Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Update to my electrical problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by txguy, Oct 8, 2001.

1. txguy

txguy 1/2 ton status

First, thanks for all the suggestions from my last post on my electical problem. Since then, I have noticed that when I am in 2 hi the shift lever, and light indicator on the floor seem to line up just right. However, if I push the lever just slightly forward, something clicks (a switch, or notch) and it feels like its right under plastic panel on the floor. It could be anywhere down there though. When I do push this forward, the voltage goes up to normal, and it does not matter what type of load I have on the system. Sounds like I have found a problem. However, what is this switch/notch do? Is it in the floor, or inside the transfer case? Also, this seems to follow suit, since when I go to 4hi/4lo, I always get a large voltage drop.

Whats up with this electical stuff and the transfer case lever?

2. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I think you are just bottoming out the lever and hearing a noise. But when you do this, i'll bet you are grounding the body to the engine, via the t-case all the way through. I did not see your original post... BUT I would bet that you just need to check all your grounds. Make sure the battery is grounded to the motor and the body. Then make sure the motor is grounded to the frame...

My dad (who is an electrical engineer) told me that 99% of vehicle electrical problems is ground. Make sure they are there and cleaned well. This always has worked for me. Sorry for the long post.

My .02
    John

<font color=blue>"When all else fails, read the instructions, or get a bigger hammer"</font color=blue>

3. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Well I don't know what your initial problem was but assuming you're curious about your 4wd drive light. I know exactly what you're talking about with that click. I had my '82 all torn apart to get my light working and didn't find any spot for that click. The wiring for the light is pretty simple. The light has the traditional ground/hot going right to it but on the way the hot takes a BIG detour to under your carpet and out by the shift lever and to your t-case. There is a switch waaay on top the t-case that those wires plug into and control your light. 2wd leaves the circuit open and 4wd closes it and turns on your light. Both my Blazers' lights didn't work when I first had them. The '82 needed a new switch and '81 got some grease shoved in it from the factory and never worked from day one, even when my grandparents owned it first. I've never heard that click in my '82 or my dads '89, but defintely in my '81.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76</a>

4. txguy

txguy 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info guys. The click, is something I feel, not hear BTW. But now I know there is a swith under there.

5. TXBIGFISH

TXBIGFISH 1/2 ton status

You might want to make a "home made" ground from the engine/ transfer case to the body. Just a thought to try to eliminate going in circles. If it works you can go to the parts house and buy a grounding strap for it and attach it permanent connection.

&lt;*)))&gt;&lt;

81" GMC Jimmy.............stock for now!
    I see a 6 inch lift in the near future!