Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

updated pg 3 ----NJ lift laws changed - well kinda

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RootBreaker, Jan 12, 2007.

1. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

it isnt about the lift.. but what they changed that didnt tell us that sucks :doah:

Ok so I just failed inspection.. but was errr ok i guess.... I like "the man" better....

what I failed for...

1. rollbar lights - not allowed must go and mine arent even wired up
    2. only allowed 2 lights on the front bumper not the 4 I have
    3. need front mudflaps... What the {expletive} is that {expletive}?????
    4. my power steering decided to puke all over the place so they also failed me for that too.... but that I understand

5. coat hanger holding up passenger muffler - ok i guess I agree on that too

I did pass emmissions though....
    oh yeah I re-adjusted the timing when I got there which I shouldnt have.. I got in the building and went to shut the truck off and it wouldnt shut off... so I put it in gear and shut off... they wouldnt let me re-adjust the timing....

all in all NJ is becoming a piece of {expletive} state..... why were we not notified of the new rules... on the inspection papers there is no rules laid out for these new items.......

Last edited: Feb 13, 2007
  2. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

More stringent inspection laws seams to be the trend these days...

Maine doesn't have an emissions test, but our lift laws and tire laws suck. We can only run two sizes over the largest available stock tire size and we have a bumper height and frame height requirement based on the GVWR, which basically limits most full size trucks to 33's and 4" of lift.

As of January, a new law just went into effect that forces the inspection stations to rip off half of the inspection sticker in a diagonal if the vehicle fails...making an easy target for the cops. :mad:

3. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

That's why I like to refer to NJ as 'The Peoples Republic of New Jersey' :D :haha: :rotfl: !!

4. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Why do they care how many lights you have on your truck?

If you blaze down the highway with them on then fine ya. It's that old BS we have to regulate you for what you might do:mad::mad:

5. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Dude, you should know that answer :D !
    Being from CA you can't have more than 6 lights (including headlights) facing forward or mounted forward.

6. RootBreaker

hmmm wonder if that is it.... I have 4 headlights forward.... so 2 offroad lights..... hmmmmm so put 2 kc's in the high beams....

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

We have similar reg's, but no mandatory vehicle inspections. Here I'm allowed two accessory lights (driving or fog) but they must have covers. Follow the logic, I'm allowed extra lights as long as they're pretty much disabled by covers.

Funnier yet is I have 4 rock lights under the truck which would fail me on a VI.

We're also not allowed to have tires sticking past the body, need mudflaps, and the vehicles must have doors.

Generally if you're being an asshat and get pulled over the cop will issue a VI order which gives you two weeks to get your truck within the reg's or they don't allow you to drive it...

On the other hand if you drive sanely and be respectful and polite if and when you get pulled over the cops generally don't bother you about most of this stuff...at least that has been my experience. Obvious safety issues are another thing.

I can think of about a dozen things on my truck that would fail me on a VI.

Rene

8. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

And you guys complain about Kalifornia? *All* we have is smog, no inspections of anything else. :deal:

Now, we COULD get pulled over for light / mudflap / doorless / whatever violations by the popo, but it seems as though those as secondary infractions, i.e. after doing something stupid first, you get tagged for those second. As Rene says, if you drive sane, you're fine.

But my truck, with no top, half doors, whacked fenders, and a fair amount of lighting, is jes' fine. :whistle:

-- A

9. RootBreaker

well my solution is as follows....

take 2 lights off front bumper
    take 5 off rollbar
    install exhaust hanger (not coat hanger)
    install front mudflaps
    fix power steering leak

then when inspection is passed...

install lights back on rollbar and front bumper
    remove front and back mudflaps

that is just the way it is gonna be.. I have not gotten introuble with those that way in the last 2 years.....

10. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

rootbreaker, cant you just go to a "friend" to pass your truck? i know some people that said they can do that. Guess i should rething the plains for my 1 ton. Where can i find out abot these laws? is there a list online somewhere. this kinda sucks....

11. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Pa laws suck also. height requirements for the bumper which make sense until you read the actual requirements. the height is based on your registered gvw. you need to have the factory bumper or they measure to the forward most part of the frame. so no drop bumpers. at least we don't have a maximum tire height like some states. Jersey cuts off at 38" if I'm correct.

Our tint laws are extremely vague. tint won't fail you for inspection but they can write you a ticket for it. so if it passes inspection, how can it be a ticketable offence?

12. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Now you're thinking like a Californian!!

When I had my '95 Toyota Supra when I lived in San Diego, the Po Po would bug me about not having a front lic. plate (while he was writing me a speeding ticket!). I would do the same thing; temp. mount it and then have a another Po Po sign off the fix-it ticket.

13. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

in VA any accessory lights you have must be hooked up and working, or ull fail

thats dirty jersey for you ;)

14. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

root, believe it or not, i went through the freehold inspection place and they asked if i had to go to the tilt inspection, and i told them no, so i wont have to go for 2 years. they had no idea what the laws were. lol

15. RootBreaker

the problem with someone passing you is you dont have all the right inspection stickers.. plus there are papers you need too....

look at this pic and you will see the sticker I am talking about.. it has
    tire diameter, bumper height, door height on it...

[​IMG]

some cops know about the second sticker.. then they ask for the paperwork.....

wow look what i just found googling a bit...

pg 6
    http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/Licenses/Driver%20Manual/Chapter_9.pdf

look at pg 2 of this one...
    http://www.njsfac.org/Parsons2001-09R1.pdf
    a High-Rise vehicle cannot be qualified as a collector vehicle

16. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

It sucks , but they probably did tell you . I would guess that new legislation is public record . You can find notices in the notice section of your daily newspaper . Your local library probably has it too , as well as pamphlets at your local DMV . Its your tax dollars , and I am sure you don't want them buying a TV and radio spot for every law change , and mail to every one they have an adress for is out of the question , imagine that cost .

But with the internet it is so much easier to follow what is passed recently .

I am doing the following myself in my own state , I am waiting for the EPA to say yes to AZ so we can have the rolling exemptions for emissions .

17. 84CUCV

OK thanks now i see. wow that sucks

18. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

ive been pulled over 6 times so far since i have been lifted and no cop even asked about a sticker. im sure its because of my location. down by you there are a ton more of trucks that are lifted, so the cops are more inclined to know.

19. 84CUCV

yea, your right

20. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

I love NC, no more emissions unless its OBDII, and no one has a clue on the height/light requirements, well, I know what the books say, but what is enforced? Nothing.