Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

*update with pics* will it fit?What's a fair price to have powersteering box rebuilt?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by google, Jun 17, 2005.

1. google

google 1/2 ton status

I'm going to be asking some mechanics to rebuild my power steering box. I would like to know what a good price on rebuilding it is before I go so I don't get robbed. OR, if someone here has done it before can tell me how hard it is. To give you an idea of my mechanic ability, I can rebuild a 1bbl carb, but just seeing the kit on a 4bbl scares me enough not to try. Too many little pieces and not enough memory.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2005
  2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Well , it isn't really hard , just can be a PITA , but you probably don't want to do it . Just remove it and replace it , or reseal it as they aren't always bad .

Mine had no play just the leak where yours looks to leak from too . I just did the input shaft seal , and its been fine .

The sloppiness in the steering will go away ( well at least back to STOCK sloppiness LOL ) with a new ragjoint , and basic front end rebuild .

Do not touch the adjustment on the box that people say to touch , you could mess up preload settings and prematurely wear it out .

3. google

google 1/2 ton status

My box blew up today. I made a uturn in the parking lot at my work and ALL my fluid dumped at once. Don't know exactly where from, but it's ALL gone. A bit worse off then the last time you saw it hehe.... :mad: :D

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

get a new then , and hoses , since everythings that old anyway :D

5. google

google 1/2 ton status

Ok, then what is a good price for a new/rebuilt one?..................

Ok, Truck Recyclers in mesa will give me one for $25. That sounds fair enough to me.

6. google

google 1/2 ton status

I found this.... Will it fit the 81 blazer? I'm going to admit something embarassing too...... I don't know if it's 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton..... are all blazers 1/2 ton?

1982 Chevy Half Ton 4 X 4 Power Steering Gear box

Up for auction is this power steering gear box that was original equipment on a 1982 Chevy half ton 4 x 4. When it began to leak, I replaced it with a re-man and sent this one in to get re-sealed, (to the tune of about $165.00). The re-man that was installed had far more play and did not have quite as tight of a turning radius as this one. Unit comes with mounting bolts, spacers, and steering column connector.

The numbers stamped on to or cast into this unit are:

On the top (as if it were mounted) 7802644 L and 197 and 09

On the bottom (as if it were mounted) 4 L

I was very happy with this unit, but traded off the truck before getting it re-installed. I no longer need this gear box. I think a starting bid of $50 is a GREAT deal for you, the buyer!!!

Feel free to email any questions. I’ll be happy to answer, if I can.

Winning bidder will pay actual shipping charges. I will not charge for packaging the item.

Thanks for looking and GOOD LUCK!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

dont bother....

Buy a good used box at a boneyard--pick one thats dry and has little play in it..its not worth trying to do it yourself if you dont know what your doing!--I am a fairly seasoned mechanic,and I can rebuild an engine and many other things--but my attempts to rebuild a steering box was a dismal failure--it looks easy,until 50 ball bearings spill out of it,and you dont know how or where to put them back into!..your life is riding on the steering(and others lives too!--dont try to save money here!)...or buy a rebuilt one from a parts store...

Automatic trannys are out of my leauge too--I find it cheaper and quicker to buy used,and at least if its not a good one,the junkyard will give me another one...good luck getting someone on E-bay to do that!...any 80-up to 87 pickup,or to 90 K5 4x4 box should bolt right on your K5--the hoses went metric with O-ring fittings after 1980 or so--earlier boxes will bolt up too,but the hoses present a problem--older ones have SAE flare fittings--some boxes use a different spline on the "rag" joint,so snag that with it when you buy a used one..