Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

UPDATE tranny help! fast!! UPDATE!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 82K5_6.5L, Mar 28, 2004.

1. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    just dropped the pan on my 700r because it was not shifting very well.. it seemed to not go out of 2nd, but at 25mph it would shift, but hard... so i've been reading that maybe the governor gear could be stripped.. but dont know what the hell that is?? and where is it??
    also how do u adjust the throttle valve cable (passing gear cable.) it says that "The cable must be hooked up and adjusted correctly at all times, because this controls the pressure. When you step on the gas pedal the throttle valve cable turns the transmission pressure up. This is how to make the adjustment on the cable. With the throttle wide open, the cable must be fully pulled out at the exact same time. The adjustment is made at the bracket. You must push a button in or pull a button out to move the cable housing forward or rearward. Moving the cable housing to the rear raises the pressure. Be careful, if you adjust the pressure too low you could burn the clutches."

so could anybody please show me a picture, or explain the breakdown of the tranny
    -thanks

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

Re: tranny help! fast!!

the governer is on the drive side near the rear of the trans. the cover is about 3" around, pry it off and pull the governer out.

the tv cable ajustment is correct, but to get to a close spot, push the button in, hold it and open the throttle all the way and relese the botton. this will get you close. you will have to fine tune it to shift the way you want.

what exactly does it do.... start in first, shift to second and thats it or what.

3. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    the governer is on the drive side near the rear of the trans. the cover is about 3" around, pry it off and pull the governer out.

the tv cable ajustment is correct, but to get to a close spot, push the button in, hold it and open the throttle all the way and relese the botton. this will get you close. you will have to fine tune it to shift the way you want.

what exactly does it do.... start in first, shift to second and thats it or what.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well im driving, usually the truck shifts at about 8-10mph then at 15ish, then at 25ish.. (when everything is ok) but now, it seems to skip that second shift at 15 and revs up until 25, then shifts.. i dont think its too bad on the tranny, but it does rev it up a bit more???? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. big83chevy4x4

did you adjust the cable?

sounds like it shifted way to soon before any now its closer to the sweet spot

5. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    did you adjust the cable?

sounds like it shifted way to soon before any now its closer to the sweet spot

[/ QUOTE ]
    no i've never adjusted the cable before.. but now its just revs higher, then shifts... i dont think its really bad for it, but it just sounds different? maybe i should just hack it!!! /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif j/k

6. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Sounds like soome clutches are goin out to me. Thats similar to what mine did before it died.

7. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Do a search on here for tv cable adjustment. There is a good link. The tv cable on the 700 can't be adjusted like a 350. They have to be 'set' to a certain position and that's it-or you'll burn your box up.

8. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Sounds like soome clutches are goin out to me. Thats similar to what mine did before it died.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmmm... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif i hope thats not me.... i will do a search for that cable.. but what gets me, is how does this happen? just wear and tear? or what, it worked fine for the past 6 months and then all of a sudden BLAM! it took a crap on me.. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

??-Juice

9. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Exactly, i was working one day, driving around and it just all of the sudden wouldn't shift into 3rd gear, The T.V. cable shouldn't be the problem unless you have been messin with it.

10. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

UPDATE:
    so i got a new governor, took the old one out.. tossed the new in one, went all fine and dandy.. moment of truth.. test run!

going going... reving up, still not [darn] shifting?????????? WTF? i changed the governor, replaced the kick down linkage cable (not today, but about 3 months ago)

so now all i can think of, is maybe the TV cable is out of wack...??

any suggestions, anybody??

- /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Juice
    /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

11. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

give it a try..i fooled with mine once when i first learned of it from a guy, so i could make my shifts later when i put the 33's on, then they were way to high, and it took me like 20 tryes of adjusting, running around the block, readajusting, and doing that over and over though lol

12. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    give it a try..i fooled with mine once when i first learned of it from a guy, so i could make my shifts later when i put the 33's on, then they were way to high, and it took me like 20 tryes of adjusting, running around the block, readajusting, and doing that over and over though lol

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, so i adjust it from the top right? mines under ther air cleaner.. so to adjust it, should i make it tighter or looser? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

13. big83chevy4x4

you would have to make it tighter to raise the shift points. check to make sure it didn't fall off inside the tranny, by removing the TV at the tranny.

14. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    you would have to make it tighter to raise the shift points. check to make sure it didn't fall off inside the tranny, by removing the TV at the tranny.

[/ QUOTE ]

it didnt fall off inside the tranny, i dropped the pan like 3 or 4 days ago.(that was the first thing i checked) it happend to me before, so it wasnt that.. but i will adjust the cable and see whats up /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif