Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Update to Possible Trans problem

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by shaffera, Dec 16, 2002.

1. shaffera

shaffera Newbie

Well it is moving away from a possible trans problem(7000r4) to a good chance that it is a trans problem. I removed my transmission pan yesterday and found 1/8"-1/4" chunks of metal in the pan. I have talked to a friend that has a 700r4 and he had the same noise and he just bought a new transmission ($$$)..
    I am going this week to talk to a couple of local transmission shops to get some pricing and general info. I just wanted to know a couple of things so I don't make a fool of myself.
    Buying a rebuilt trans(700r4) vs. removing my old trans and having them do a full rebuild?
    Does a shift kit(not for performance but durability) make a noticable difference with a diesel,is it worth the extra money?
    I have read quite a bit on the 700r4, some people say it really isn't strong enough to last for long periods on a diesel and some say you definetly need a good trans cooler or certain stronger parts. Any thoughts or opinions??
    Finally any personal opinions appreciated, right now I have more time then money so suggestions and input is welcome

Thank you.

2. RLBstein

RLBstein 1/2 ton status

A shift kit will help with durability. A shift kit makes your transmission shift harder, and a harder shift means less clutch slip.

I would just ask your local transmission guy how much for a rebuild. If your a little technical and have time, you could do it yourself for about 300.00 and thats with upgrades.

3. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Talk to other guys about which shops to use. Ask the shops for customers you can talk to. Its VERY important to get a GOOD shop to rebuild any transmission but especially the 700R4. IMO. Time well spent.

4. shaffera

shaffera Newbie

Thanks for your help, I went around Wednesday and got some referrals through friends which have had transmission work done. I went to those shops and they said it would be best to rebuild the tranny that was already in my truck. For all upgrades and installed 1 year warranty (parts and labor) $1000-$1400. Each shop said it was probably my rear planitary gear after I described what I had found and how it had happened.