Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

UPDATE...What whould cause the steering wheel to go off center...UPDATE...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ben, Nov 27, 2003.

1. Ben

Ben Registered Member

Drove through some serious back roads, over boulders, pot holes, etc. now the steering wheel is off center. I looked at the adjusting sleeve and it has not moved or turned. Bolts are tight. I parked up against a curb and gave the steering wheel a little turn to re-center it and good to go. Still, what gives? Thanks!

2. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

Re: What whould cause the steering wheel to go off center...

I don't think I've heard of that one... you said you corrected it by pinning the wheel against a curb and now it's fixed? Maybe it's your steering shaft or a worn steering gear.... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Nothing else that I know of in the steering linkage that could bend AND bent back so easily...
    Maybe someone else will know better than I do.... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

3. SCJimmy

SCJimmy 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    I'm no expert in steering, but did you check the rag joint (flexible coupler) at the steering box input?

Might want to check the steering box mounting bolts/frame area...

Just my .02
    Byron

4. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I'd be checking the frame around the steering box for cracks. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

5. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

its possible the gears inside the box skipped a couple teeth and came out of center and when you pinned it against the curb, you adjusted it back..

6. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I say frame /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

7. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    its possible the gears inside the box skipped a couple teeth and came out of center and when you pinned it against the curb, you adjusted it back..

[/ QUOTE ]

Which gears are you referring to? I hope not the sector shaft gears, cause if those are skipping teeth, (which they only have 3), then you've got some serious problems.

8. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

hell if i know, ive never been inside a steering box before, but i know you CAN pop the gears a tooth out if you yank the wheel to lock and pop it hard enough on most vehicles..

9. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

ahhh, well on the sector shaft its highly unlikely that you'll skip teeth unless some are broken. They are massive.

Sector shaft is #44

[​IMG]

10. Ben

Ben Registered Member

I'd have to rule out the steering gear seeing that it's new. Not a rebuilt but OEM. But just in case, we did take as much of it apart as possible and not broken teeth or worn parts. No cracks on frame by the steering gear either. No worn ball joints or steering parts. Everything seems tight. So I am going to attribute it to the adjusting sleeve. Centered the steering wheel and tighten down the adjusting sleeve bolts as much as possible. We'll see what happens now. Thanks for all the advice!
    Hope you all enjoyed your turkey! It does not taste that same being in Korea I tell you! (Maybe because it's not mom's!)

11. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Ben,

I hate to ask the obvious, but are both of your hubs completely unlocked up front, and are you SURE that your transfer case is in 2HI?

I had a similar experience with my steering wheel on one of my first "newbie" wheeling trips. I probably drove around for a month with my xfer case in 4Hi (front hubs unlocked however) until someone watched me drive up the street, and said, "Uh, dood do you know that your front driveshaft is spinning all the time?"

I was a little embarrassed, but wouldn't you know it the steering wheel was nice and straight once I got the case into the correct gear.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I had similiar experience once. I was driving my Burb through the drive-through ATM at the bank. The stalls were just barely wide enough and I ended up catching a the driver's front tire on the concrete. I was only doing 10mph or so but I hit it hard enough that it stopped the truck. As I pulled away, the steering wheel was about 30* off center /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif. I went home and checked everything, adjusted the drag link between the steering and pitman arms, and went on my way. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Here's something to check especially after some roads, boulders and holes: the pitman arm.

Yep, I said pitman arm. Very simple. Remove the nut and bolt holding it to the sector shaft on the bottom of the gear box and check the splines.
    I'm gonna say the splines are stripped out. The force of the power steering and hitting the holes and boulders is enough to strip them.

I had the 2" Skyjacker pitman arm on my K30 once and turned an icy corner on the city streets only to slide to the curb and hit it at an angle. The impact was hard enough while I was holding the steering wheel, to force the tires into the direction the curb was pointed while I was holding the wheel. Once I straightened back out, the wheel was out of whack, badly. I could only turn so far. Took the truck back home and immediately took off the pitman arm thinking I messed up the gear box. Upon removing the pitman arm, I saw the splines were stripped. So I called Skyjacker and ask them for a new one. They said to send the old one in and they would test it to check for "material failure." Got a new one in return.

So, try checking the splines on the pitman arm. I'm gonna say that may be your culprit. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

BTW, how's life going, Ben? And how much longer til retirement? :thinking /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif:

14. Ben

Ben Registered Member

I thought retirement was coming... but so many other things jumping off in various parts of the world that a freeze on many retirement and discharges is in effect. Then recinded and reinstated and recinded... oh well... In the mean time, I have keep rolling along adding up more points toward retirment! Besides, what else would I do? Tinker on the K5? Fish? Hunt? Surf? Travel? /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif