Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

UPDATED! D60 guru's, I've got questions?!?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mkmiller, Apr 11, 2004.

1. mkmiller

mkmiller 1/2 ton status

UPDATED! D60 guru\'s, I\'ve got questions?!?

I'm a newbie to the Dana 60 front end so I have a few questions. Going to look at one that is from a '77 1ton that has 4.56 gears, according to the guy it needs new kingpins and does not have the lockout conversion he also has a 14BFF and the truck has a 6" lift kit(I'm pretty sure rear blocks but didn't ask). What I need to know is what to look out for on the D60 and 14B and how big(and costly) job is fixing the frontend. what would be a good price for me to get them for(What to offer). He said he would separate but I'm thinking I would get a better deal to buy it all because he wants to sell it all. Any help is appreciated. THANKS!
    Matthew /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Re: D60 guru\'s, I\'ve got questions?!?

Front D60's are going anywhere from $750.00 to $1200.00 and a 14BFF you can get for around $100.00 to $150.00 keep in mind that regardless of what you pay for the D60 you should at the least tear it down and see what it needs, most of the time a king pin rebuild is all thats needed unless you want deeper gears.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

D60s are a money pit. If you have to repair a Dana 60 front it costs big $$$$$ for everything. It's worth it though, unlike pouring money into a cheaper axle that will be swapped out one day anyway.

4. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Matt, send me his number and I will call him for you to make sure the 60" is o.k /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. mkmiller

mkmiller 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys, I'll let you know what I find out. I'm supposed to look at it tomorrow. I was thinking if he wouldn't name a price I would offer $500 what do you think?

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

500.00 would be a great price! Make him an offer, The worst he can say is no. Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks guys, I'll let you know what I find out. I'm supposed to look at it tomorrow. I was thinking if he wouldn't name a price I would offer $500 what do you think?

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

$500 would be a great deal. No matter what the condition, as long as it was complete, $500 would be great.

8. mkmiller

mkmiller 1/2 ton status

Re: UPDATED! D60 guru\'s, I\'ve got questions?!?

Here's the BEEF! Went to look at the parts today and found out:
    1977 1 ton D60 4.56-needs kingpins, rotors and tierod -$300
    1979 chevy with 10B and 14FF 4.11 350 block(no heads) auto tranny and transfer(203 I think) lift springs(he says 6" look like 4", with blocks) 10B is mostly parted 14B is complete hub to hub.
    He said he would take $600 for all or $300 for the D60. I was wondering if the rest of the stuff is worth the extra $300(I might get it for $200)? This is for a '71 Blazer project so there will be some /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif going on! Would the rest of this stuff work with a little modifying? Just let me know what you think.
    Thanks,
    Matthew

9. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

Dude buy it all if the tranny/tcase combo is a th400/NP203 in the `79. That is the most desirable combo out there for a doubler conversion. The 14FF in the `79 should get you at least $100 bucks. The th400 has a strange looking pan on it, almost in the shape of Texas. You will be able to tell the difference from a th350 which is square. I see that combo going for $250 easily just as a core. Great score on the 60F for $300 bucks. If you can't get it share the love and pass the deal onto me /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

10. mkmiller

mkmiller 1/2 ton status

Just wanted to say THANKS to all for the info. I went ahead and bought the whole she-bang! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Matthew
    P.S. He came down to $500 for it all. just wanted to brag a little also /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Just wanted to say THANKS to all for the info. I went ahead and bought the whole she-bang! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Matthew
    P.S. He came down to $500 for it all. just wanted to brag a little also /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, that's awesome. Congrats on the score!!!