Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

update

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mykle34, Nov 29, 2006.

1. mykle34

mykle34 Newbie

I was the one who was having 700r4 problems. I took the Blazer to AAMCO of all places and this is what I recieved. They told me that for $49.50 they could tell me exactly what was wrong with my trans. Thney call and tell me that the problem must be internal as the check they did of the "external" was ok. Hoses and cables all connected and the fluid ok, (that was the $49.50). They say that they will have to remove the trans and disassemble the unit for further inspection. They want to charge me $780.00 to remove and install. WOW! Then they say that if I get them to do the repair, thery will waive the previouse fees and only charge me for the labor and parts of the rebuild. Of course the rebuild will cost $2850.00! I looked the parts up that were bad and they come to $600.00. The rest is in labor. They tell me that the cost for thier parts are almost $1200.00. They also said that if I want them to put it back together it will still cost the $780.00 and no repair will have been done. I told them to not re-assemble the trans and to leave it out, they say its company policy to put the trans assembled back in the vehicle. Has anyone else been burned this way from this company?

2. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Never had any experience with AAMCO, but thats exactly why I dont take my truck to shops for anything. The only time my truck has ever been in another garage other than my own was to have a smog check.

3. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

I had a similar problem with Cottman Transmission. Tell them no, you will not pay them for anymore work done. You dont care what there policy is, you are going to pick up the Blazer and transmission the way it is now. That is what I did. Bring them the money for the $49.50 in the form of a check. Write in the memo section "Transmission inspection - Paid in Full". If they cash it, it is considered a valid contract (they do have 30 days to refund your money to recind the contract though, UCC loophole), and no further money is due.

Did you tell them to remove and disassembe the transmission?

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Burned? Yes

That is standard tranny shop practice...once you let them remove and disassemble you're at their mercy, and if you don't like their price for rebuild you're still screwed.

AAMCO= All Automatics Must Come Out

At any rate this 'game' has been played for a very long time. My first experience with it was in 1982.

Rene

5. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

you and everyother 700r4 owner.

6. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

Very interesting considering that I was looking at both AAMCO and Cottmans to do my 4L80E in my 'burban.:confused:

7. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Talk to some people in the know in your area and find a good local shop to do it. In my experience that has been always a good solution for me. People at smaller shops tend to want to stand by there work more.

8. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Well, I took the Blazer to Cottman's against my better judgement. I rebuilt the 700r4 about 3-400 miles before that. For some reason, something dislodged and clogged a passage (pretty sure it was one of those little cone filters). It was pressurizing fluid in the oil pump, and it was just blowing by the front pump seal. Since I was in school and it was my DD, I didnt have time to rebuild it again. I figured a reputable tranny shop (heard nothing but good things) would be able to pinpoint the exact problem, cuse I was sure they would have seen similar problems before. And the shop was about 5 minutes from my house.

I went in and told them what the problem was and what I did in the past, and the guy said in his normal condicending tone "Well, thats why you should bring it to the pro's, you have no idea what you are doing, else you wouldnt be here now."

After their visual inspection, the guy called me back and said it needed a full rebuild, for the tune of 2k+. I said hell no. Then he tried to tell me it would be a lot more then just the inspection charge to reassemble. I again said no, Im not paying it. When I got to the shop, we haggleddown to $200 for the mechanics time, and I agreed that was fair. I had a tow truck pick up the Blazer, and I threw the tranny in my friends pickup.

When I was in the shop, I noticed the throttle valve assembly (the internal part) sitting on the mechanics work cart. I questioned to why it was out of the tranny, and he tried to say "Well, it is standard to remove it when you take out the tranny properly." That started another argument.

When I finally got everything to another shop (again, I didnt have time to do the work myself), I saw some bad stuff. Apparently, Cottman mechanic didnt diconnect said TV cable, and bent and twisted the TV spring contraption internally. Then said mechanic somehow broke the heads off of several of the bolts in the valve body. I just said F*** IT, ordered a rebuilt tranny from the dealer (I know, I didnt know better than, but a friend who workes the parts counter got me a deal). And lastly, they did not support the front of the engine when they removed the tranny like I specified, so the rear of the engine was being supported by my ignition module (which went bad a few weeks later)

That was about 4 years ago, and the Blazer has not or never will be in another shop, unless I am the one doing the work, or personally supervising 100% of the work done.

Bottom line, it is your truck and your tranny. Do not authorize another minute of labor on that. You will pick up the Blazer and its parts by your own means, adn you will pay for the labor that is already put into it.

9. DesertDueler2

DesertDueler2 1/2 ton status

AAMCO does really good work, but you pay for it. I traded a trans rebuilder some A/C work for him to build my trans for my firebird. That trans held up to 20,000 miles and over 200 nitrous 1/4 mile passes. The converter is what gave up(wasnt for nitrous) and took the rest out. Mine didnt cost but a couple hundred in parts and some time, but calling them was going to be around $1500.Dan

10. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

Run away screaming from those assclowns. Find a good local shop.

11. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Call the B.A.R. end of story.

12. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

that is way high for a tranny rebuild, mine only cost $1500 for a 4l60

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Granted it was a few years back, but I had an AAMCO rebuild my 700 (in an '83 K5) since I was on a road trip when it decided to fail.

Cost me just over $1200, (far enough back that likely the labor and parts cost have gone up a fair bit) but the thing never gave me a hassle after that rebuild, and apparently continued on after I sold it according to the next owner. I seem to remember that getting a "lifetime" warranty on the rebuild would have added considerably to the cost, any chance they were factoring that in?

I've heard horror stories about AAMCO, but I have a feeling it really comes down to the owners/managers of the individual stores as to how they treat you.

As I recall mine was a pretty common failure, welded sun shell or some such.

14. MaxPF

MaxPF 1/2 ton status

Not if it is built properly :D

15. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

I would say that is the logical answer to all of this. I have had 1 shop do the last 2 tranny's I have had (1ton Dodge CTD dually turned up of course:pimp: and my current K5) as well as one for a buddy of mine (built th350 with all TCI parts and full manual VB, behind 1ton chevy turned up CTD and 40" ProComps). I have about 20K on the K5 with no problems and its to soon to tell on the chevy, but the dodge has close to 100K on it and it is still work'n like it should.

I am here to tell ya that I am hard on vehicles. I run them hard and I want them to stand up. It is important to find someone who "cares" about their quality. Shorr's transmission in Independence might be a little pricey, but I can vouche for their superior work.

16. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

just like any shop, vendor, or the like.

it comes down to management and the people, if you have someone who own the business and he is involved, he has more stake in making his customers happy and repeat business. as for ammco, one of them in east mesa here treaded my sister very well and she has nothing but nice words to say. I also have heard they are franchised??? if so that is a big factor.

their is always a mechanic who will cheat, such as the distributor issue mentioned above, find a good shop and stay with them. seems the big differnace in business is not just avoiding mistakes, but how you channel them and act afterwards.