Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

**Updated**Ticking noise coming from engine bay, ** More done to it.***

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by rocko, Sep 15, 2003.

1. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

As of today ***
    Last week, I had to move the truck from the front to the back yard.. it's been retired from daily duty.. so we thought. I backed into the intersection by our house, a car was coming, So.. I slammed the gas pedal to the floor, truck bucked, sputtered, then all of a sudden, it ran fine. No ticking, no rough idle.. no more white smoke out the exhaust.
    2. Changed the oil, added Lucas engine oil additive, it helped the truck run better.
    3. took the truck to the dealership for an induction cleaning. They said there was alot of carbon buildup in the combustion chanber.. ? And when we picked the truck up, My wife drove it home and she swears it drives like a brand new truck..she said it feels as if it's "BRAND NEW AGAIN"..

Well.. we drove it for a couple days.. it starts ticking,but it only lasts for about 5 seconds, then goes away. A little white smoke is coming out the exhaust.. but it doesn't smell like antifreeze, smells like it's running rich.
    Also note.. when the plugs were changed.. we only found fouling, no antifreeze on the plugs, and no antifreeze in the oil. So I believe that eliminates a head gasket problem.
    Anyone have an idea what it could be? Someone said Injectors. I think that could be it.
    Sorry for this being so long.. but we got to figure this truck out .. or we'll trade it in on a Silverado Crew Cab HD, .. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Updated.. we replaced the plugs and wires.. it sounds like a engine starving for oil kinda noise.. when the truck is warmed up ie: driven for about 5 minutes.. the noise goes away..

<font color="red"> The truck: </font> 1999 Chevy Tahoe 4dr, 4x4, 5.7 engine.

<font color="red">The Problems: </font> First off .. the truck was idling REAL rough..and a ticking noise developed in the engine compartment. Also the "Service Engine Soon" light remained on.. So the wife took it to a Friend's work.. Thanks Billy.. (REALLY APPRECIATE IT).. and it was hooked up to a diagnostics machine..
    Said the spark plugs were bad..
    We replaced the plugs... <font color="blue"> And the spark plug wires.. </font> the idle is great, but the ticking is still there.. it goes away when the truck is warmed up.
    Could it be bad oil? it's hard to pinpoint where the noise is coming from exactly..
    Oh.. and the service engine light went off for a short while after replacing the spark plugs, but has since came back on.
    Anyone run into this problem? and idea's on another "fix" solution? Aside from getting rid of the Tahoe !!!lol..

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

Re: Ticking noise coming from engine bay, what could it be? here\'s what we did.

injectors tick..pretty audibly too....the ones in our 99 s-blazer 4.3 do it, its possibly normal, light ticking noise? or heavier??

3. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Re: Ticking noise coming from engine bay, what could it be? here\'s what we

Could be a bad hydraulic lifter.
    Did you check all of the spark plug wires, one could be broekn or even burned through from the exhaust.

4. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Re: Ticking noise coming from engine bay, what could it be? here\'s what we did.

I have a similar tick in my 01 GMC Sierra 2wd with a 4.8L. It ticks under load. Like climbing a hill at around 40 or 45MPH in overdrive. Gets pretty nasty sounding sometimes, almost like metal on metal. Two different dealerships have told me it was spark knock and wasn't fixable. A guy I know had the same problem and it ended up being an intake leak. The dealership resealed his intake and it never came back. Oh, and no Check Engine Light with my problem.

Kris

5. Confedneck

if its spark knock, ask the dealership to reprogram the pcm to adjust for octane levels...might help..

6. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

The dealership said the couldn't do anything because of the way it is programmed. I thought it was a load of crap personally, but I really don't know.

Kris

7. Confedneck

that sounds like a dealership that likes to lose customers..

8. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I know it! I have bought my past 3 vehicles from the same dealership. The owner recently sold the dealership to a "company" that has something like 20 dealerships. The only benefit I saw is they have $10 oil changes, but everything else is crap. I knew the owner personally, and he was a really nice guy and would put anybody in a car if he could, even if meant losing money on a deal. He was all about customer satisfaction and repeat business. Well, that dealership won't get mine again. Kinda sad, but oh well.

Kris

9. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

It's been updated.. the plugs and wires were replaced..

Also.. don't know if this is related.. we had to replace the water pump.. truck kept loosing coolant rapidly.. the truck did peg at redline on the temp gauge a few times.. perhaps something internal to the engine?

10. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Rocko- if the SES light is back on- it should be throwing a code....the OBD should tell you what's causing the light, which in turn could be causing the tick.

One thing I will tell you, having only owned GM's only 1 of our trucks never ticked- that was our 99 Z-71, our 89 did my 94 burb did, our 3 1-ton work trucks did, and my D/A does occasionally.....We've never had a spark knock tick, just a lifter tick until the truck was warm. Of course- none of these trucks ticked at 3 years old, but I'm not sure how many miles you have on the Tahoe....(okay the Duramax ticked from day 1)...My K5 only ticked the one time I forgot about checking oil.....the SES light would come on and go off around corners, ticked like a SOB and low and behold, it only had 1 quart of oil in it.

Brandy

11. Confedneck

i still vote for injectors..

12. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the replies.. the oil level is fine.. although the truck is way overdue for an oil change..
    I dunno.. this truck baffles us.. fix one thing.. another thing goes wrong.. it has over 128,000 miles on it.

13. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

updated..

14. Confedneck

have the injectors ultrasounded...good way to clean them and make sure they're not leaking and replace all the orings at the same time..

15. Gary 86 K5

Gary 86 K5 1/2 ton status

without listening to it, my first guess would also be a noisy lifter. im a tech at a chevy dealer and ive replaced a few lifter sets on the vortec v6 and v8s before. im sure its not a injector. the "poppet nozzle" injectors you have are always quiet.

confedneck- what exactly is "ultrasounding injectors" ive never once heard anyone say that before. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

16. Confedneck

ultrasounding the injectors is a way to clean them out, out of the vehicle..i forget where to take them to have it done, our 99 s-blazer with a 4.3 v6 ticks from the injectors when its cool out..

17. Gary 86 K5

i know how to clean out injectors. it involves installing a pressurized canister with a gas/cleaner mix to the fuel rail, then disabling the fuel pump and blocking the feed and return lines. thats the only way ive ever done it but ive never heard of it called ultrasounding.

18. Confedneck

we clean injectors the same way, call it a fuel induction service...

here ya go.. Ultrasound-InjectorPerfector
    [ QUOTE ]
    This procedure bombards the injector with ultrasound waves that break up the contaminates while the injector pulses. The debris is then carried out of the injector by a biodegradable chemical.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. Gary 86 K5

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. bckinblk

bckinblk 1/2 ton status

This may sound crazy but ..At around 75k my tahoe started ticking bad at cold start up .I tried thinner oil-additives etc and it would still tick .I found that with fram oil filters my 5.7 would develope this syndrome .I tested a few filters and the best one is the stp oil filter. cleared it right up..good luck........... /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif