Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

***UPDATED PICS***** HOME SAFE ROAD TRIP: SLC, UT to Pensacola, FL 12/30-1/1/07

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Rob 85K5, Dec 25, 2006.

1. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

See pics below....

Buying an 88 C20 Crew with a 6.2 in SLC.

I will be in SLC early Saturday, 12-30-06, morning and hopefully leaving before or around lunchtime.

The current route I am looking at is SLC to Albuquerque, NM then along I-40 East through Amarillo and Oklahoma City to Little Rock, AR. From there heading SE to Jackson, MS and SE again to Mobile, AL and I-10 East to home in Pensacola. 2,092 miles & hopefully out of any snow.

I have not set time for how this will go, but would appreciate a PM with a phone # if you are along the way and/or willing to help if need be.

FYI -Truck is 88 C20 3+3 with a 6.2 diesel with a th400 and 14ff.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

*******Cell # is

Last edited: Jan 5, 2007
  2. 84zz4ss

84zz4ss 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Call me when you get home. Or I will come get you if you can't make it.

3. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you need local help finding your truck let me know...pm'd you

4. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

The phrase for the day is "books on tape", that's a long trip. :D

If you need anything give a brotha a call - 251-633-8279(H), 251-680-0489(Cell). :thumb:

5. BoondocK5

BoondocK5 1 ton status Author

If you need help here in SLC call me, I'll pm you my ##

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You're coming up on snow and ice season... I would suggest heading south earlier in your trip, just in case. Turn right in Amarillo and follow 287 to I-35 south. Cross over to Dallas and then pick up I-45 south, into Houston. Hit I-10 and head east... :cool1:

7. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you do keep the posted route and you need anything around Jackson, MS call me. I will PM you a number.:D

8. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Not to through a wrench in your travel plans but if your little map is right I would not take that route in a truck I wasn't familier with. You can drive for hours through Utah that way and never see a soul and if you come to a town its Indian rez land and they have nothing. Now if it really goes through Flagstaff AZ to NM then you should be ok.
    The route from SLC to Page AZ is a very traveled road but can be hell in the snow, lots of small mountain passes in southern Utah and it snow's alot sometimes in Flagstaff. I-80 or I-70 would work also, 80 more snow, 70 chance of less. Very cold possibly either way like -15 or so possibly.

9. kgblazerfive

PM me if you want more info

10. k2mslskier

k2mslskier 1/2 ton status

Are you considering taking I-70 East??? I would think twice about that. In case you missed the news this past week it was shutdown because of the blizzard that hit Denver. As kgblazerfive mentioned you might want to consider going down I-15, cut over to Page, Az and down to Flagstaff. Depending on what I-40 is doing east of there you might even want to consider taking I-17 south to Phx to I-10 and then going east.

Just my .02.

11. Rob 85K5

Also in response to k2mslskier

I was planning on I-15 South to I-70 E to US-191 S to US-64 S to US-550 to Albuquerque

Was trying for a direct route, and the atlas doesn't help with what the best path is. I am very open to suggestions.

12. kgblazerfive

Well you will get to drive thru Moab. :D Thats not that bad of a route until you pass Monticello then you hit nothingness did you ever see Thelma and Louise the movie when they put the trooper in the trunk its like that nothingness just a road through the desert. The town of Monticello has about 1500 people in it if that, Blanding has like 500 and from there it's nothing, gas and services are slim to none.

I-70 from Salina to Green River is nothing litterly no towns or anything its only 150 miles but it is well traveled.

If it was me I would take I-15 to ST-20 to 89 to Page then to Flagstaff then I-40 to NM.
    But I like to travel on the Freeway and do 85 the whole way cuz the limit is 75.
    Your route is do-able but scary if you break down and need to be towed or something
    Cell phone coverage is probally nonexistant outside of Moab until well into NM

Let me know if you have any ?

13. kgblazerfive

Plan on buying snow chains some of the passes you can only go on in the if you have them. Boy Scout motto works well "Be Prepared" expect the worst and plan for it maybe it will be sunny the whole way:D

14. Rob 85K5

Will this route need chains as well? Is this the most populated/most traveled route? I was looking for something more direct, but if I can't call anyone to help me its out of the question.

15. kgblazerfive

I have seen two feet of snow in Flagstaff and the little passes along the way get snow also. They do close I-40 out of Flag every once and awile for snow. Its a elevation thing. That way is probally the fastest time wise and safest as far as stops and people and help possibilities.

16. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Just be aware, the weather is starting to look iffy in colorado for the next couple of days. I'd follow the suggestions to get going south as quick as you can in the trip. Snow piles up fast in the south western part of Colorado so your original plan of cutting the corner could put you in the middle of nasty two lane mountain roads covered in snow. Not the best to travel on in a 2wd truck.

Even still getting to Flagstaff is going to run you through a lot of Indian Reservation land. Like others have said, towns are few and far between. Also parts are hard to come by. Not to mention the locals aren't too keen on helping outsiders. Have tools at the ready if something breaks since cell phone coverage in that area is beyond awful. I drove from Flagstaff/grand canyon to Farmingtion and had ZERO coverage on 3 different phones until I got to within 10 miles of Farmington. The phrase, you are on your own couldn't better suited for any other area. it's friggen desolate.

Be careful and good luck!

17. Rob 85K5

This weekends forecast looks good - mid 40's with sun.

New Plan of attack

The interstate map looks OK on Saturday and gets better through the weekend.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2006
  18. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Geez, after reading all this, I'm glad I brought my V3500 home in June......:doah:

Good luck, Rob. Just remember that you're in good hands with all the CK5ers along the way looking out for you. :thumb:

19. Rob 85K5

I just hope they don't lose my baggage(tools).

Who wants to pick me up at the airport, I'll buy breakfast?

20. kgblazerfive

what time