Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Updates on the Truggy

Discussion in 'Center Of Gravity' started by BadDog, May 25, 2003.

1. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Several have asked for pics and info on the new changes to the truggy. Basically, I now have a tube front and a heavy front cross member with a receiver mount. I am also almost done with a skinned, narrowed, and relocated hood. Should finish it tomorrow and I'll update the pics when I can...

I also finally organized my several pages into a "site". It also includes an update with a few small corrections to the "caliper grinding artical" posted on CK5. Steve, if you read this, you can get the new info from here. It's on my page for convienience since I can't update the CK5 artical, but I always refer people to the CK5 page...

Here is the main "site".

Here is the new front cap page...

Any suggestions or comments, good or bad, are appreciated...

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Those are some kewl pics. Maybe one day when I'm rolling in the dough I can build a playtoy like that too /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. BadDog

Rolling in dough? Ha, that's a laugh. I just do it all in my little one car garage, which it won't fit in any more, and do it as I can afford it. It's been "in progress" now for about 1.5 years with occasional abandonment due to lack of funds or time...

4. BadDog

Also got some new pics of my son's K5 project with the floors completed. This can be seen in the last 4 pics here. I'm trying to get him to take time to write some description in there, but he just does not seem interested...

5. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

WOW I think the front is shaping up better than I imagined. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    It is looking awesome. I think your sons K5 is looking good too. Between the two of them looks like you'll be busy for awhile /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Looks tough and more importantly, funtional!

Well written, with good shots.

I really like the new tube work on the front end.
    'Gotta get one with the hood on it, I'd like to see how that fits. Sounds like it's going to improve the visability over the hood by quite a-bit. Something these things really need. You lowerd the hood by 2", shortened it by 6" and narrowed it by 8" overall - correct ?

I really dig the rocker sliders on your son's ride, thats exactly what I've been kicking around. (I hope you don't mind me swipeing that idea - do ya'? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) Mines a '74 full topper with the factory rocker boxes - but the idea is dead on. I'm thinking about hikeing them up into the doors a bit more tho'. The rockers and lower part of the doors are rusted, they are useable at this point, but I think I'd rather have the clearance.

Again' nice work Russ. There isn't anything there I don't like !

7. BadDog

Thanks for the comps. Unfortunately, since James dropped my digi at BB02 (the first fricking day! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif ) I can no longer get it to focus right, and the zoom does not work at all. So the pics are often blury and I have to "zoom" in Pain Shop. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Gotta get a new one some day... I also need to fix some typos. That was all done in a straight text editor, no spell checking, and spelling/grammar never was my strong suit.

I'm headed out in a few minutes to try and finish the hood frame and modify the factory hinges. Should have everything but the pins done today, I hope. Then take the tube off, weld it up, and paint it. The hood is factory length front to rear. I just removed the cowl grill (used by the square nose front caps) and slid it back almost to the windshield. I also tilted the core support back as much as I thought safe, and the front lip of the hood now just barely clears the hump at the back of the core support where it goes up for the radiator brackets.

Help yourself to the rock slider design. Heck, that's a composite of what I've seen others do, combined with my own cage mounting philosophy that no one else seems to agree with or understand... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

As for raising it higher AND keeping the doors, you will actually have to pick one of the two. His rockers go right over the lower hinge mount on the cowl. You can see in some of the pics how I cut the hinge mount off and bolted it to the cowl so that I would be able to weld the rocker to it for more support. Much stronger than welding to just the outer layer of sheet metal because the hinge bolts basically tie multiple (3-4) layers of sheet metal together, and the nuts on the back side are mounted to a fairly large plate to spread force. People who just weld to the cowl there usually only hook the first layer... So, you will either have to go under the hinge (about 3", maybe 4") lower than my son's so you can keep the hinge. Or loose the doors like he did. Or, spend a lot of time and effort fabing up some sort of hinge mount.

So, I'm off to the shop again to do the hood. My son is moving the rear hangers back 3", installing my old 56" pack, and doing a flip to eliminate the rear blocks. And work continues...

8. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

The front looks very cool. Not a lot of tube, and clean lines. One question though: Are you going to run some kind of inner fender?

BIGJ

9. BadDog

For those interested in the hood, I've updated the link with a couple of pics of the frame coming together, and a new pic of the front tube fame on the ground being welded...

10. BadDog

I haven't run an inner fender of any kind for the past year or so, I doubt that will change any time soon. Eventually, if I get bored or more interested in "looks", I may put in a piece going back from the horizontal bar, sloped down about 20* or so, back to a vertical piece just outside the frame and radiator. Wouldn't be hard to do, but not much point unless I also clean up the fire wall, or maybe just ditch the whole GM cowl and build something from scratch...

11. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

coming together really nice Russ! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. FWP

FWP CRS

[ QUOTE ]
    my own cage mounting philosophy that no one else seems to agree with or understand...

[/ QUOTE ]

To heck with em /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Now, get that machine out on the trail with us /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif, You've been in the garage too long, missing all the fun we've been having /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif.

13. BadDog

[ QUOTE ]

Now, get that machine out on the trail with us /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif, You've been in the garage too long, missing all the fun we've been having /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]
    TELL ME ABOUT IT!! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Still waiting on my doubler adapter. Gotta get that together and in before I can do anything else...

14. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I think its coming together awesome.

15. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Kewl !

When you get that sucker bolted up, keep us posted.

I'd really like to see how the hood mounts up, (the improved ability to see over the hood - is what really got my attention) - I'm very interested.

I'd be thankful if ya keep this thread going, when your ready, so I don't loose it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

16. BadDog

Ok, updated again with pics of the hood mounted, and some pics of the hinges showing how they are made, mounted, and the range of movement... Getting so many pics up there now, I'm going to have to break it out into multiple pages soon... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

17. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

I really like what you did with the front end of your rig. I hope you dont mind if I use some of your ideas when I start on my rig. Also, Im sure Ill have a few questions for you when I get to that point. Thanks for posting this stuff.
    Later

18. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

Damnit Russ---you are always 1 step ahead of me----but thats ok---now i have more ideas in my head

truck looks awesome

19. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey Russ,
    That front hoop/hood support is waaay sex-e! Whole project is lookin real good /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Really like what you did with the hood.

20. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

Russ, dont take this the wrong way cus you know i think yer a stand up guy, BUT, YOU DICK!

i had just decided i was gonna leave the bed on my tub, after seeing the pics of yours again im rethinking now....
    all cus you....
    grrrr.

anywhoo, pics look good. keep up the good work.
    some day ill be able to go out with yall.,
    Grant