Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

UPDATE**Truck taking long time to start

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by walt88, Aug 9, 2002.

1. walt88

walt88 1/2 ton status

8/15/02 Replaced relay. Truck starts like it used too! Thank god, and thanks for the help.

Recently my K5 takes alot of cranking before it starts. It used to start fine but now it doesn't. I takes a bout 4-6 times of cranking before it starts. When It does start it runs perfectly.

I replaced the fuel filter and temp sensor. Still does it. Wires on the starter are good too. I am thinking it is the fuel pump.

Anyone have any input?

Its a 1988 K5 350 TBI.

2. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Re: Truck taking long time to start

Does the fuel pump prime correctly? It should run for a few seconds when you turn the key to ON. This could be a bad relay. Wihthout it, the engine will have to crank until there is oil pressure for it to start. Then the fuel pump gets current from the "run" circuit.

3. walt88

walt88 1/2 ton status

Where is the relay in the truck?

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Wanna sell me that temp sensor?

I agree with Blue's suggestion.
    I believe that the fuel pump wire on the ALDL connector should be getting 12V when the key is moved to the run position, so thats likely another way to test, besides the noise : )

Dignosis is the name of the game, instead of spending more money on parts that might be the cause of a problem, buy yourself a "live data" scanner and a shop manual. It will save you money in the long run. Thats what the ALDL connector is there for.

5. BUSCO

BUSCO Registered Member

The fuel pump relay is on the curbside of the truck, mounted on the firewall. Unplug the wiring harness to it and start the truck, if it takes as long to start as with it connected that would probably be the problem. If it is no good, or disconnected, the computer waits to see the oil pressure reach about 10psi before it will start. This is some kind of safegaurd.

6. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

you are thinking in the rite direction its the fuel pump i had a 96 tahoe it would take a while to start the fuel pump was bad