Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

***UPDATE***The best oil to run in a built hard driven small block?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rjfguitar, Jan 11, 2004.

1. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

So what is the best oil out there for v-8's? I have about 7 or 8K on my new 406 and it's time to drain out the cheap "break in" oil for the last time and pour in some good stuff. I was thinking Mobile 1 synthetic 15-50. I have heard royal purple is a very good oil too. What do you guys use and suggest, I wan't only the best for this motor because it gets used and abused and engine longevity is important. Is it really true that a good synthetic helps the motor rev up just a little faster and help it gain just a couple of extra horsepower?

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Re: The best oil to run in a built hard driven small block?

I'm sure there is better, but I always ran Valvoline 20/50 in the hot rods.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

A-M-S-O-I-L

I dunno what you'd run 15/50 for though. If you're trying to save your engine, run thinner oil. Most wear occurs at startup anyway, plus a synthetic 5W30 will protect your engine in more extreme of temperatures than a conventional 20W50.

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

royal purple.
    but at just under 9.00 a quart.....
    i am a Mibil 1 guy. figure if its good for a vette, ferrari, porsche, then its good for me.
    10w30

Grant

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Whatsssuuuup
    My faterinlaw swears by RedLine Oil for synthetic.
    I have never run synthetic before but that is only cuz I never had a brand new engine before.Synthetic in old engines just leaks more /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif. I probly will with my new BBC in a few months /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    A-M-S-O-I-L

I dunno what you'd run 15/50 for though. If you're trying to save your engine, run thinner oil. Most wear occurs at startup anyway, plus a synthetic 5W30 will protect your engine in more extreme of temperatures than a conventional 20W50.

[/ QUOTE ]Really, I knew about the cold start up thing but I have better oil pressure with 20/50 than I did with 10/30. I am very interested in what you were saying Tim, more info please. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif And I was talking about a 15/50 synthetic and mobile 1 labels their 15/50 as the high performance viscosity. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

7. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Whatsssuuuup
    My faterinlaw swears by RedLine Oil for synthetic.
    I have never run synthetic before but that is only cuz I never had a brand new engine before.Synthetic in old engines just leaks more /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif. I probly will with my new BBC in a few months /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Hey Burt, whats up man! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Oh yeah...duhh /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif...red line! I forgot about that brand, very good but expensive oil.

8. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

castrol synthetic (syntec)
    i run castrol engine oil in the 99 blazer and the 86 POSk10..
    great stuff.. im running 20-50 right now.. going to go down to 5w30 next oil change..

9. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Sup Dude /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    RedLine is $$$$ but you can wait a lot longer(go more miles) to change it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    RedLine is $$$$ but you can wait a lot longer(go more miles) to change it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    damn, I like changing my oil! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

hahhahaa ya I thought of that too /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif LOL

12. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    damn, I like changing my oil! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    you can change mine ifn ya like.. ill even let you put the extra capacity filter on.. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    A-M-S-O-I-L

[/ QUOTE ]Really, I knew about the cold start up thing but I have better oil pressure with 20/50 than I did with 10/30. I am very interested in what you were saying Tim, more info please. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif And I was talking about a 15/50 synthetic and mobile 1 labels their 15/50 as the high performance viscosity. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

1. You're seeing more oil pressure because pressure is essentially showing you resistance to flow. More oil pressure doesn't equal more protection.

2. Even the so-called 0W synthetic oils still protect to higher temperature extremes than any synthetic oil. Synthetic oil is engineered for extremes of temperature both high and low. It will have a lower pour point and stay thin down to a lower temperature, and it will have a higher point where the heat begins to break it down. Although running a heavier weight will give you MORE protection in the heat, if you manage to cook synthetic 5W30, you've got worse problems than can be adressed with just oil.

Basically, thin oil gets to stuff quicker because it flows better at startup. Because it's synthetic and has better properties for the heat, it'll protect better than any conventional oil, no matter what weight you choose.

It's simply the nature of synthetic oil. Good for extremes of temperature, because that's what it's engineered for.

Synthetic blends? I could go on forever on them, but I'll just tell you that they're one of the biggest scams in auto parts in general, and that they generally offer hardly any additional protection over conventional motor oil.

14. Hustler

Hustler 1/2 ton status

I have always had good luck with Royal Purple.

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I have always had good luck with Royal Purple.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's funny, me too! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I use Castrol stuff in everything. I used to use Havoline Formula 3 in everything but it no longer exists.

Castrol GTX is a pretty good oil and since I only get 1500-2200 miles out of my oil before it gets saturated with dirt and gas I run it instead of synthetic. I always run 10w40. When it gets really cold out I run 5w50 Castrol Syntec.

In my opinion, it's more important to keep your oil clean than it is to keep quality oil in it. Running synthetic oil makes the oil last longer but it has to be kept clean. And just because it doesn't look dirty doesn't mean it isn't. If you plan on getting a lot of miles out of your oil you have to use a quality filter like Wix. The Fram PH5s I buy won't hack it.

Next, is you have to choose your viscosity of oil. If it's too thin you'll pump it through the motor like it were kerosene. That doesn't do you any good because it just robs horsepower. If it's too thick you won't get enough oil through the motor and it'll heat up and break down.

Even with a standard oil pump it is possible to pump all the oil out of the pan and up into the motor. I know if I'm a pint low I actually lose some oil pressure. Mine's due to poor drainback out of the heads and crank bearings that are a bit loose.

17. jerry303

jerry303 Registered Member

Wow, so many factors on what oil to use...How the hell do you decide then?

18. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

Hmm, there is no "Best" oil I don't think but Mobil 1 is easy to get, fairly cheap at Wallmart and it's right up there with the front runners.

If you have a large truck stop or tractor supply shop in your neck of the woods,,,, you might want to try Mobil Delvac 1. It's a 5W40 synthetic that is one of the best oils out there. Caterpiller also sells it under their name.

Here, try this link for some good reading.
    http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi

19. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

20. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]

1. You're seeing more oil pressure because pressure is essentially showing you resistance to flow. More oil pressure doesn't equal more protection.

2. Even the so-called 0W synthetic oils still protect to higher temperature extremes than any synthetic oil. Synthetic oil is engineered for extremes of temperature both high and low. It will have a lower pour point and stay thin down to a lower temperature, and it will have a higher point where the heat begins to break it down. Although running a heavier weight will give you MORE protection in the heat, if you manage to cook synthetic 5W30, you've got worse problems than can be adressed with just oil.

Basically, thin oil gets to stuff quicker because it flows better at startup. Because it's synthetic and has better properties for the heat, it'll protect better than any conventional oil, no matter what weight you choose.

It's simply the nature of synthetic oil. Good for extremes of temperature, because that's what it's engineered for.

Synthetic blends? I could go on forever on them, but I'll just tell you that they're one of the biggest scams in auto parts in general, and that they generally offer hardly any additional protection over conventional motor oil.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I plan on running synthetic exclusivly and I think I am going to run Mobile 1 15/50 in the summer and 5/30 in the winter. Sound good?