Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

UPDATE; tilting body

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ben Malinski, May 20, 2002.

1. Ben Malinski

Ben Malinski Guest

The springs were installed correctly per Thatk30guy's instructions and using common sense.
    My buddies over here, I'm stationed in Korea, NOW mentioned to me that they noticed the tilting before the install and never mentioned it to me; they thought it was due to the old springs and shocks and they knew I had a new lift kit coming. But, now the tilt is more pronounced. So this is a prior problem. Could body bushings cause a 2" tilt? They have to really be compressed! I'll look at them over the weekend also. I will order a sway bar bushing kit. The ones on here now are shot to hell! Rubber pieces are broken, cracked and chunks are missing.
    When installed over the weekend, I checked the rears prior to install for broken or cracked rear leafs, etc. All parts are in order. I did not torque down the u-bolts however. Didn't have access to a torque wrench but will have this coming weekend and I'll torque them correctly. I tightened the u-bolts while under load.

How difficult is it to swap out the body bushings? A one day job? 1/2 day? What's involved? Loosening the springs, etc.
    I tightened the u-bolts while under load
    Thanks for all the tips and advice!
    Additional note, again, the kit I got from Wes is not the problem. Don't want anyone thinking Wes sold me a bad kit.

2. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Re: WHAT DID I DO WRONG?!?!? HELP! Lift kit Q\'s

Could be worn body bushings or sagged springs. Depending on the age replacing the body bushings is probably a good idea. To check the springs you could put a string from one eyebolt to the other and measure down to the top of the spring/spring plate. Compare the measurements from one side to the other (not front to back). The will probably never be exact (even with new springs) but they should be close (I'm guessing here, but I would say no more than .5"). Worn spring and shackle bushings or a tweaked frame can all add to this as well (it may not be just one thing).

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Make sure that you didn't overtighten the spring eye bolts. If they're too tight, the springs won't return to their fully relaxed position after being compressed. The weight of the truck is able to push the spring down when you hit a bump, but then it can't fully return to where it was, due to the excess friction of the bushing.

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Ben, how are the tire pressures? A low tire can make the truck appear shorter on one side.

To everybody else: this lift kit I sold to Ben is fairly new. I had it on my Blazer and it sat fine. To view pics of how it looked, go to my webshots site and see them.

This 2" difference in height has me stumped, too! /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Stupid question : any chance that one of the fronts springs was installed backwards? I realize that this is highly unlikely but you never know - mistakes do happen.

Also, don't forget to go look at the opposite rear corner. I had the end of a rear leaf spring get caught on the rear shackle hanger once while 4 wheeling. It caused the rear corner to stand higher and the opposite front corner to squat, took me a minute to see it.

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Another idea: how are the rear springs? Are they all in good shape and not broken or missing any leaves?

Missing or broken leaves in the rear can cause the front to sit at an odd angle since the leaves will be sagging in the rear.

7. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Mine had been sagging on the drivers side just as you have described, it was bugging me. I just tore down my leaf packs to build a hybrid pack and found a few cracks in the stock leafs on the drivers side.. Hybrids sit flat now. Its worth a look, especially now with the helper leaf changing the pack dynamics.

8. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I know mine sits a little lower on the drivers side. But, mine is for a different reason. I have a leak in my steering box. It has slowly coated the spring pack enough that it flexes much easier than the other side. This has caused mine to sit a little lower on the drivers side. From what you and Wes have described, however, this shouldn't be a problem with yours.

Checking for the right orientation of the spring may be a VERY good idea. It would be pretty darn easy to install one of those suckers backwards.

9. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I had the same problem and it turned out to be a broken leaf in one of the rear springpacks, but you should have noticed something like that when you did the add-a-leaf. Could be another problem. To many cheeseburgers and beer!!!!!!!!!!

10. 6.2L Jimmy

6.2L Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Could it be your cab mounts??
    Just a shot. Hope you get it fixed soon.
    Mike

11. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Measure in a few spots from the frame to the ground on opposite sides of the vehicle they should be the same, now do the same to the body. If the distances (left to right) are even on the frame but different on the body, the suspension is good, but you have bad body mounts.

12. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

Were the springs under a load when you torqued the U-bolts?

Just another thought...