Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

--UPDATE W/ PICS!-- When coasting at high speeds, doubler makes gear noises

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dawson444, Jun 23, 2004.

1. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

---------------UPDATE-----------------------------------
    http://community.webshots.com/album/157702692oeRbuw

there are some pics, what do ya'll think I should do? Thanks!
    ---------------------------------------------------

I have a doubler in my truck behind a TH400. When I am on the gas everything is fine, and when i am at low speeds I am fine. When I get up to high speeds (around 50-60MPH, my speedo doesn't work) and I let off the gas and I am coasting my doubler makes some bad noises in the gears. As soon as I start to accelerate again it goes away. What could this be? Thanks!

2. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Re: When coasting at high speeds, doubler makes bad gear noises, please help!

FWP and I have been there and done that, we both changed our rear driveshafts and the problem went away. It's gear slop, and we both chased it for a year, if you already have a CV driveshafe in the rear, then that's a diffrent story.

I must have pulled the cases down at least twice chasing the rattle. In the end we fixed it by using a CV in the rear drive shaft.

Rob

3. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

I already have a 1350 HAD CV in there. What else could it be?

4. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Any dents/dings in the driveshaft, Bad u Joints. Also check your rear output bearing. The housing that the bearing retainer is in is also the speedo housing on the 205. Maybe this bearing is bad.

Check all of the easy things you can before tearing into the cases. There really isn't anything that can go wrong doubler wise. It pretty much has to be bad bearings or driveshaft related.
    Also you might give the rear end a quick once over. Bad Pinion bearing might give you this.

5. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Its not the Doubler.My guess would be your pinion angle is off.I think you can have up to + or - 4 deg. max difference between your drive shaft and pinion.Any more than that and you can get vibes and strange noises /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

driveshaft angle
    turn up the stereo
    I wish I had a stereo in my truck to drown out that nice harmonic that recent bandaid work has created

7. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

ok, i will look into those things. What is a good source for shims? Thanks!

8. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

I've got the same problem and I don't have a doubler. I've got a six in lift and both the front and rear shimmed as much as I could get away with and it still has the vibrations and noise. Definitly check your driveshafts and ujoints when I replaced them it helped a little.

9. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

The driveshaft is brand new, I have less than 50 miles on it and it has been 4 wheeling 0 times. Are you running a CV shaft?

10. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

Yeah I've got cv shafts front and rear.

11. el diablo

el diablo Registered Member

I doubt it is a driveshaft, how is the doubler coupled betewen the tranny doubler box and tcase? Thats where I would look. Sounds like a worn spline issue.

12. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

There are so many things that this could be. Does your pinion look straight with the driveshaft? With the CV you need to run almost no angle at all at the pinion end of the shaft.
    Any bearing that has some extra play in it would sound like this.
    Like I said before look at everything before saying it is a T case. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

update at top

14. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    update at top

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

15. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

think I should just throw shims in it to try to raise the pinion up some? What degree do ya'll think? Any particular brand?

16. FWP

FWP CRS

Show us pics of your driveline at the pinion and at the t-case, that would help. ANY driveline vibration gets amplified HUGE in the t-cases, especially at coast, because of all the gear slop that exists in the 203/205 combination.

17. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

now its really updated, sorry for that.

18. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Re: When coasting at high speeds, doubler makes bad gear noises, please hel

What does it look like from the side. It almost looks like you can up a couple degrees. I don't have a doubler, but I have a CV shaft. This is a good pinion angle :

[​IMG]

19. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Thats what I was thinking too. What size shims do you think I shoudl start throwing in there?

20. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Sorry I edited my post. Shims come in 2 degree increments. I tried 2 degrees before I bought shaft, it does move it alot more than it sounds /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif