Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Updating steering column??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by seanp, Sep 25, 2003.

1. seanp

seanp Registered Member

My 83 Jimmy has the windshield wiper switch in the gauge bezel. Is it possible to just add a newer lever with the windshield wiper controls to my steering column? Or would i need to get a new steering column? I already need a new bezel so replacing that with a newer one wouldn't be a problem.

2. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

yes you can, but you will have to make your own wire harness to re-connect it. However, the headlamp switch is in a different position on the dash without the wiper switch. It's more centered in the dash. as with yours it's up higher.

3. seanp

seanp Registered Member

So i can add a newer lever to my column, or do i have to get a whole new column?

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Actually I don't think it's possible.

I could be incorrect, but IIRC, the wipers and dimmer moved to the column at the same time, and the "bowl" that houses those pieces changed to accomodate that switch assembly.

I know for a fact that when I converted mine over, I had to replace that housing. Look at the newer column, and you'll see the added "bulge" around the lever that was added to fit it all in there.

5. seanp

seanp Registered Member

I completely forgot about the dimmer switch being moved to the column too. So it seems you have done what i want to do? But you have to get the complete column from a newer truck? If so did you have any issues with the wiring?

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I actually did the changeover at the same time I changed from column shift to floor shifted manual tranny.

I built mine out of multiple columns, including GM cars.

Wiring changed in the columns based on years, options, and color of wire cheaper at the time. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

In other words, yes some of the wiring changed, but it is variable based on donor year. Since I had a 1986 chassis wiring harness to deal with, the dimmer/wiper switch issue was nonexistent when I converted the column. I do know however, that there were a few wiring variations. Nothing that can't be worked around, but it will take some time.