Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

**Update** Whew PROB SOLVED:Tranny going out on me ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rocko, Mar 20, 2002.

1. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

**Updated** Well.. yanked the tranny pan off.. found the filter sitting at the bottom of the pan.. the filter wasn't seated correctly into the trans.. Whew.. now I don't have to spend mucho dinero on a tranny...
    Thanks Billy Ray for offering me your tranny and your help.. I'm ready to help you stab that 400 under Baloo...

Okay.. My truck has developed these problems.. since being submerged last time out at the Slab.. I haven't been driving the truck until today... so here's what it's doing..
    Transmission is slipping badly.. overrev's between gears, mostly first to second and second to third.
    When I checked the fluid, I found rust all over the dipstick top to bottom.. not good huh?
    The fluid has been drained and filter changed.. the day after water recovery.
    Also... My muffler and Catalytic converter took in water.. (engine hydrolocked) and it's rotting out my Muffler .. what damage would it do to my CAT? poor performance? Truck is running like crap..
    I'm seeking help from my friend who submerged the truck.. since he said he'd take care of any problems that arise..
    So I'm trying to get some idea's.. if this could all have been caused by being completely submerged? water came into the truck just above the transmission hump... again (not good?)
    Thanks guys..

And thanks Billy Ray for all your advise..

2. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

Re: Tranny going out on me ? maybe you guy\'s can tell me...

let's start with your engine. if yo utook in water through the intake, chances are, worst case, you cracked a head or something. liquids don't tend to compress as gasses do.

tranny, check your vaccum modulator, it could of gotten disconnected. the water could of come in through the breather on top of the tranny. usually when something is running hot and summered into cold, it tends to compress. your tranny being hot, submerged into water, cooled down very fast causing the water to get sucked in through the breather.

as to water in the cat or exhaust system, i don't see a problem there, one of the byproducts of the cat is water, unless it was salt water that you got submerged into.

i've had this happen on a motorcycle, it was completely submerged. took out the spark plug and turned the engine a few times to get the water out. drained the oil a few times till it seemed clean. this takes several iterations. the important thing is not to crank over the engine if water is in the intake.

my 2 centavos...

ARQ.

3. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Also keep in mind when an engine hydro-locks it normally bends a rod or two. Not good. Do you know how fast he was going(engine rpms)? If the rpms were way down it is normally okay but if they were above idle I would say that its a good posibility. As for the tranny I would say try flushing it again and see if that takes care of it, if not time to rebuild or replace. Water wont hurt the cat, but if you muffler is rotting away it might be plugging up the inside and not allowing the exhaust to escape causing it to run bad.

Dan

4. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

HEY BOSS MAN I'AM STILL THINK THERE COULD BE SOME MOTOR DAMAGE THAT MAY SHOW UP DOWN THE ROAD. ON THE TRANS. YOU SHOULD CK. THE FLUID FIRST IF BURNT IT IS TOAST. BUT IF IT IS OK IT COULD BE A SENSOR OR VALVE PROBLEM, NOT TO HURT YOUR FEELING OR ANY THING BUT IT SOUNDS LIKE A OVER HAUL TO ME. IF YOU WANT TO TRY A FLUID FLUSH FIRST JUST CALL ME.

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I would say keep changing the fluid in the tranny, or better yet, do a transmission flush (it is easy to do this yourself, by the way). Obviously it got wet inside and this will rust any of the steel parts inside. This includes the plates between the clutches, the plantary gears, and the valve body. If left alone, the water would tend to be in the bottom of the pan, but you are always drawing fluid up through the filter from the bottom of the pan. Dropping the pan removes maybe 1/3 of the fluid in the system, so you could still have moisture inside after this. Usually it will evaporate out after the transmission has heated up a few times. Even so, there could still be some rust. ATF is like a super detergent, so it should help keep releasing rust. This could be bad, though, if pieces of scale can get into the valves. It's possible that you just have sticky valves. You might consider pulling out the valve body to have a look at them and test with a screwdriver if anything is sticking. The sleeves are aluminum, but the valves are steel, so if there is surface rust on any of them or sticking, you can just remove that valve and polish it with rubbing compound or 400 grit sandpaper.

6. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Thanks Guy's...
    Billy ... I might just bring it to you one evening.. and we can flush the tranny...
    As far as I know when the hydrolock occured.. he was driving at a low speed...There is no rod knock going on..
    Hope it all works out.. again.. thanks to everyone who replied.

7. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

OK
    JUST CALL ME

8. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

updated...
    700r lives !!!!

9. greg83k5

greg83k5 1/2 ton status

keep it outta the damn water, boy!

charlie, is it throwing any codes? you said it was running bad....

if your year has a MAF they really don't like to get wet, i killed my mom's cadillac when i was like 17 driving it into ~1-2 feet of water in the school parking lot..... they were pissed!!! it ran bad, but it actually ran....

greg

10. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

It's running bad.. I think because the exhaust is rotting out.. Sounds like my muffler is boiling when the truck has been driven for about 20+ minutes..
    I didn't put it in the water... lol... I let a friend?? drive it.. and walla... I was driving my 83 Blazer last time out.

11. greg83k5

greg83k5 1/2 ton status

i know i was there!

hmm. have you driven it for more than an hour after it got douched? exhausts get really wet every time you fire up the truck at first when it's rich... so it shouldn't be rotting out....

that water could have reached the hot-as-hell cat and made it do something crazy...

there may be water in the gas tank?!??!

greg