Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

***UPDATED*** 465 HYDRO setup! ***PICS***

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KRAZIE87K5, Apr 9, 2002.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Sheesh... I am hunting around for a pilot bushing and a hydro throw out bearing, when all these advertisements are trying to convince me that the stock pressure plate and disc aren't going to hold up very long behind the 454.

I need part numbers from everyone as to how their hydro 465 combo's are installed. I have a few different parts already, but I have the feeling that I might be very dissappointed if I install them (they are slightly used OEM stuff).

I like the sound of the 12" Centerforce dual-friction kit, but its selling for $275... I think the wife will kill me if I ask for ANOTHER $300 on top of getting the driveshafts redone... I dread asking her... I can see the truck sitting in the driveway until July at this point!!! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

I need a good solution for:

1. Pilot bearing/bushing
    2. Hydro throw out bearing
    3. pressure plate and disc combo (if OEM is a bad idea)

ALL suggestions will help me BIG TIME. Please help me save my @ss! Think I may have finally jumped in too deep this time...

-Dan

See farther down for pics... or check my webshots page @:

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/dan_dycus>http://community.webshots.com/user/dan_dycus</a>

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Re: Looking for advise on the 465 HYDRO setup!

Centerforce+Mud= VERY BAD. The mud jams the weights.

3. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

I dont see anything wrong with running a stock pressure plate and disk. If you plan on running or are running lockers front and rear i would say go for the centerforce or other clutch that has more holding power. I put a stock used pressure plate and disk in mine and with 38's and open diffs it works nicely.

Brian

4. KRAZIE87K5

okay... well my truck sees more mud than a farmyard pig in May... (Well, a lot of mud if you know what I mean) so sounds like the CenterForce is not the answer according to Grimmy.

Any other suggestions then folks?

-Dan

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I run a stock heavy duty clutch...unless you're pulling in competiton I think the dual friction is overkill and may not be what you're looking for. I've heard it does not feather very well so street driving may be a PITA. I'd go with a good quality heavy duty clutch and pressure plate and be done with it. I've yet to see one slip that didn't have 200,000 miles on it first.

My 2 cents...

Rene

6. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Idea Dan....

How bout you just install all the OEM stuff you have (including the clutch and pressure plate), install a NEW TO bearing and a pilot bushing (like $35 total) and just take it easy on the go pedal...? I bet if you are nice to it, the OEM clutch will last you plenty long to save up for (AKA convincing your significant other) a new clutch...If you have all the stuff likt the bellhousing, pedal assembly, master and slave cylinder, shift for, tranny and t-case, go ahead and install it ...Just don't lay into your truck (esp. in 3rd and 4th gear) or you risk slipping you clutch...My roommate is putting injectors in his Cummins this weekend and with his box, he will be puming out 400+ HP and 900+ ft. lbs. he just plans on taking it easy on the go pedal so his OEM clutch will last like a month or two as he save up for the $800 South Bend Clutch kit...

Once you do smoke you clutch, spend $300 and get a decent CenterForce, LUK, or RAM clutch and get you flywheel resurfaced...

GL man...If you need any info on Part Numbers or somthing...I got lots /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Later

Chris

7. KRAZIE87K5

BTW Brian, I run a D60 and 14BFF with 4.10's and 36" tires. Detroit out back, and open in the front (for now). I can find plenty of work for this clutch to do... that and I plan to get to Moab this year... so I need something that can drive me there, wheel hard, and bring me back. OEM is usually good... but the CenterForce claim of "90% better grip" is sounding very good...

But then again, mud mucking it up doesn't... so I need a happy medium! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif ANYONE?

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Dan, how about getting the factory part numbers for the throw out and pilot bearings and see what <a target="_blank" href=http://gmpartsdirect.com>gmpartsdirect.com</a> like you told me?

Let me know if you want a rear driveshaft I have. It would need to be shortened, but that would save MUCH DOUGH rather than a new one. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Another thing to think about when they say the setup won't last very long behind the 454: why did they come out from the factory with them in the first place? These combo's have been working just fine for many years, so, that should not be anything to worry about.
    Today's trucks, with all the power and computer stuff are probably subject to more abuse to the clutch parts than the older trucks. But don't take my word on that. I'm just saying with the stronger motors today's trucks produce, they are still available with manual tranny's and the hydro setups, too.

9. KRAZIE87K5

Chris-

Do you have the GM PN's for the TO&amp;P bearings? I think that I really want to get the pilot "bushing" vs the bearing after reading the other thread today... sounds like the bushing is the way to go. Does GM sell the bushing too? Or only after market?

