Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

*****UPDATE **** Sealed-beam conversion kits...*****UPDATE******

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Can Can, Oct 28, 2001.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

<font color=red>UPDATE</font color=red> - I looked and looked for the Hella conversion kit that everyone is raving about with no luck. I did, however, find a Bosch system(maybe the one you're talking about Mike?). I assume it is similar to the Hella. Well, let me tell you - WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!! I only replaced the two low beam lamps(the upper ones on a 4 headlight setup), and I can honestly say that I have double the light on the road at night. It took about 30 minutes to install both sides from start to finish, and it was a breeze to aim them.

If any of you are unhappy with the amount of light you're getting out of sealed-beam headlights, I totally recommend installing a halogen conversion kit. It's probably the best $90 I've spent on the truck in a long time......

<font color=red>END OF UPDATE</font color=red>

Has anyone installed a sealed-beam conversion kit on their K5? Every year around this time my honey always gets on my case about the crappy headlights on the 84. I started asking around and everyone I've talked to has said the same thing- "GO WITH A HALOGEN BULB CONVERSION KIT". Someother guys have said you can find better sealed-beam headlights, but I haven't found any yet.

SOOOOOOOOOO........can anybody help me? What can I expect to spend and what's involved with making the system work(ie wiring/splicing, etc...)? Cost isn't a big deal, because mama and the kids make a 70 mile trip on the highway at least once a week after dark, so I'd feel a lot better if the truck gave off more light then the present dim blobs of yellow it does now......

EDIT:

After another hour in front of the computer, I found out that Sylvania makes an upgraded H4656/4651 sealed-beam headlamp. They have two brands - Cool Blue Halogen and Halogen XtraVision.

Has anybody used or heard of these babies?

<font color=blue> NEVER FORGET, NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>&lt;P ID="edit"&gt;&lt;FONT class="small"&gt;&lt;EM&gt;Edited by CanmoreK5 on 10/28/01 07:29 PM.&lt;/EM&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;/P&gt;<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by CanmoreK5 on 10/31/01 04:46 PM.</FONT></P>

2. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Re: Sealed-beam conversion kits...

JC whittney has them I will be ordering soon. I would think they are much better than stock.

3. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I use the Xtra vision and love them - a little on the expensive side ($14.95 a piece at the TA truck stop), but they work as well or better than the plastic/replaceable bulb jobs. These things are OEM on Freightliners according to the parts guy at the truck stop.

Of the 5 toughest dogs in the neighborhood, my cat's ranked #3
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

4. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

Why not go to a HID conversion, pricey at about 200 or so, but a got a guy who did his, and wow! some frigin' bright white light.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I installed the conversion on my Cherokee. With going over the pass skiing during the winter the extra vision will be used. Mine were on Ebay and I paid $35 for 2 housings and 2 bulbs..mine are 80/85 watts but are rated at 100 watts and are the blue color. I want them on the Willy's also and Summit has them in the back with the truck stuff for the housings for ...I think $50 for the pair

<font color=red>Life is like a mud hole:</font color=red><font color=blue>
    When the S#!T gets deep, you have to keep moving and friends can always pull you out</font color=blue>
    55 Willy's

6. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

The Hella conversion in Summit is $40 and includes the housings and bulbs. The HID conversions are damn expensive.

<font color=red>Life is like a mud hole:</font color=red><font color=blue>
    When the S#!T gets deep, you have to keep moving and friends can always pull you out</font color=blue>
    55 Willy's

7. Can Can

Pugs- Are the XtraVision a replacement lamp or do you have to buy the lamp and bulb seperate?

If I can simply replace the whole headlight without having to install a new housing and mess around with wiring in a bulb receptacle, I'd rather go that way.......

<font color=blue> NEVER FORGET, NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>

8. WinnipegK5

WinnipegK5 Registered Member

I am seriously looking at a Hella kit they have at Canadian Tire for $89.00. I have a similar set up on my 69 Vette and it works great, huge improvement.

Mike
    "Winnipeg K5"
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/ultimike4>http://community.webshots.com/user/ultimike4</a>

9. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Paul I run the Xtra visons, just plug them in like your normal light. They have made the differnce for the last couple of years. I am going to change out to my PIAA's now. I have gotten myself a phantom grille and plan to switch out the driving set with 85 watt and the hi-beam set with 130 watt.

