Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

(UPDATE!) tire rubs only on DS??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jonny-K5, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

ive got 33's and a 3" lift. my tires rub pretty bad when flexed, but only on the driver side back of the fender. passenger side doesnt even touch. it pushed the fender in a little with my ATs, but i just went on an outing with new tsl's and those big lugs tore the sh&t out of my driver's fender, and cut the lugs up pretty bad. now i need to trim, but im wondering why its only one side, is this common?

<font color="blue"> i just did some measuring of the front end, it seems the driver side wheel is pushed back about an inch. i guess that explains my clearance issues. my problem is i cant figure out how it got that way, or if its always been like that. how can this be fixed? i cant see how this happened, unless its been like that from the factory. any ideas on how to straighten my front end?</font>

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

Re: tire rubs only on DS??

truck ever been in a wreck? frame tweaked from wheeling? take some measurements and see if you are bit crooked. one spring lower than the other?
    grant

3. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

it sounds like your truck may turn sharper in one direction.

4. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i dont think its because of turning sharper, it hits with the wheel barely turned, not full lock. truck has never been wrecked, i knew the original owner. i dont think the spring is sagged, but even if it was, shouldnt both wheels travel in the same path when compressed?

5. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

check your tie rod ends, maybe one's out or bad??? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

6. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

ttt

7. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Is this tire measurement going off the body or off the frame?

You can't go off the body because it can be crooked. You can straighten it by loosening the mounts up and pushing it around. You can also realign the front fenders if there is a lot of gap between them and the doors.

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You can try measuring the gaps starting at the back of the door, since you can take up a LOT of "tolerance" with gaps in the body panels, but if it's off an inch, the gaps would be wildly different on either side of the truck.

Even then, the tolerances back then sometimes weren't even close, so as was mentioned, going off the body is a pretty bad idea. Going off the frame is better, but it's hard to find a static place to measure from on both sides. You oculd probably measure from the very front of the frame on both sides to the inner edge of the tire or something, but there's probably still enough variables and stuff in the way to get a true measurement.

Frame shop is the only place I can think of that would be equipped to make precise measurements like that.

9. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

yes my measurements were off the body. i did think that the body might be twisted, i think i'll just take it to a frame shop and have the pros figure it out. thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif