Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Update on Navy deserter

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by readymix, May 14, 2005.

1. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

SAN DIEGO - A U.S. sailor was sentenced to three months of hard labor Thursday for refusing to ship out for the Persian Gulf in a protest against the war in Iraq.

Pablo Paredes was also busted down from petty officer third class to seaman recruit, the lowest rank in the Navy.

A military judge, Lt. Cmdr. Bob Klant, imposed the sentence a day after finding Paredes guilty of refusing to board the board the amphibious assault ship USS Bonhomme Richard after it received orders for the Persian Gulf in December.

The 23-year-old New Yorker said he refused to support a war he believed was illegal and immoral.

Prosecutors had asked the judge to sentence Paredes to nine months of confinement. Paredes and prosecutors left the courtroom without commenting.

Paredes' lawyer, Jeremy Warren, called the judge's lesser sentence "a stunning blow to the prosecution."

"This is an affirmation of every sailor's and military person's right to speak out and follow their conscience," he said.

Paredes had requested conscientious objector status after he refused to board the ship. A Navy officer found that his refusal was based on political opposition to the Iraq war, not a moral opposition to all war, and recommended it be denied.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

he should be shot, if you don't want to fight in a war, don't join the armed forces :mad:

3. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

I've been to the Gulf twice.... I spent the better part of two years there. I don't care who you are or what you think - when you sign on that line, you'd better fight for your country, to the death, if need be, and you don't ask questions.

I've lost five friends close to me since the start of all this back in March '03 - two of them from way back in the day, from high school and middle school. I watched a friend of mine from my ship take a .50 cal to the chest, standing next to me. I don't want to go back. I have a year and a half left until I get out, and I'm looking forward to it. But in the back of my mind, I know there's a possibility that I could go back, and I will if I'm told.

Deserters should be shot, especially when they speak out against the government that they're sworn to protect.

4. aealliarmy

aealliarmy Registered Member

I second this. In boot camp they ask us how many people joined for education, and how many joined to fight for their country. when this is asked only a few in my division raised their hands when asked who was there to fight. I was seriously shocked then and still am shocked how many people that are in my squadron who protest the war and shun the government and the department of the navy for going to war yet those same agencies wirte their pay checks. :angry1: