Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

(UPDATED)HELP !!!!! S tranded in Sioux City IA Tranny Problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by GRINCH, Mar 31, 2002.

1. GRINCH

GRINCH 1/2 ton status

Started my trip from GA to Montana Friday.

Had the Tranny serviced from the same guy who rebuilt it. Ran great Friday and saturday. Today it started blowing fluid out the vent tube on top and out the dipstick tube.

I was using OD alot and it was not downshifting very much at all if any so I continued to use OD.( I know I shouldn't have but it was running so strong) Any way just after leaving KC heading to sioux city it stated cycling bad and smoke was coming out (Fluid burning on exhaust) , I made it to the hotel in Sioux City where I planned to stop anyway. I took it to the car wash and cleaned the underneath really good. I drove it around town and no more leaks. I didn't want to take it on the hiway until I found out what was causing the problem.

When I checked the fluid level I was down about a pint or more.
    The fluid is not red but resembles new motor oil. Has anyone ever seen tranny fluid that wasn't red????

P.S. It's a 700R4 and I'm pulling a trailer.

Please help if you can I have to get back on the road tommorow. I have to get to Spearfish SD.

2. rx7xj

rx7xj Registered Member

Re: HELP !!!!! Stranded in Sioux City IA Tranny Problems

Does the fluid smell burnt? Sounds like you may have overheated it. Never seen any transmission fluid that wasn't red. I recommend you check it out before you drive it again for any length of time

3. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

I agree wit rx... Sounds like you burnt up the OD band. Change the fluid immediately to flush out the burn and change the filter. Get a tranny flush if you can to remove any bad fluid in the torque converter as well. You may have 1,2,3 still, so hope for the best that you only lost OD.

4. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

HEY!!!!! I'm in Sioux City! I'll be up to about 11 tonight. Then I'll be I'll leave the house around 7:00 to go to the shop to work on my short box. Hollar if you need anything. My uncle has full shop just outside of town. Bring that bad bear up there with a case of tranny fluid, filter, and gasket and will get it rolling. PM me and I'll tell you how to get up there and where the good parts stores are.

5. GRINCH

GRINCH 1/2 ton status

Thanks,
    What would burning up OD bands do with blowing fluid?
    I took it out tonight without the trailer and it still went through all the gears and stayed in OD no slipping.

The fluid still has me puzzled though. I have never seen burnt fluid. My fluid is the same color as new oil and no really bad smell.

I appreciate the help..

6. GRINCH

GRINCH 1/2 ton status

Hey Thanks, If I just change the fluid with out getting it flushedw will I still l have problems.

I know it was DUMB of me to have it in OD but it was doing so well untill after I left St Louis.

What else could be wrong to cause it to blow fluid?

7. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

--I'd look for drips underneath.
    --Sounds like overheated tranny fluid that caused the dipstick to blow as it bubbled out.
    --Also I don't know 700's that well but don't they have vent tubes that if the fluid overheats it shoots out there first? This could be a problem.
    -- Front main seal on 700's also tend to blow when abused.
    Since you said you cleaned the underside...any new drips? From what locations?

8. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i thought the Cardinal Sin of 700's was to never tow in OD?

Just wondering, i have heard that more than a few times.

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Change the fluid and quit towing in overdrive and you'll probably be OK. 700R4's do NOT like to tow heavy loads in overdrive. It's in the owners manual.

10. GRINCH

GRINCH 1/2 ton status

Re: HELP !!!!! Stranded in Sioux City IA Tranny Problems now Rapid City

I had the tranny flushed this a.m . It took 32 qts. to get it clean. I drove across 90 from Sioux falls toward spearfish SD and It started spraying fluid again.

I know I was STUPPID for driving in OD in the first place, but even after having it flushed and driving in DRIVE (3rd) and no more than 65 mph it did it again .

It is sitting in Rapid City now

I also ran into a snow storm after it happened and almost lost it down a cliff.. Thank god I got it back on the road.

I WILL NEVER TOW A HEAVY TRAILER WITH A LIFTED BLAZER AGAIN!!!!!!!

The trailer and load is about 6000 lbs.

Any one know of a good tranny shop in Rapid City SD. I'm going to get it fixed and leave the trailer in Raspid City and come back and get it in two seperate loads.

Tired and stressed..........

11. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I didn't see it mentioned anywhere - Do you have an aux. tranny cooler?

12. GRINCH

GRINCH 1/2 ton status

Yes, I have the biggest cooler B&M makes. The strange thing is the engine temp never gets above 200. The tranny is cooled by the radiator and then the aux cooler.

13. 73 Heavyd

73 Heavyd Registered Member

Sorry about the bad luck. I blew a 4L60 in a 1992 Suburban and had to rebuild it to make it stop. (It cost $2200 in Alaska) I think I seen your truck and trailer today, but didn't think anything about it.

Do you have the ability to pull it at the hobby shop to do a carry in at the tranny shop? The hobby shop should be open tomorrow and should not be busy due to the ORE till Monday.

If you decide to rebuild, Logan's transmission on the frontage road just south of exit 61 has been recommended to me, but I have not had any work done there yet.

If you are looking at used, try Alan's Auto Recycling @388-0550. If he has it, he has pretty good prices for around here.

I'll pm you with more details. I'll try to help, but work might be the killer. D

14. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

did you just flush the fluid or did you drop the pan and change the filter. the hole on top is a pressure vent for stuff like when your filter is clogged. Mine clogged full of dirt(roaches nest) don't ask... and done the same thing, probably when you flushed it it helped it some but clogged right back up.

Chris