Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

update on the TC/Tranny jake brake noise- new problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudNurI, Jun 16, 2002.

1. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Talked John into letting me take mudnuri out today,since it was father's day, I even let him drive. As you may know from the last post on this topic- I have a horrid "jake brake" sounding noise at speeds above 45mph (approx)...

today, we were messing with the tranny while driving down the road..here's the scoop- 1st, 2nd, 3rd, no noise- regardless of speed...4th gear- AND neutral YES AND NEUTRAL the nasty jake brake comes back. But only at speeds about 45 mph...speedo is somewhere around 55 so I'm guessing its 45 mph

It had been reported in other posts, that my chain in the TC does not move while in 2 wheel drive. which leads me to believe its not the chain. I thought well, maybe 4th gear is shot. well, not if it's doing it in neutral too.

Driveshaft angle was fixed by previous owner when lifts were done, U-Joints were replaced when axle swap was done, maybe 200 miles ago....

is there something in my transmission or tc that would or could be doing this... just an FYI- it had this noise with the 3/4 axles and still has it with the 1/2 axles.

shoot some more idea's at me, it beats paying 54+ an hour that I'd be paying the mechanic...

thanks guys!
    Brandy

2. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

It still sounds like driveline problems, what was done to fix the driveline angle? If the u-joints are at different angles it will do exactly what you are saying, mine used to do it between 50 and 60, which is the speed yours is spinning. If you added a pinion angle shim then the angles are too different, and you need to lower your transfer case. What gears are you running? How tall is your lift? Which T-case?

3. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

it def sounds like drive line vibe...mine was doin the exact same thing...prob fixed with a c/v shaft and adjust the rear end so its pointed directly at the t case...no more vibes here /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I didn't get techincal with the previous owner today- but I'll get in touch with him tomorrow as to what he did to fix it,,,

NP208
    4" suspension, 3" body
    3.73 gears

thanks guys
    Brandy

5. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

check out the transfer case, the chain only turns in two wheel drive, but these transfers (208's & 241's) are prone to slider problems inside which allow the front slider to partially engage while moving and cause a ratcheting type noise, even when the tramsmission is in neutral. the slider forks have plastic tabs on them which break, and the forks themselves are aluminum which sometimes fail. I'd look there first