Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Update on towing Blazers and trucks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 6.2Blazer, Sep 19, 2002.

1. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Feb 24, 2000
    Just thought some people would be interested in an update on towing since the question arises periodically.

I've been thinking about buying a trailer to pull my K5 to the trail on for awhile now, but was concerned about how my current tow vehicle would handle it ('01 Dodge Ram 1500, 5.9L V-8, auto, 4.10 gears, factory tow package) that heavy of a load being it was "only" a 1/2 ton truck.

Also, I had been keeping an eye out for used trailers but have only found 16' long car haulers which I thought would not be long enough

Earlier this week I borrowed a friends 16' tandem axle car hauler (7,000 GVW) to pick up an '77 K30 (it was running and cost $750...but that's another story!). The trailer has brakes and I used a weight distribruting hitch setup with 800 lb. bars.

I was a little concerned of how my truck would handle the load and how the longbed '77 would fit on the trailer. Anyway, to make a long story short the setup towed great. Even when driving through some hilly and winding back roads you could hardly tell the trailer was back there in regards to handling. The small block and auto trans seemed to have plenty of power to get up to speed and climb smaller grades.

Sure, a 1-ton dually would the optimum setup but for occassional towing a properly set up 1/2ton with a good trailer and weight distrubition hitch seems to do just fine.
  2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

May 9, 2000
    Hey long time no speak!!!! So you're puutin that Dodge to work? THose Dodges tow very nicely! I hauled my blazer a few times to Lisbon and Wellsville, OH and also brought a Blazer home from NJ once. My bros Dodge did great! I didn't have trailer brakes either!
    Too bad my bro traded his DOdge in on a 2000 TJ though, I miss that thing! Although I do have a truck of my own now.

So hows it been?