Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

UPDATE : Well this bites EVEN HARDER NOW !!!!!!!!???????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pauly383, Jul 7, 2004.

1. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Well it happenned transfercase toasted, and my wife isn't too happy this time to be my ride. Coming home from work today it was grinding periodically again, then close to home it popped out of gear . Wouldn't grab 2wd or 4wdhi , would only grab 4 lo , so I drove home the rest of the way. Luckily 25 mph with a np208, 3.08's and 33's is 2000 rpm . Now off to find a case . It sucked to tell my wife, shes been patient for so long, her real gripe was that every time I hear a noise or think somethings wrong, I wait until it breaks, but I know that not always the case . After this transfercase, everything but the front axle would of been gone through /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

original post :

After reading the posts on np208 problems last few months or so , I think I have one too. Recently I was driving to work almost two weeks ago, and it grinded for 5 seconds and went away, as if it was between 2hi and 4hi . This was at 45 mph and came and went real fast. Thought it was my shifter out of adjustment, made sure it grabbed all gears this weekend, thought it could of been bumped around driving. Well it did it today on the way to work again ??!!!!

Anyway I have had the truck over 3 years, change everythings fluid religously, had a bad gov loc and a few minor things , but thats about it .

One thing though , when wheeling it likes to grind when trying to go back to 4hi or 2hi from 4lo , even in neautral. So I think I have the same problem other people have had with shift forks, pads etc.

This sucks !! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Re: Well this bites !!!!!!!!???????

I'm a big fan of the 205. Depending on cost of repair/rebuild vers conversion to 205 is something too think about.

3. pauly383

I like the 205 also , but later when I get a second Blazer/Pickup beater to cut up. But I am thinking low buck approach here, besides I still OWE VISA for my np208 CV shaft . I could even rebuild mine with a little help I'm sure. I'm just looking for input and experiences . I did post up in parts wanted too.

4. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm a big fan of the 205. Depending on cost of repair/rebuild vers conversion to 205 is something too think about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you are breaking the 208/241 I would stick with it. They are good cases with great low range and light weight. IMO unless you "need" the 205 for strength the trade off isn't worth it unless you have a doubler and a 203 just laying around /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

completely agreed. Tim has a crawl ratio of like 50 something to 1 with his 205 I have a ratio of 70 something to 1. Only difference in our rides as far as drivetrain goes is I have the 241.

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I would also stick with the 208, your K5 isn't too radical and is definantly in range of what it should be able to handle. Consider a 241 too.

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have rebuilt my 208. I have torn it down to nothing and put it back together and it works. If you think it is an internal problem we can pull it and crack it open. You may have to be ready for some downtime though since not all the parts are available locally.

Courtesy Chevy (by my house) carries some parts in stock along with Main Napa on 27th AVE & Thomas. I had to mail order a part from Vegas though when I rebuilt mine.

If it comes down to rebuilding it yourself let me know. I can give a hand. Make sure to go to the GM Dealer and have them print you out an exploded Diagram of the 208. It is helpful when putting it back together.

There is no special tools needed to rebuild a 208 either which is nice.

Harley

8. pauly383

I really would appreciate the help. The wife and I can carpool if we have to , it sucks though . I am still driving now the truck now /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif I m going to give you a call in a bit. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I have an np208 sitting on my shop bench if you need one to dick with, been there...... 3 years ?

10. pauly383

Does it work ? I bet shipping would kill though , not worth it if it needs work too . But possibly could use some parts though /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I will tear mine apart soon with Harley and see if its rebuildable, and will try to find a working one to toss up there for awhile /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif