Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

update:

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by iwaxmyjimmy, Apr 8, 2007.

1. iwaxmyjimmy

iwaxmyjimmy College web wheeler Premium Member

Well on my "little" list are a couple things that are basic and some other stuff is just to speed me up alot more. I wanna know yalls opinions on what is affordable and worth it. I don't need the latest and greatest, just dependability and usefulness.
    1) 3/8 impact- I was looking at snap-on #MG31
    2) 1/4 air ratchet- snap-on #AT204
    3) wire strippers- any ideas?
    4) punch and chisel set- snap-on #PPC2AOAK
    5) soldering iron- the one I have is a POS any ideas?
    6) O2 sensor sockets- guy at work has a whole set and I forgot what kind it was.

gotta run but I'll add later.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I use Channel Lock brand wire strippers. I like them better then most of the more expensive true electricians strippers. They are like $14 at Home Depot.

Snapon makes good hand tools but most of there air tools are just rebranded Ingersoll Rand and you pay more because it says Snap-on on it.

Harley

3. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Get a pair of strippers/crimpers that look like these:

[​IMG]

They're probably the same as Harley's talkin' aboot. A lot of manufacturers offer them, the same tool, just with different colored handles depending on who slapped their label on them. Klein, Channellock, Gardner Bender, Ideal, Greenlee. They will cut, strip and crimp everything from 22 ga to 8 ga. They also have a bunch of screw cutter holes for 4 to 10-24 and 10-32 screws, which is really nice.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

actually SnapOns newer air tools do not seem to be IR items. Matco and Mac air tools are just rebranded IR items.

My 3/8" impact is a Mac, I love it, I call it my right hand.
    Here is the Craftsman's version of the exact same gun:
    http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Compressors+%26+Air+Tools&pid=00919916000&vertical=TOOL&subcat=Automotive+Air+Tools&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

Much cheaper than I paid. Mine was an impulse buy.

Soldering Iron:
    I have this guy-
    [​IMG]
    I love it. Can use it for heat shrinking, or anything where I need a mini-torch and it solders like a dream. I suck at soldering but I look like a pro with that thing. $120 on Matco's site. I bought it cheaper on promo some month. In case you can't tell, I really like Matco tools. And my Matco guy is awesome and always hooking me up.

And for Wire strippers, I bought some random junky "auto" strippers at Auto Zone one day. I still use them all the time. They work fine. Jam up once in a while, but I don't think I paid more than $15 for them. I use a pair of Craftsman crimper/strippers for the crimping duties.

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Those are very similar to the ones I use. I don't use them on a daily basis like you do but for me they have worked great. I found the Channel Lock brand to be a little cheaper for about the same item if I remember right. They are in the tool section with the other Channel Lock pliers at Home Depot, they are not in the electrical aisle.

Harley

6. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

first,, good choice with the mg31...
    and btw, you can bet if it says snap-on, it's not IR...
    even the bluepoint stuff that looks like IR, isnt... same cases, different internals..

the at204 is a great tiny air ratchet, and i would definately suggest that if you do a lot of engine compartment, under dash work... also look at the new far2500...

if you just want strippers... get the pwc6 from snapon... and then pick up a pair of 29cp's for crimping duty..

soldering iron
    yaks32
    torch3

ive never soldered with electric, and never will. butane is the way to go...

and for o2 sensor sockets, there's a good set from astro pneumatic that i sell for like 55 bucks... its cheap, works and pretty decent stuff...

ppc715 is a good punch/chisel set

7. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Yup, harley, I have owned a few pairs of these exact ones, all with a different name slapped on them. Currently I use the Kleins at work and have a set of GardnerBender at home. They are IDENTICAL even up to the "always wear eye protection" engraving on them. The only difference is, like I said, te color of the rubber handles, and some have colored ink in the spots where it shows what size crimping die to use on certain size wire. Otherwise the only difference is the price, $12-$18 is what I get them for. I have never worn out or broken a pair. Typically they get left in a ceiling on a job, or I let someone usethem who then cuts into hot wires and blows them up. They are great strippers/cutters/crimpers, and even have a die for doing DIY sparkplug terminals. The rest, I have no input, but I do know my wire strippers/crimpers. No need to buy two tools when this will do it by themselves.

8. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

1) I've got an IR241 and like it-but its for home use

2) Snap-On FAR 25, It gets used close to daily at work. Love it, wouldn't trade it

3) At work I use Ideal Strip-masters with the proper blades. We are not supposed to use anything that can nick the conductor. They work great as long as the blades are sharp. At home I've got a paid of Klein's tat look like the pic above.

4) Just don't buy cheap HF ones. Ive got a set of Starrett's for small stuff.

5) Don't know had the same one for 10 yrs and it works fine. If all you are using is 60/40 or 63/37 solder anything should work. If you are using something special let me know and I'll look up the speck of our solder station.

6) Can't help.

9. iwaxmyjimmy

I run an IR impact 1/2", the 231,and its great. I was considering the 3/8" IR impact, but I wasn't sure. Haven't even started researching much on the 1/4" IR air ratchets. I do alot of under the hood stuff, well lately I have. I would use the 3/8" impact for exhaust and other small jobs.

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I use my 3/8" for almost everything. Only stuff I don't use it for is truck suspension work, truck lug nuts, and some car suspension stuff. Heck I even use my 3/8" for lug nuts on little cars. I questioned the use of a 3/8" when I first started, but I have no idea how I would live without it now.

My 2 most commonly used air tools are my 3/8" Impact, and my 1/4" air ratchet. But I worked on Mitsus. On Fords I had to break out the 1/2" gun more often. I very very rarely use my 3/8" air ratchet, just not fond of them.

IR 231 is a good old stand by. But consider the 3/8" IR is only rated at 150 less ft. lbs than the 231!

11. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Get the 3/8 Titanium IR. That's a ripping gun. The SO is a little more powerful, but there's been several guys here at work returning them because they break too much stuff with it. All depends on your finger and if you like to go full bore all the time. My 3/8 is the Cornwell IR-C2112 and I use the hell out of it. Never break anything with it, but is strong enough to get M12 bolts about 6" long down to 100+ ft.lbs.

12. HOSS874X4

HOSS874X4 1/2 ton status

i had the mg 31 for three years and i hated it it was weak,went through alot
    of pins at the end that hold the sockets on and bound up a lot if you didnt oil it everyday i went the the IR 3/8ths and there is no comparison

13. Confedneck79K30

you had one with a pinned anvil?
    also did your dealer have you using the right oil?

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'd never purchase a gun with a pinned anvil.

15. HOSS874X4

HOSS874X4 1/2 ton status

iit was a pinned anvil and i used the snap on air tool oil

16. Confedneck79K30

cant imagine why anyone would want one with a pinned anvil, well i mean i can, but never sold one... the regular oil wreaks havoc on a mg31... the synthetic is the only way to go.. fwiw, too late now lol

17. HOSS874X4

HOSS874X4 1/2 ton status

thats all the snap on guy sold

18. Confedneck79K30

cough cough he sucks cough cough

19. iwaxmyjimmy

Welp got on the truck yesterday and bought:
    bp24b 24 oz hammer
    swr2 o2 sensor socket
    EEDM503C multimeter
    CT4G test light
    SAG990100 blower
    86CF side cutters
    Ga296 air chuck
    SRPC38000 snap ring pliler
    GA599 tread dept gauge
    , so I knocked a couple things off my list. The multimeter will be in thursday. I'm gonna go with the IR titanium 3/8 impact and I still haven't decided on the 1/4 air ratchet. I still need a bunch more stuff the more I think about it.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2007
  20. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

there will always be more.

Sounds like you got a ton of nice stuff. Half that I have from Craftsmen but you got better quality stuff.

Mind if I ask why you bought the blower? Seen a lot of guys have those things, and never really understood why. Only seen one come in handy once really, and that was cause the dumbass who owned it left the window open on a car and needed to dry it after a rain storm.

Good choice to go with the IR 3/8, you will not be disappointed.

Not to say this is THE item you should get, but I have this 1/4" ratchet and love it:
    [​IMG]
    Mac Air Ratchet

I only bought it because I broke the Craftsman one I had before it. Its not a bad item for the price. My most commonly used air tools are my 3/8" impact and my 1/4" air ratchet. I don't like those palm air ratchets because they just don't fill my hand, and some places I find them difficult to get in. That one I can stick the head in the area(which the head is nice and small) and operate it from outside the area. Oh and its black, ha.