Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

**UpDated** MSD Install.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DuneRunner, Oct 16, 2001.

1. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

Well last night I installed my MSD 6A in about 2.5 hours.
    The hardest part was mounting the Dang BOX. I ended up takeing off the small grill under the windsheild, and mounted the box up above the heater hoses. I put it all together and took it for a test run and once I got on the gas I could tell it had better throttle response. Once I figure out the proper gap I will let yall know about the Gas mileage later when I can do it on a long trip. GO Easy and many thanks to Phillip at MSD he is a great guy (he even was able to call me at work and help me out.) "Philly87 on CK5"

Later KEN

DANGIT it's not a bronco!

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Cool!! I love my MSD stuff! It has never skiped a beat sence install

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099>www.geocities.com/baja/5099</a>

3. DuneRunner

What set up do you have Burt?

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Did you just install a box or did you get the whole enchilada(coil, plug wires etc)???

~~'84 K5~~
    Check it out at:

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.k5.rockcrawler.com>www.k5.rockcrawler.com</a>

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I have the 8360Ready-To-Run Dist.(SWEET replacement for my old points dist.) Blaster 2 coil &amp; 6Abox(just added it in Aug.) oh ya and my silly VDO tach would not work with this setup so I emailed MSD my problem and they sent me FREE an in-line diode/capacitor thingy to alow my tach to work!! Way cool they could have charge me!!!!!

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099>www.geocities.com/baja/5099</a>

6. DuneRunner

New Accel Coil, Older "12K Mile" Accel wires, New Accel Cap and Rotor, But am getting new wires from MSD, the only thing is the new plugs that I have, have 1K miles. so well see if I just adjust the gap what that will do.

A small mod that had to be done was to pound in the hood some. where the box was mounted, it just fit by a hair. other wise the mounts wouldn't fit in the fire wall due to wall supports and such. So a few bangs with the mini sledge, and that fixed it.

later KEN

7. HispanicPanic

HispanicPanic 1/2 ton status

yea Philly is a good guy one time i went to help a guy in the goo and ended up sinking in the goo literally i saw the truck sinking crazy stuff any way phil tunrned out to be a friend of a friend and went out there to help out and ended up staying there till 4 in the morning on a weekday later i came to find out he was Philly87 on the board, he's a good guy [​IMG] small world

<font color=purple>I put the Panic in Hispanic</font color=purple>[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://4x4.alloffroad.com>4x4.alloffroad.com</a>

8. DuneRunner

Its Funny how small A world we live in.

We GM fowk (sp on purpose) seem to be one BIG happy four wheelen Family.

"Give that extra hand cuz you never know when you'll need it. "

Later KEN

PS. I'm not getten all mooshy on ya. ALL RIGHT!

9. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hey Ken watch out for thoes MSD wires that are NOT the most expensive ones that MSD makes. I had a set and the wires bubbled up right near the header pipes and they wern't even touching!! Wasted 50bucks! I bought Summit Blue(Taylor brand) wires and they work great!! I think I paid 35bucks! Heck they even had less resistance than thoes other ones! Before that I had Jacobs wires they were good too but I tell ya for the money the Summit wires have been the best I've gotten so far!!
    Just my .02c
    Later

10. DuneRunner

Steve thanks for the heads up. I am going to see how the Accels hold up for now. I will keep in mind the Taylor brand wires. Did you open the gap on your plugs? if so do you remember what it was?

I appreciate your 2¢.

later KEN

11. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Yes, I am running the Taylor's also! Great wires!

Mike

<font color=green>"My K5 is purdyr than your sister!"</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

12. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

I just intalled the 6A box last weekend. I think I have a vacume leak because I still have a slight miss. Anyway I went with .60 gap on my plugs.

The idle is smoother but the biggest difference is the truck doesn't seem to be under such a huge load when driving up hills(on road). I'm pretty sure my gas milage hase increased because I can usually goe two days once my tank hits half way and I'm already at three days with a little left in the tank still.

I have the Accel wires too. I still have the stock HEI coil but I am thinking about changing it to the MSD coil. If you change wires please let us know if it helped. I'm a little suspect of the Accel wires.

<font color=red>Spirit of 76</font color=red>

13. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I use Bosh Platnums and set the gap to 45. I thought of going up to 55 or so but so far the 45 seams to be doing fine. Stock for me is 35.

14. DuneRunner

Hey 76 where did you mount your box?
    On the Fire wall, or wheel well, ect. ?

Cuz where I mounted mine was one heck of a hard place to mount to but it worked.

Late KEN

15. DuneRunner

Off hand I think that stock is 35 also for me.
    I'll have to check though.
    Thanks KEN

16. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You might want to change to the MSD coil soon or carry a spare stock on with you. The MSD boxes have been known to burn out a stock coil very rapidly. Its like putting an amplifier on stock speakers and turning the volume up high.

17. Hossbaby50

My box is on my firewall. It is on the passenger side up and to the right of the AC, and up and to the left of the motor. It is very high on the firewall, it is as close to the hood as it can be without hitting it. My mechanic mounted it to the firewall and not the fender because it would be harder for water to reach it. He didn't know at the time that it is waterproof. (6 Offroad Box). He had to move a little canister with a couple vacuum lines attached a couple of inches, but I think that was it.

18. DuneRunner

Sounds cool I tell ya that was the hardest thing was mounting the box. Really.

I was wondering if the box gets hot?
    I have not had the chance to check if it does.
    Maybe an option would be to make some sort of water proof box around the MSD Box.

Later KEN

19. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

I mounted my box on the passenger side fender. I tried mounting it above the heater but the negative cable wasn't long enough and I didn't have a way to go get a longer one. It should also stay cool over on the fender. It is mounted above where the jack would be.

MSD says the box is waterproof to a point so I think the fender will be o.k. it is pretty well protected. If not, I'll just move it. It was pretty easy to install.

I put rubber bushings under it when I installed it to help with the vibration.

I will definately change the coil. Someone else said they had problems leaving the stock coil in also. Thanks for the info.

<font color=red>Spirit of 76</font color=red>

20. Hossbaby50

I have a problem with my motor cutting out for a split second every once in a while, and some people here thought it might be my MSD getting hot. After what my dad told me about the last time he drove it I think its the fuel pump, but I am going to make a heat shield for the MSD just for sh*ts and giggles. Can't hurt.