Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Update: Pissed

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Nate87k5, Jun 25, 2000.

1. Nate87k5

Nate87k5 Registered Member

Well, it just keeps getting worse with this A/C shop. I did alittle research on the so called R12 that they put in my truck. While I was at the shop I watch them fill the truck with what I thought was a name brand type of R12 called Freeze-12. After doing alittle research I found out that Freeze-12 is a less effiecent alternitive for R12. It is half the cost of R12 and lighter. Which means that it take 10% less to fill a system than R12. The really screwed up thing was that this shop charged me for R12 freon at 40 bucks a pound. I called them on this and they did sayed that they had made a mistake. They now what to take it out and replace it with R12. My problem is whether I should trust them or not. I really dont want to take it back but I feel I dont have much of a choose. This is one of the reason I like to work on my own truck. I know what I am doing to it and I know if it is done right with good parts. I am so glad that I sat out in the shop bay watching them work on the truck or I would have had no idea what they were putting in my truck. I cant even imagine how many people before me got hosed on this kind of wrip off. Makes me sick to even think about it. I would have to say that one of the hardest things to find out there is a good tech that is honest, fair, and trust worthy. Thats all for now. Hope this doesnt happen to any of you..... By the way for anyone in AZ. Dont go to Wright Brothers Automotive and Air on Bell and 59th AVE. You have been warned.

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Autozone sells r 12 for 20 bucks a lb. Not sure what brand it is. My buddy's father in law sells a mix of r22 and 134 you can stick in the system without any conversions. Its got a head pressure near 350 lbs. A few guys at work swear by it. Mine is doing ok as of now (hopefully the blazer cant read what I'm writing) but when i spring a leak I'm going to try this stuff out.
    I've learned that when you do your own work you can't blame anyone else. I've been looking for a good mechanic for years. I'm not saying they're not out there, but when it comes to my money and what I do to earn my money, I'm the best there is. I give a [censored] about my blazer. God help myself and my family and all those near my blazer when I'm on the road! Sorry to here all the B.S. you're going through. Good luck.

creepin and crawlin

Jim

3. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Nate...they have made a huge blunder! Alternative drop ins can work however they will have to change out the accumulator and flush the system out really good because the one thing you don't do is mix [censored]! That means after the flush it will have to sit on the vacum pump for a good hour to ensure all that stuff is gone...then they will have to fill your system with new mineral oil and charge it again..and in view of the f--- up it should be at no charge to you! Every once in a while we get a truck in the shop with a drop in refridgerant....usually we have to turn him away as just hooking up to our equiptment will contaminate our machines and render them useless. So stay on there a-- and don't let them BS you...what a bunch of idiots!

I'll be leaving for the Why To K5 trip early thursday so i will not be able to help you out until the trip is over bud...hope you can get it all worked out!

AZBLAZER

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban