Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

**update** WTF! Valve clatter under power.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Okiemuddog, Nov 26, 2003.

1. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

Okay, I swear if anything else goes wrong with this truck I am going to sell it real cheap. Oay, here the story, swapped out my old tired 350, I bought a '91 engine minus Serp set up and TBI, I bought the Edelbrock #2104 manifold for the late model heads. I got everything together back together, timed it and set the carb. The problem is that it idles great, but I have some BAD valve clatter under peower, does not clatter while in park, starts with any power in gear. The other problem is I started before I left work, went back to get some stuff and came back out and it was idleing rough and at about 500rpm, the idle is set to around 1K. Got in it reved it a couple of times and it sounded like a diesel, decided to see if it would clear up on the road. I could not get it to do above 25mph and rattling like hell, so went back to work got a can of carb cleaner to see if the intake was sucking air, came back out and it was running right /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif. So I head home, still have bad valve clatter but running correctly. The valves have never been messed with, came out of Wakeboard&4x4er's truck straight in to mine, he said he had no problems with it. This truck is really starting to piss me off, so plaese give me some suggestions before I sell the damn thing and buy a dependable DD ricer.

Thanks Krennen

Well, found part of the problem, I am running a TBI bottom and heads with a carb, me being my usual self, I never thought about the timing being different. I had timed it to 8* BTDC, well TBI engines run at 0* timing, retimed it, got lots of power now and minimal valve clatter. I am going to try runing some high octane through it and see if it will clear up the vavlve clatter I still have. Thank you for the suggestions and the help, I guess I will kep it another week until something else breaks. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Krennen

2. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

Re: WTF! Valve clatter under power.

sounds like you aint got the timing rite.or a vacum leak. play with it a little after you go settle down and drink a cold drink /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Are you running a vacuum advance? Is it hooked to the right port on the carb(no vac at idle)? Too much vacuum to the advance pod will cause mucho pinging.

Keep your chin up, brother. It will all seem like a bad dream when you get it fixed!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I agree, sounds like detonation, pinging, spark knock, whatever you want to call it, to me.

5. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

Update at top /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

Thanks GOOD, what kind of @$$ sold you that motor...

Glad to hear it is working...

brett