Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

UPDATED Anybody know anything about '59 Chevy Trucks??

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by SlyDog, Jul 2, 2003.

1. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

UPDATED Anybody know anything about \'59 Chevy Trucks??

This guy I used to babysit for has a stock '59 chevy..I think it is an apache?? I really need to learn about these because he is leaving to Japan for 2 years and is giving the truck to a shop to build up into a sweet machine. Well he wants me to be the middleman and check up on things once and awhile and surf around and find good prices for stuff and do some research cause he knows that I am on boards like this for my truck. Plus I'm getting paid /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif So...any good sites for these trucks? Or any word of advice? Thanks!! /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif
    UPDATE : Aight guys, he wants a truck thats mostly all show /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif But with 1 ton axles and drivetrain... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif He wants approx. 37" tires and a good strong reliabe engine..I recommended the 383(?) He is basically allowing me the go ahead of spending his money ..(He is NOT going cheap! when he told me how much he was willing to spend I was like /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif This will be fun /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) For drivetrain, 383/400/205 will that work ? Lemme see your ideas and thoughts! Its a 59 Apache shortbed.

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Re: Anybody know anything about \'59 Chevy Trucks??

We used to have a '58 or '59 Apache (can't really remember, I was 5 when we sold it). The guy who bought it from us recently called us up and said that he had fully restored it. I've been meaning to get ahold of him to go look at it just for fun. When I do, I'll ask him about where he got some of his parts and for some helpful tips on restoration /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Check out the stovebolt page for more info on that truck. Many helpful folks on that site. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

What kind of build up does he want done, and how much does he want too invest into it?? There are alot of different ways too build it. (1) Turn it into a 4x4. (2) Street rod. (3)Restore it too all stock. / I personally think converting it to 4 wheel drive, lifting it, and some big tires would look really cool on a 59 Chevy truck. I wouldn't go too wild, probley 6" Suspension lift, 1" body lift, and 35's. 4:10 grars, a 383 stroker, TH400 / NP205 and 3/4 ton axles. Do up the body, nice seats, and a decent stereo system. But you really need too see what kind of build up the owner wants too have done.

5. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Well he has two little boys that want a "monster truck" hahaha. He wants 38-40" tires etc. Knowing him he probably wont take it on too rough of trails cause he'll wanna keep it straight. So 3/4 tons might work. Thanks for the stovebolt site /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I'll know more soon after I talk to him again.

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

You guys should check out the Off Road Unlimited '57 yellow Big Bird truck. Its one definite bad a$$ truck!!! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    He wants 38-40" tires

[/ QUOTE ] Might want too get 1 ton axles then. I wonder how hard it would be too put that 59's body on a K5's frame. Would be alot easier and cheaper the custom making parts. Only thing I'd be concerned about with 38"+ tires is body damage. I wouldn't want too hack the fenders on a 59.

8. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Ya thats what I was thinking, the body is really nice on it and it hopefully will stay that way. Ya Wes, that truck rocks! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

9. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

BTTT Updated

10. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Re: UPDATED Anybody know anything about \'59 Chevy Trucks??

[ QUOTE ]
    For drivetrain, 383/400/205 will that work ? Lemme see your ideas and thoughts! Its a 59 Apache shortbed.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be a great way to go and keep it reliable. But why not build a hot rod I-6?
    6 = 8 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

If he doesnt wanna go cheap, see if you could talk him into a 4 Link rear suspension would definatly help him win some shows i bet. I would go Dana 60 - 14 FF for axles, they will last darn near forever, and prolly will, since he wont wheel hard.

12. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

what was leaf spring spacing on trucks before 63 ? 1/2 ton ? 3/4 ton ? 1 ton ? were they like the 63-up trucks 42.5" and 40" ?
    ive only ever seen one 59 pickup, was a longfleet has some chrome emblems on the bedsides that say like apache or fleetside or something,
    cant remember now

13. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    He wants 38-40" tires

[/ QUOTE ] Might want too get 1 ton axles then. I wonder how hard it would be too put that 59's body on a K5's frame. Would be alot easier and cheaper the custom making parts. Only thing I'd be concerned about with 38"+ tires is body damage. I wouldn't want too hack the fenders on a 59.

[/ QUOTE ]

It'll suck. If it's like my '56 gmc, the frame is real straight. The K5's frame goes up and down. So, put the body on the k5 frame and you have alot of ugly gaps. What worked real nice is welding the front of a k5 frame to the back of the original frame. Then, swap the rear springs and everything onto the back of the 'new' frame (I am assuming the 56 and the 59's used the same frames). But, with that route, you'll have to do a custom floor on it cause the tranny will be up too high.

As for power, I would go for a tbi 350. For tranny...it depends on if he wants a standard or auto.

14. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Thanks muddin for that frame idea! With this guy, money isnt an issue, so I don't think a tbi 350 will quite cut it /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Does the 383 have any reliability problems? He doesn't want a bigblock but alot of power, so I suggested that. Also he wants auto, so the 400 sounds best there, mated to a 205. How does that sound? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif