Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Update, opinions needed...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Avery4jc, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey guys I have been working on a few things now that I've passed smog. I've been able to focus my thoughts and funds on the fun stuff (at least to me) compared to dumping everything into smog. Anyways first off I tore open my dash for fun (I'm sick in the head I know) and properly installed my head unit (the original owner just stuck it in when it should have gone in and then had the dash installed around it) and I ran wiring (pita) and installed two pioneer 6X9's behind the seat and one 6" mid w/ 1" tweeter in the passenger side front dash (haven't found where to mount the other front speaker on the driver's side yet) so that sounds great compared to my old setup......

Emissions Sticker 001.5.JPG

Emissions Sticker 002.5.JPG

Emissions Sticker 003.5.JPG

Emissions Sticker 004.5.JPG

Emissions Sticker 005.5.JPG

2. Avery4jc

Next on the to do list was my front driveshaft...I've spoken with a few of you about the spacer that came w/ the superlift and have decided that since I already have everything I've got nothing to lose and to just install the spacer w/ the stock front driveshaft and when it breaks oh well I'd have to buy a new driveshaft for the front anyways. I spent a while cleaning up the stock front shaft and although it has some surface rust (which I sanded down and busted out the rattle can to help seal) it flexes, twists, and telescopes very well. The only problem is that I'm missing one of the, hmmm I don't really know what it's called I'll call it a cap on the cross that has the greased rods in it that act as a bearing for the c clamps to hold it to the front axle. (that probably didn't make any sense). So I'll have to buy a new one before I can install it.....

Emissions Sticker 013.5.JPG

Emissions Sticker 014.5.JPG

Emissions Sticker 015.5.JPG

Emissions Sticker 016.5.JPG

Emissions Sticker 017.5.JPG

3. Avery4jc

Last but not least is my freebie! It probably isn't a big deal to you guys but for a newbie to the 4X4 world like me it made my week. My old physics teacher from freshman year and my current high powered rocket teacher at school who is the encyclopedia of off-roading (I've mentioned him on here before) offered up some free parts to me, a transmission cooler that is too big for his *cough* bronco but he said that it would be an insane power steering cooler since I'm running "way too huge a tire", silly F*RD guys there only 38" so I was happy about scoring that.
    Oh and some free tow hooks for the front of my truck of which I forgot to take a picture of but we all know what they look like.....

Emissions Sticker 018.5.JPG

Emissions Sticker 019.5.JPG

4. Avery4jc

Well guys that's my update, feel free to comment on the good, bad and the ugly.

-Avery

5. Avery4jc

hey guys, this little thread got lost down in the list. I was wondering what you guys thought about using that tranny cooler for my power steering cooler instead of for the tranny. Would it be worth it?
    Also, my hvac doesn't work in the truck but when I put it on heat some heat does come through the vents but since the blower motor won't turn on it doesnt blow out. While the AC is completley shot. I tore open the dash for my stereo and pulled out the unit and nothing looked loose and all the contacts looked clean and when I turn on the blower switch I hear the motor click under the dash once but it won't come on. Has anyone ever had to pop one open or is it not worth the hassle?

-Avery

6. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

what's the dead-cat thing hanging from your truck in the first post?

7. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

I dont see why that cooler wouldnt work.

Yeah and what is that black thing?

8. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

Oh and is this what you were talking about missing? Thats what ya call a universal joint, or u-joint. In this picture it seems that one of the caps is missing. I would pick up a new u-joint from the auto parts and install it. I would also pick up a spare to carry in the truck. They can fail when wheelin.

To install it, it should have a snap ring on the 2 caps where its installed in the yoke of the driveshaft. Remove these snap rings with a pair of plyers.
    Then find a socket thats a hair smaller than the cap. hold the socket on the cap and hit it with a hammer, driving the cap down through the yoke. Then u can pop the cap off. Then flip the shaft over and do the same on the other side of the yoke. Then you should be able to remove the u joint. Then install the new one.

A haynes manual will give a good step by step of this. If you dont have one I would suggest picking one up. They have a lot of good info.

Hope this helps.

[​IMG]

9. ct85k10

ct85k10 1/2 ton status

the truck looks good

the blower motor is actuly under the hood (i thought it was under the dash to at first:doah:) on the far pasenger side of the fire wall right agnst the fender and it is realy easy to change

Colby

10. bnate

bnate 1/2 ton status

I think the fur ball in the first picture is his dash panel ! ! !

Yikes, that's scary.

Do you have the dangling balls from the windshield to go with that pimpin' dash panel ?! !?

11. Avery4jc

bnate: yep thats the dash and no I don't have any fuzzy dice hanging (although we were just in vegas so I should have gotten some) :)

ct85k10: I really thought that it was up under the dash, is all of that just duct work? I thought I heard it clicking from there but I must have heard it through the firewall. Thanks.

hunterguy86: yeah that's what I'm missing, I actually tried exactly what you told me to before I posted here, I poped out the snap ring w/ some pliars and got a socket the same size as the end then hit it with a rubber mallet that I had, it didn't really move much though and I hit it hard. I bet it could be rusted in.

Thanks guys.

-Avery

12. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

'Sposed to use a press for that job, iron hammer on the trail, or a large vise works too. That black fuzz creature is what you rub on the fenders to get the juice to run the blower. It looks like it hasn't eaten in a while.:haha: