Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

UPDATE...Thoughts on the 38x15.5R16 PJ DIRT GRIPS...UPDATE

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bullet, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Needing a set of new shoes for the Jimmy, and I ran across the PJ Dirt Grips. I know that Shawn Spickler runs them, does anybody else? They are near the same price of the 38" SSR (my other choice) and I've heard they are better then the TSL is some aspects. How are they on the road, how do they wear? Are they loud or quiet? Thanks guys /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Update Since I am getting Mixed reviews, mostly bad...what do y'all think about the 38x15.5R16 SSR's?

BTW, with these tires I'll be running 5.13 gears with my 700R4

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Re: Thougts and opinions on the 38x15.5R16 PARNELLI JONES DIRT GRIPS

I've heard nothing but good things, they seem popular mong the lifted super duty type guys that never go off road. Hear good wear. No experience though.

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

They wear pretty well and look decent too. I would probably go with the SSR's though. Does Shawn have his own website where we can see his updates on his K5? I have always liked his truck with the nice paint, cowl hood, and the aluminum rims. Does he still have chrome shocks on that truck?

4. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

You can view mods to his truck on www.offroad.com/chevy . He painted the Shocks the same color as his rockers. Its that really dark midnight blue with a bit of purple in it. It is a SWEET truck. but unfortuneately, it has been out of commisson since he blew the 496. So he pulled the 496, sold me the tranny and t-case, and he is swapping in a 540 based on a Dart Big M block with a full Eagle forged rotating assembly, The Edel. 049 heads that were on the 496 have been ported. AFAIK, he will be running the same Holley MPFI . he is also going the way of an automatic tranny. Its gonna be a 4l80e, with a ORD doubler behind it with the WMS 3:1 gears in the 203. It is gonna be a MEAN focking ride. Just when you think a rig can't get more badazz, Shawn blows it up and outdoes himself.

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    You can view mods to his truck on www.offroad.com/chevy . He painted the Shocks the same color as his rockers. Its that really dark midnight blue with a bit of purple in it. It is a SWEET truck. but unfortuneately, it has been out of commisson since he blew the 496. So he pulled the 496, sold me the tranny and t-case, and he is swapping in a 540 based on a Dart Big M block with a full Eagle forged rotating assembly, The Edel. 049 heads that were on the 496 have been ported. AFAIK, he will be running the same Holley MPFI . he is also going the way of an automatic tranny. Its gonna be a 4l80e, with a ORD doubler behind it with the WMS 3:1 gears in the 203. It is gonna be a MEAN focking ride. Just when you think a rig can't get more badazz, Shawn blows it up and outdoes himself.

[/ QUOTE ]I have been to his project page and it hasn't changed for like a year or 2 and thats why I asked.
    That truck is fawkin' bad ass! He had chrome shocks on it at one time. I can't believe he blew ANOTHER motor! That is is going to be bad ass if thats what he is going to do to it. I think he should put his old 35x16 boggers with some new welds back on that thing though. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif [​IMG]
    I think that is really cool that he built a "nice" looking K5 and looks were actually an issue for him along with beefy components and functionality, like it is for my K5, thats cool. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

I drove around with Shawns PJ's and MAN are they smooth. With my Alcans I thought I was in a CADDY.... The ride is unbelievable compared to my swamps. They seemed to hook up pretty well when we were in MOAB even with all that motor. As for price, they are a few bucks more than the SSR's. If I had the dough I would definetly look into a set. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

my nieghbor had a side wall seperation going down the free way in his truck, he no longer has the truck and will have a limp for a long time if not forever as well as other neck injuries /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

they were also bran new /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

but thats is only one example so take it or leave it, he offered the tires and rims to me for 400 bucks and I said hell no! My opinion of them has been made.

8. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Granted they are not 38s, but 36s, a good friend has them on his 83 ford F250 and they wear quickly. I also know someone that is running 38s on a crew cab that has the same problem. Even though they are radials dont expect more than a bias.

9. 88jimmy4x4

88jimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    my nieghbor had a side wall seperation going down the free way in his truck, he no longer has the truck and will have a limp for a long time if not forever as well as other neck injuries /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

they were also bran new /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

but thats is only one example so take it or leave it, he offered the tires and rims to me for 400 bucks and I said hell no! My opinion of them has been made.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also had a friend who bought the 35PJ's and had tread seperation on the highway after only 1000 miles. He had to go thru 10 tires to find a good set. He hasnt had a problem now, but that was enough to make me never buy them.

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

PJ tires are...... well..... This is a family site so I cant say what I truly think of them.
    But from my experiences i have had with them and other people I know who have bought them over the years all I can say is.... PJ tires are CRAP!!!!!!!
    Lousy tread werar
    Noisy
    Bad workmanship seperations broken belts ect.
    Maby they are better now than they used to be. But I would never want to try another set to see if they are.

11. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Dont they have some 45,000 mile warranty?

12. 96chevysfa

96chevysfa 1/2 ton status

this is some info i learned by reading a while ago about pj's, if i remember correctly, there were two companies making pj's, i dont know there name, but i know there was one making them at first, and there were no problems, and when i bought my set, it was made by the first company, but when the other company took over, there were a few problems, but most were quickly resolved, and i havent heard of any problems after they resolved the ones they got. my tires have about 17k on them(36x14.5x16), and they are wearing beautifuly, i can easily get 35-40k on these without any problems, with running a locker, and a heavy pedal with alot of offriading. these also balance very well at first, im am completely satisfied with my tires, and have never had any problems with them. again, my information that i have may be incomplete or flawed, but this is what i picked up from what i read.

13. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

Ive got the exact tire your asking about...and I like 'em. Truck has been perpetually "under construction" so I havent had much chance to wheel with them, but the street manners are excellent. I think they are considerably quieter than Swampers (bias or otherwise). My only other experience is with Cepek Fun Countrys, but thats been awhile. Sure like the fun countrys though.

14. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

A friend of mine in our 4x4 club has a set of 36x14 PJ's on his TJ. I think he took it on 2 trail rides and didn't like them (not many rocks, most trails are clay and get slippery when it rains). He sliced a sidewall on one and also had a belt seperation issue on another one (good thing he trailers it). He replaced them with 36" TSL/SX and is much happier. He never really drove it much on the road so I don't know how they wear.

15. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

good luck finding 4 that are round /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Ask me how I know.....