truck and I'm not longer in the Blazer/Jimmy community. It didn't have full coverage, so I'm probably just going to have to eat this one. There's something going on though, because I figured up that I haven't been able to keep a car for more than a year and a half. This was my baby, I was almost done getting it the way I wanted and now this happens. Sorry, but I'm going to retire from the website. It's going to be probably 50yrs before I have enough money to even get a car. I'm sure as F@#$ not going to buy a car. It's definately going to be another Blazer, but this time I'm going to do some serious theft deterent on it though. GOD DARN THIEF'N SOB's!!! Thanks for letting me vent. Good luck with your 4x4's. Later.

Keep on wheel'n BOYZ!!

Alex
    [​IMG]What me get stuck? NEVER!![​IMG]

2. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

Re: So much for wanting to sell it, it got stolen!!

I had a car stolen once and the way it makes you feel is so horrible it cannot be put into words. I'm sorry you have to go thru this. But I want to say don't give up yet. My car was found 5 days later and I got it back except for the tires and wheels, and a couple thousand dollars worth of tools that were inside. I'm sure you reported the theft to the police so get the phone number to call to keep checking to see if they found it. Call it 3 or 5 times a day and do it on all their shifts. Be polite and use their names when you get the same people. It may help...I think it did in my case because they called me very excited when my car was located...like they were really in to it. When I asked when it was found, the answer was 5 minutes ago.
    As far as liability goes, the shop may be responsible...did they leave it unlocked with the keys in it? I would check with an attorney on this right away. If you can't afford that, call the Bar Association and see if they have a Lawyers Referral Service. If they do, you can get an initial consultation for $20 or $30. Also some colleges offer free consultation by volunteer lawyers on some evenings.
    I don't want to give you false hope, but it isn't time to give up yet. I hope this helps. Hang in there and keep in touch. Anybody else have any suggestions?

'89 K5 Silverado 4" lift w/BFG 33's

3. 89Jimmy

89Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Don't give up, man. Work the system like Gandolf said. Being polite to the cops when you call is SUPER important. Best of luck, keep your chin up.
    John

So Much to do, So LITTLE cash.

4. K5krazy

K5krazy Registered Member

Dude, I'm sorry to hear this. I had a '55 that was stolen, so I know how you feel. You have to remain positive though, material things can be replaced.

5. 79Guy

79Guy 1/2 ton status

I'm so sorry to hear about your truck. That is awful. I would think the shop is
    liable. Wouldn't hurt to call a lawyer.

Hey, don't drop out of the blazer world. It is a pretty good support group. You ARE part of the blazer/jimmy community still. It's not just what you drive, but where your heart is.

Good luck!

'79 Guy
    1 Blazer - 7 Children
    http://79guy.coloradok5.com

6. truyoopr

truyoopr Registered Member

dude i work at a garage and they are liable for it. Especially if the truck was unlocked. They are suppose to lock the vechile while it sits in there parking lot. Did they have your keys for you when you went to pick it up? If not then they are stupid. If you cant afford a lawyer see if you can go to small claims court. But i am positive that the shop has insurance. Get there insurance company and give them a call. Never give up. They (shop) will give in. Hope things turn out for you.

Come and Get Some

7. Toad

Toad 1/2 ton status

Don't give up hope. They might still find it. It was probably taken for a joy ride and is sitting in some farmers field. It might be a little thrashed and you may have to buy new tires or something but don't give up hope and don't quit this message board.

It's hard not to notice a lifted Jimmy with big tires and a bunch of lights on it. Give a picture of it to the police. It may help. It is easier to remember than trying to run license plates.

I wish you the best of luck. I know how bad I felt when my stereo was stolen. I can only imagine how bad you feel. Keep searching and don't give up.

8. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

The shop should be liable. They probably left the keys in it with it unlocked. Go out to their lot and soo if the other cars there are unlocked with keys in the ign. and take pictures of them for when you go to court and they say they always take the keys out. Make sure you can see the shops name or something in the pictures. That really sucks, I hope you get it back.