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/thatguydrew23>http://community.webshots.com/user/thatguydrew23</a>
    "JEEP....SO GIRLY, BARBIE HAD TO HAVE IT"

10. JoeAngelicchio

JoeAngelicchio 1/2 ton status

Paul, I've got the Quartz Halogen Hella Headlamps that are legal in Canada but not in the states. They have the European design lens with a different low beam cutoff that lights up the right side at a higher angle so you can see the signs alot better. The H4's are 55/60 watts and the H3's are 55 watts (highbeam). These lights are so good that I would not even have to get auxillary lights such as driving lights. They are a bright white beam and are probably the single best safety upgrade you can do to the truck. I wouldn't get anything else but the Hellas for headlights. IMHO [​IMG]

<font color=green>Joe Angelicchio
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jangelicchio>http://community.webshots.com/user/jangelicchio</a>

Lisle, Ontario, CANADA</font color=green>

11. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

They're a replacement lamp - took about 45 minutes to install including reaiming them and new trim rings. While they aren't quite as bright as the HID, they put out alot of good white light, and don't annoy the Highway Patrol.

<a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

12. Can Can

45 minutes, eh? Is there something I'm missing, or are you just slow[​IMG]? Drew said they just plug right in light the OEM bulbs......Do the XtraVision come with a different style of trim ring?

Did you replace all four headlights or just the low-beam ones? My 84 has the four light system......

<font color=blue> NEVER FORGET, NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>

13. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I replaced all 4 - while I was at it, and had everything apart, I cleaned/replaced everything I could get to. Otherwise, it'd just be a quickie plug in/screw in job. And I am a tad slow - the beer fridge in the garage was a bad idea[​IMG]

14. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

That's the Hella's I have AWSOME! Mine are the 200mm square 2 headlight system. I have owned these lights since 86. Just keep buying vehicles they fit in. Right now they are in my Supra. I ran some 90/100 bulbs for a while. Man they were bright on high. I could get auto dimming headlights on caddies to shut down at almost a mile. Never get flashed on the low beams. The best lights I have ever had the pleasure to own. Hella make a darn fine product.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

15. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I've often thought about upgrading to some of these better headlights, the only thing that keeps me from doing it is my off-road driving style (or lack thereof). I have a hard enough time keeping the KCs (knock-offs, of course) intact.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

16. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I run the JC Whitney H4 conversion headlights............simple plug in installation with your choice of bulb combo's. Mine are the 85watt low/120watt high beam. Great cheap improvement, think the whole conversion cost about $40 and took half an hour max.

Next best thing to add to this conversion is the headlight relay wiring kit.............can't remember who sells them but supposed to add even more brightness.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

17. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

If y ou are going to do it, go with Bosch E-code housings!!!!!!! Better light pattern than the Hellas!! I have them in my Probe and have talked to many guys that had the Hellas and switched to the Boschs and raved about them....

They are illegal in the US though, but I have been running them for over a year without a problem. I also started out with Osram Xenon bulbs that had a 80w low beam and a 100w high beam.. Then when those went, I got PIAA Hyper white bulbs in a 95W low beam and a 135w high beam.... They are nice and light up the road very nicely without blinding people do to the E-code cut lenses. The lenses put more light on the road and on the passenger side of the road that light up the road sign very nicely.....

If you find a source for the Bosch E-code housings let me know!! I have been looking for some but the supplier I got the ones for my Probe from isn't on-line anymore..

Mike

<font color=green>"1024x768x256... Sounds like one mean woman."</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

18. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I found this info on Hella's website. Maybe it will prove useful for the ones who want upgrades like myself. http://www.hella.co.nz/crossref/qh_inserts.htm I checked with a conversion and the 165mmX100mm should be direct fit for us us with the 4 headlight systems.

19. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

I use IPFS lights also im installing a set of IPF fogs and a pair of kc hilighters

88k5 silverado w4"lift <font color=orange>d44 and corp14ff</font color=orange> with 4.11

20. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Ok, I'm going by both memory and what my roomate explained to me as to why a lot of our lights are dim and almost useless. He said it has to do with resistance. You get power first coming from the electrical system about 13 volts or so (give or take) and the power first hits your headlight switch. Well that thing creates a good amount of resistance, especially if you have an older rig. After the switch the power is directed toward the high beam/low beam switch, again more resistance and power taken away from the circuit. The power then finally goes to the bulbs and by then its been reduced to a mere 8 to 11 volts (depending on how old the system). What he did on his 75 was install some relays after the high beam/lowbeam switch and before the bulbs. It cost him less than 5 bucks for the relays at the boneyard and his headlights on low beam are brighter than mine on high beam. The relay restores the power loss and sends a full amount of power to the lights to which they havent received in years. Just my 2 cents....

Crawlin the rocks with my K5
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.rockreadyk5.com>http://www.rockreadyk5.com</a>