Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

upgrade in mind, need opinions?!?!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cannibal, Jun 27, 2003.

1. cannibal

cannibal Registered Member

hi all,

wussup, here's the deal..
    My k5 include (what i know of) a 350,3 manual,33" radial.
    im planning to make this car for offroad use only after what i was amazed to c in here from u guys, anyway, Rock crawling,mud and maybe a bit of desert running is what i have in mind to do, so what should i do? like what axle swap, what suspentions, etc....
    My info. is minor coz all what i know is new from this great site since 5 months ago i logged in, so plz bear with me and give me ur advice on what should i be planning to get, like axles, i think mine are 10 bolts rear and i really don't know about the front much, its also 10 bolts, so im thinkin about more hight, more performance power (torque), and shocks....

thanx.... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

From my understands, the most desirable axles are (Front) Dana 60, and (rear) 14 Bolt FF. That 14 Bolt FF can be found fairly cheap, but that Dana 60 for the front is another story. Tire size and lift ??? You've got so much too choose from. I guess it all comes down too your person pference (Yeah yeah, I know I really fawkered up the spellinng on that one). My plans for my 76 K5 is 6" lift springs front + Heavy Duty Front Shackles from ORD for a total of 6.5 suspension lift in the front. In the rear I'm going with ORD 4" shackle flip, plus 3" lift springs for total of 7" of suspension lift for the rear. Also serously consittering either a 1" or possibly a 2" body lift. I do plan on running 38" Ground Hawg tires. But that's just my vision of a lifted truck. There are so meny ways too do it. I'm not much into rocks, so I'm not as worried of center of gravity. I see most hard core rock guys going with smaller lifts and more fender trimming to clear the larger tires. It's all up to how you want too build your truck. Good luck with it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

From what you have said so far... it leaves the options way to wide to really help. Is there one kind of wheeling you would like to center on? The three you said, to build one for each would be quite differant. Or would you like to build it as multi purpose?

Also, start us off with about how large of tires you want to run. That would at least give us somewhere to start? And are you willing to trim the fenders?

Ken H.

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

we need more info like what size tires you plan on running and how extreme you want to go with your blazer