Wes-

I hear what you are saying... but I just want to know that I will have a good setup that will last... and if the OEM stuff is going to smoke, I would rather just wait and install good after market stuff... I know you gave me one good looking disc, but I think the two pressure plates have seen better days... I am going to get pictures taken, and post them so folks here can give their opinions.

DO IT ONCE, DO IT RIGHT /forums/images/icons/wink.gif has been the general idea on this truck from day one. Why change that now? The money thing is a problem, but even the wife would understand quality vs savings with existing parts (probabaly anyhow!) /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

I will have to wait until the jury comes back on the pics of the stuff I have right now...

BUT - I still need the GM part numbers for the hydro TO bearing and pilot bushing. HELP!

Thanks all!

-Dan

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm turning more and more anti-chain auto store, but thats where I got most of my hydro stuff...TO bearing and Master/Slave cylinders. Just tell them its an '86 with manual trans, you should get the right part, if not, you'll know when you try to put it together. IIRC the only difference between manual and hydraulic TO bearing is that one is "longer" than the other...since there was only one offered in an '86 K5, they shouldn't even ask "which one do you need", although thats not always the case. : )

As well IIRC, you can buy rebuild kits for the master/slave cylinders (real pricey complete rebuilt) and all you need is a brake hone to do the rebuild "right". Not sure which one I "rebuilt", but I took it apart, used some real fine sandpaper on the bore, and put it back together. I was broke at the time, but 3 years later, its all still working fine.

My "stock replacement" Sachs clutch/pressure plate APPEARS to "chatter" sometimes if I try to shift really fast...but the tranny is so old, and I didn't spend a lot of time "tuning" the hydraulic setup that it could be any number of things causing that. It also slips...if I floor it at 10MPH in 4th gear lol. Other than that, I have NEVER witnessed it actually slip, no matter how hard I am on it, or what kind of load I am tasking it with. My dads towing a 10,000lb trailer over a mountain pass with his K20/454/465 setup, and his never slips either. I don't think either setup was prohibitively expensive (for likely 100,000 mile life) at around $120 or so.

11. fortcollinsram

Here are teh GM parts numbers you wanted...

Pilot Bushing --&gt; #14061685
    TO Bearing--&gt; #15613306

Not sure if that P/N for the pilot bushing is the bearing or bushing...May want to check that out before your order...

Hope this helps...

Chris

12. KRAZIE87K5

Here is the info:

Engine Crankshaft Clutch Pilot Bearing
    BEARING
    $7.33

Engine Clutch Release Fork Bearing/Retainer
    BEARING
    $28.03

The PN for the pilot bushing comes back as a bearing instead... is this correct? I just want to make sure that I have the right thing.

-Dan

13. KRAZIE87K5

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Not sure if that P/N for the pilot bushing is the bearing or bushing...May want to check that out before your order...

<hr></blockquote>

alrighty then... Does anyone have the BUSHING PN?

14. fortcollinsram

I'd just have to venture a guess that the PN for the pilot bearing is correct and it actually is a bushing...$7.33 is awefully cheap for an actual roller pilot bearing, esp. from GM...The Roller Pilot bearing from Summit was like $13...But that is just a guess, I could be wrong...

15. KRAZIE87K5

You have to check out www.gmpartsdriect.com! This place has already saved me almost $50 bucks, and I have only placed 2 orders with them! They seem to have great stuff... I will wait for the master cylinder for the clutch to come in first before I make that call though! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Has anyone else had a good experience with www.gmpartsdirect.com??? Thanks!

-Dan

16. fortcollinsram

Dan,

I checked with Purifoy Chevrolet in Colorado (one of the more reputable chevy dealers) and they told me that they sell the ROLLER BEARING instead of the old bushing that GM used "forever and a day"...the don't sell the old bushing anymore...The said if I want the bushing, I would have to go to summit or jegs...

So my bad, the bearing P/N I gave you is for a pilot BEARING and not the aforementioned bushing...

Chris

17. dyeager535

Good experiences with them, but on the cheaper stuff (under say $15) even if your local dealer charges you list, it will oftentimes be cheaper. Make SURE that price+shipping doesn't= more than list price.

Ha! Part #14061685 list $12.22, theire price with shipping? $17.28

18. KRAZIE87K5

Agreed, and good point... that is why I usually make a "bulk" order when I do order from them! Shipping sucks! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

-Dan

19. dyeager535

I tried that before, and it appeared that the shipping/handling cost of each individual item is used regardless of quantity. I went through this before, there appeared to be little or no break. Thats how they make their money, so no quantity dicount.

20. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

never mind found it
    still wouldnt run the bushing though