Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

**UPDATE** Salary Negotiation? *LONG* *DELETED*

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Lance, Jul 28, 2003.

1. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

Post deleted by Lance

2. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Re: Salary Negotiation? *LONG*

Hi Lance.

I think what you have to ask yourself is, do I really like the job they are offering and the company/people? If no, then I see this as a no-brainer...don't take it and keep looking for something else in your target markets, out west and TN.

If yes, then it becomes more complicated. Cost of living in Atlanta is definitely higher and can be a WHOLE lot higher depending on where in Atlanta you live. I'm from Huntsville, AL (folks are still there) and the cost of living in Alabama is so much less than Atlanta it's not even funny. For example, I'm 29 years old and drive a 98 F-150 as my daily driver...full insurance w/ homeowner discount and $500 deductible is approx $750/year here in ATL. Yearly tag renewal is $250ish. There's $1k and you haven't even bought another car yet to replace the one your current company provides.

Also, don't forget about the lovely traffic congestion in Atlanta. Unless you get a place right next to where you are going to work, I'd figure being in the car at least 1 to 1.5 hours each day. There is inevitably a wreck every freaking day.

Not surprised that the company is not offering relo. This is a tough economy and there are a ton of applicants for each position, so the company has the luxury of waiting for the perfect candidate at the perfect price. advantage: employer. You could ask for a signing bonus to cover your relo costs.

They contacted you b/c they heard good things...that works in your favor. Even better that they're a competitor, makes them want you even more. advantage: Lance. I would use all the things you just said in the negotiation...now my wife has to find a new job, cost of living increase, have to buy a new car, etc, etc. Determine the salary you would need to make it worth your while to take the job and stick to it. Obviously try to get them to toss out the first number. One of my favorite comeback lines after they ask you what your salary expectations are is..."What would someone w/ my skills and experience typically be compensated at within your company?" The questions can go back and forth until both of you are blue in the face but be prepared if you're stuck and have to toss out a number. If you do, say the number w/ confidence and then shut up...wait for the other person to speak next. You might be pleasantly surprised by an "OK." /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Well, I think I've rambled long enough. Hope it has helped some. Let us know what happens. Would be nice to have another CK5er in ATL! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

It does really sound like you want to get to TN or out west. If that's the case, stick to your guns and focus on those areas. Don't take a job in a new town (unless of course the money is awesome!) if you know in your heart of hearts that that is not where you ultimately want to be.

I had been living in TX for 5 years (loved it) but my wife and I wanted to get back closer to family. I was offered a position in Birmingham, AL but I turned it down b/c it just wasn't right for me. As hard as I tried in my mind to make it right for me, I knew that I'd ultimately be miserable in that job. That was one of the toughest decisions I've had to make in my life. But I was fortunate enough to get a better offer for a better position for better money in Atlanta and here were are.

3. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Lance-
    Good Luck. I just put my notice in today, but don't have anything firm lined up. Just burned out.
    PM me if you need any GC contacts in Atlanta.

4. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the tips! The position would be a half-step up with potential for future advancements unlike my present position. They aren't looking to fill a position that someone has vacated as much as they are making room for me in their organization. That's good for me because I'm already at the top of the food-chain here (small company), but I don't know who has the negotiating advantage in that situation.

It looks to me like I need to re-consider my transportation expenses by an additional $1,000.00, which sucks. We've decided that I would just take her car (which is paid for) and we would buy her something new. That way she has a good car and I have a used car that I know the history on. No sense in destroying the value of a new car when her's will be fine for my purposes.

As for the traffic, I've hit the rush-hour there more times than I care to remember from all directions. I've never noticed a good direction to be heading in at that time. But then again, my commute here started out at around 30 mins and is now approaching the 1 hr mark and we've only been here 3 years.

The office is located off Atlanta Road in Smyrna, which I know zero about that area, but if every thing comes together we would undoubtedly move somewhere close to Woodstock, where her sister lives and I know that is at least an hour commute. The only redeeeming part of that is I have travel with work so I won't have to experience it everyday.

What about a general idea on taxes? State, property, etc.. Can't ask my sister-in-law yet because we don't want to get everyone excited and then not be able to work out a deal.

How about a ball park housing number? ~1600 s.f home around here goes for around $140,000 with the usual exceptions.

I guess I'll just pick my magic number and stick to it, like I said Atlanta isn't bad it just isn't anywhere I've ever considered re-locating. I won't be heartbroken if I don't get it.

Thanks again for the help,

Lance

5. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

Rob,

What are you going to do? Are you going to switch fields or just employers? Are you staying in FL? Good luck and Let me know if you need anything.

BTW, did they close out the T.I.'s on Emerald Coast yet?

Lance

6. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Have an interview next week with a local hospital doing CM work. I may switch fields, don't know. Trying to stay local, but there are a couple new branch offices in Atlanta looking for people.
    We are on our last TI unless the Dialysis unit comes along in the next week or two, after that, I don't care!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Let me konw where you end up.

BTW this is a good cost of living Calc .

7. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Allright, a good position w/ opps for future advancement! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Even better that they're making room for you in their org...puts you in driver's seat for negotiations! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yep, good idea...wife has new reliable car, hubby drives used "well-maintained" vehicle. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Woodstock, nice area. Just west of me. Traffic to Smyrna would be rough, you're right, I-75/I-285 intersection is a mess, but like you said you'll be traveling w/ your job so you don't have to battle it everyday.

Go here for tax info tax info
    I *believe* Woodstock is in Cherokee county. Don't forget the City of Woodstock taxes.

Housing...probably around $90-$100 sq foot, but that gets you a siding house...all-brick homes in ATL are a luxury item...$400k and up. Anything less than that is siding. Still trying to figure that damn siding thing out...all the homes in Alabama are 4 sided-brick for the same money, and the two states are side by side??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Keep us posted! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Have an interview next week with a local hospital doing CM work. I may switch fields, don't know. Trying to stay local, but there are a couple new branch offices in Atlanta looking for people.
    We are on our last TI unless the Dialysis unit comes along in the next week or two, after that, I don't care!!!

Let me konw where you end up.

BTW this is a good cost of living Calc

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the calc Rob. If you are interested in CM work, UAB had a position for that the last few weeks listed in the paper. Don't know if B'ham is some place you are interested in, but I thought your wife was from Anniston (or close-by) and I might know where you can get a house for a good deal. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif If you want, I'll look that info up and send it to you.

[ QUOTE ]

Allright, a good position w/ opps for future advancement! Even better that they're making room for you in their org...puts you in driver's seat for negotiations!

Yep, good idea...wife has new reliable car, hubby drives used "well-maintained" vehicle.

Woodstock, nice area. Just west of me. Traffic to Smyrna would be rough, you're right, I-75/I-285 intersection is a mess, but like you said you'll be traveling w/ your job so you don't have to battle it everyday.

Go here for tax info tax info
    I *believe* Woodstock is in Cherokee county. Don't forget the City of Woodstock taxes.

Housing...probably around $90-$100 sq foot, but that gets you a siding house...all-brick homes in ATL are a luxury item...$400k and up. Anything less than that is siding. Still trying to figure that damn siding thing out...all the homes in Alabama are 4 sided-brick for the same money, and the two states are side by side???

Keep us posted!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks again for the info!

As for the brick thing, consider each one is touched a minimum of 3 times. The additional time it takes to get that house on the market with the additional labor only cuts into the builder's profit which doesn't appeal to them in this seller's market.

Later,

Lance