Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Update to distributor post below. Need help quick

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jakeslim, Dec 28, 2002.

1. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

OK, recieved my new MSD HEI distributor today. I marked the bad Mallory unit and pulled it. Problem! The MSD will not install at same mark as Mallory. When I placed them next to each other with rotor and vacuum advance aligned, I noticed that the gear/cam notch is not aligned. Is this normal? Does this mean I need to find number one and then install? Won't it be off too much? Do I need to reinstall the gear from the new MSD unit to match the distributor being replaced?
    Help please.

JS

2. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

I think you are talking about the oil pump shaft drive slot.. Don't worry. If it is the slot on the bottom of the dist you are talking about take a long straight screw driver and put it in the dist. hole in in the block. There is a shaft in there , just turn it so it matches the tab on the bottom of the dist.

John

3. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the response John. One problem. I decided to try and locate TDC at #1 and did, but I am still not able to fire even with the plug wires set at the tdc for #1. It is throwing a spark, and I get some small misfire, but I think it is off because I did not do what you mentioned above first. What do I do now?

4. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Also, do I turn the slot clockwise or counter clockwise? Is it difficult to turn? Just need to know so I don't break something.

So If I locate TDC at the # 1, what do I do next to make the timing correct?

5. chevyracing

Pull the number one plug, put your finger over the hole, have someone turn the engine over by "bumping" the starter. When the pressure wants to blow your finger away from the hole stop. Look at the timing mark on the balancer and line it up to zero on the timing tab. That will be perfect top dead center.

Next pull the dist. cap off. See where the rotor is pointing. make a small pencil mark on the manifold exactly in front of where the rotor is pointing. Put the dist cap back on. Adjust the plug wires so the number one plug is lines up with that mark and go around the cap puttining the wires back on in order.

That is the easiest way to do it...

John

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I always used a small screw driver to check that both valves are closed and the piston is at the top. You could always pull the valve cover to see the valve springs are closed if need be. Checking rotor location to TDC on #1 is always the best method in my opinion also.

7. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Ok, so I bump engine until #1 plug hole releases pressure. I am now near TDC. Now I need to move the timing line of balancer to 0 degrees. Question...how do I rotate the balancer to do this.
    --Do I use a socket on the pulley bolt?
    Sounds silly, but this is the first time i've had to do this.
    --Also, clockwise or counter clockwise?
    -- for the oil pump, how hard is it to move with a screw driver?

Great site, great help so far, thanks ahead of time for help here

8. chevyracing

I move it by hand by grabbing a belt. Move it which ever way it needs to go. Do not turn the engine over by turning the damper (balancer bolt unless you take out all of the spark plugs. You may overtighten the bolt. The oil pump shaft turns easily.

John

9. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Question regarding the TDC "woosh". If the timing mark is near is near the block timing mark and I get a "woosh", does this mean I am near TDC, or is this possibly 180 out? This crap is hell. I found the TDC, set the distributor to # one plug and no luck. Possibly the plugs have fouled out? Just cranks with no sputter or anything. I will never change out distributors again!

10. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Of course I meant the whoosh from the #1 plug. I know I was getting a whoosh when the timing mark was not visible so I figured that was the exhaust release.

11. chevyracing

I am going to PM you with my phone number........Call me up and we will get you through this..

John