Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

*update on truck avenger*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jtl_77, Apr 18, 2005.

1. jtl_77

jtl_77 Registered Member

I had installed a 770cfm truck avenger on my 454ci in my 77 K10 and it did'nt work very well ( low speed bog ). After talking to Holley they said I needed a 670cfm on the mostly stock 454.
    So I sent them my 770cfm and they replaced it with a new 670cfm. Installed it Friday afternoon and it works perfectly!! I did'nt even have to adjust the float level! I have to get a vac. gauge from a friend to check the idle mixture but right now it is running great!!
    Hopefully this week I will have the time to get it on some hills to see what it is capable of.
    Thanks to everyone who replied to my other thread for the help.

2. fink

fink Registered Member

nice to hear

Did they charge you anything for the change-up? Ive got the same problem but on a 383 went through all the accelorator pump cams, jetts, etc. but nuttin helped, just changed when the bog happened.

3. DERBINATOR

DERBINATOR 1/2 ton status

Glad to hear it!

I beleive they'll change them out for free, maybe shipping, I was able to exchange mine back to the place I purchased it from.

4. jtl_77

jtl_77 Registered Member

All it cost me was to ship it to them. They payed to get it back. When I called and talked to the avenger tech he gave me a number to add to the shipping address so they would know what was going on with it.

5. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

I just picked up a 670 for a somewhat built 350 SBC and it runs terrible. I have been on the phone with Holley every day for a week trying to get it figured out. The worst part was when I first turned on the key, it started pouring gas from the secondary venturies and from the vent crossover tube. Not sure if I am happy with this thing yet.

6. Jew Pimpin

Jew Pimpin Registered Member

I purchased a 670 truck avenger for my 86 k5 and had mad hesitation and stuttering problems and after two replacements the Holley tech told me that every once in a while that carb just doesn't work on a 350. They swapped me a street avenger and it worked fine. Then I blew up my motor last year and have a new crate 350. I want to give the truck avenger another try.

7. garlicbreath

I have to say, their tech dept is much better lately. It also helps to ask for the guys thay have experience with a truck avenger. I called today, talked to a guy named matt, seems to know his shiznit. He is 2 day airmailing me an accelerator nozzle and choke cam for free to hopefully fix my off idle bog and iradic idle. When it runs good, it is way better than my old 750, just need to get it consistant.

8. jtl_77

jtl_77 Registered Member

Well I put the 670 on and everything seemed o.k. The floats where close as was the idle mixture. Seemed to run fine but it was a couple of days before I could take it out and really hammer on it. It did great on the hills but have'nt bounced it around to bad.

Now the problem is that it acts like the secondaries are opening to fast. Runs great till 2500rpm then struggles to 3500-3800 then takes off again. I changed the black spring for the silver to see what would happen and it made it alot worse. So changed it back and called Holley again. I talked to a guy named Ricky and he said it sounded like a internal problem with the carb. so they are sending me another one to try. This time they are paying all the shipping! I should get it today and put on so I will post after I see what happens.

9. garlicbreath

well, he said he would 2nd day mail it, that was tuesday and I still don't have any parts yet and it's saturday. GRR, and I gave an event to go to tomorrow, that I can't play in now.