90K5

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I had an 88 GMC lowrider p/u stolen a few years back so I know how you feel! I was told that over 90% of stolen vehicles are recovered within 30 days and over half are recovered in less than a week. Hang in there dude and don't quit on your truck or this board!
    Mine was stolen as a revenge thing (long story) but was found after 23 days. All they really did was bake the tires off it and put a few small dents in it.
    In your case it does sound like the shop is liable.
    Go back and re-read all these posts, there is some excellent advice here from others that have been through this.
    Rene

[​IMG]

10. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Sorry to hear about that. The shops insurance should pay for it since it was in their posession. Just don't give up. What really sucks is most younger people can't afford full coverage because the rates are outragous. Liability is bad enough. I hope you get it back intact or the insurance pays you what its really worth.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods

11. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark

Make sure you tell the police anything really noticeable like a special tube bumper or different color tailgate. Anything that will make it stick out. Another trick would be to scan a pic in and print out like a hundred pictures on paper and take to the PD. They can give the pics to officers. That way it is in the patrol car and if they see anything close they will compare. Good Luck.

12. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Alex,

Please post a complete discription of your K5 including color, tag, rim style, light bar location, etc. I live in Wichita and will keep an eye out for it. I have some connections if I see it, it will be taken care of.

And make sure you have reported it to the police.

good luck

13. BLzr4x4ngkid

There are pictures of it in the pic gallery. It's dark blue with white rocker panels. It has a tube grille and 2 KC lights on the bumper. It has 2 tow hooks on the front as well. There is no front drive shaft, KC light bar with 4 white KC lights, "Redneck" on windshield, 4 Wheel Parts sticker on back window, sliding side windows, Pro Comp, No Fear, Super lift stickers on both sides of top(windows). The tires are 35" Swamper SX's with EA589 style wheels. There is chrome like tape stuff on the rockers too with black 4x4 stickers on both sides.

The keys were inside with my reciept. I have already talked to my next door neighbor who is also my lawyer. I was also told today at work by another lawyer that as long as I didn't pay or have my keys in my possession at the time it disappeared I am not liable and they are. It was locked, because there was a pile of glass sitting in the lot. Another weird thing, it was parked next door in another lot, not their's. I have never seen them park one of their customer's vehicles in the lot next door. They always try to pack them in their own lot. I have suspecious that the guys in the shop might have something to do with this all. The way they were acting was unusual and the owner of the shop(my dad's friend) wasn't there. I called at 10:30 Friday morning and he said it was ready and sitting out front, but it was gone at 4:30. I'm going to get my money and buy my friend's. It has a 15" lift and 42" Swampers on it. He's only asking $8,500 if I want it. It's pretty sweet. Anyway, I'm on the look out. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks GUYS!!

Alex

14. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

If you haven't made a police report yet, be sure to include your observations about the guys at the shop and why they seemed "funny". Your gut hunches can be right on at times. Think about it a while so you will be able to accurately and convincingly say why you think they were acting funny. It could be the difference between just getting and insurance check and actually catching the ..... who stole your K5.

15. BLzr4x4ngkid

Goose you got mail. I sent you an e-mail with some info. Thanks again.

Alex

16. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

good luck I hope u get ythat thing back, and they hang the jerk that stole it!!!!!!!!!

Carl...75 Blazer...Manhattan IL

17. clintsk5

clintsk5 1/2 ton status

I have a friend that had his just restored, lifted, new engine bad ass 1970 blazer stolen on his birthday!!that was about a year ago...he is still crying...sorry to here about that!!!

18. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Have you contacted the Police?????

That is the very first thing you MUST do. If you waste time, you're screwed. The cops will have a hard time figuring out the crime sceen a few days later. You should have contacted the police immediately. Also contact your insurance company and explain the situation. Do not point fingers at the shop people, let the Police and Insurance handle that. The Shop Is completely liable so you should get complete value of the rig regardless of your insurance status. Give us more info on this subject. Im torqued over this... [​IMG]

...This is exactly why I do not take my truck to any shops. Not even to fix a tire.

Another thing, did they return your keys??? If not, then they have something to do with the stolen rig. Just another thought.

Mudzer 1978/91 K5
    <font color=blue>www.mudzer.coloradoK5.com</font color=blue>

19. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Boy, I'm really sorry to hear such rotten news .I would be just sick if someone stole my wheels . Maybe Steve should put in a stolen Blazer forum . So people can put in info about their Blazer so people in that area can keep an eye out and report it .

20. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Damn son, that sucks. Sorry to hear that. I'll keep my eyes peeled around the mean streets of Bichita for it. Just out of curiousity, which shop did you take it to? Nails? I hope not. Give me a page or something. We need to drink some cold beer.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad