Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

upgrade to 3/4 ton

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigreid, Mar 8, 2002.

1. bigreid

bigreid Registered Member

What is involved in upgrading a 1/2 to a 3/4? Is it worth the time and money to have someone else do it or should I do it when I repalace a rear-end and/or tranny? Any thoughts would be appreciated. By the way, it is on a 1991 suburban with a 350.
    Just found about this site from a fellow K5 driver at a stoplight. Awesome site!!!
    Adam

2. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Well, most people are referring to the axles when they say "go 3/4 or 1 ton". Most likely you have 10 bolts front and rear on your 91 Sub. The actual swapping of axles is easy, you can do it yourself. You just have to find some 3/4 or 1 ton axles to swap in - a 14 bolt full floater axle is preferred in the rear, and either convert your front 10 bolt to 3/4 ton hubs/rotors, etc or go all the way with a front Dana 60 1 ton axle!

You can find all kinds of info on the site about these axle swaps, just do a search for them. But just keep in mind one thing - you need to ask yourself if you really need the extra beef? What I mean is, if you don't use your Sub hard (rockcrawling, serious mud, or just wheeling hard), there isn't a lot of sense in spending all the money on these axle swaps "just to have them". If you DO plan on wheeling hard and want the extra security (remember, anything can still break, even the big axles!), then it's something you should think about. Ask around, see what others have done, and how they like it. Don't just spring into it - you gotta do your research first! This board will give you more info and opinions than you might even want to hear! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Good luck and welcome to the site - let the addiction begin and grab hold of your wallet!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Welcome to the site /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    Could you please fill out your profile? Also, I'm curious who referenced you to this site.
    Thanks

4. bigreid

bigreid Registered Member

I am still getting familiar with the site, is there a profile page or should I just post it as a message?
    Thanks,
    Adam
    '90 K5 (love it), Looking to buy 90 or 91 suburban

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

To fill out your profile click on "My home" on the header above. It's beside the search button.

Scroll down to "main configuration" and click on edit for personal info.

Most of it is basic stuff...'location' tell us where you're from, this can help us help you if we have parts you need etc etc...'bio' a little about yourself if you want... 'occupation' kinda obvious...then there's one called 'signature'. This one is limited to 100 characters and will appear at the bottom of every post you make. Most people choose some funny one liner, or a description of their ride for that.

Rene

6. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

Yes, please fill out profile!
    I have a 91 sub myself ( <a target="_blank" href=http://www.mwt.net/~woody9/trailer.jpg>http://www.mwt.net/~woody9/trailer.jpg</a> ) and put the 3/4 ton under it. Also got a spec book on it (for tracking down those pesky codes on glove box door) as well as service manuals for the 90's (hey, it's close! and price was right!) and, last but not least, the 91 TBI drivability book. (probably spent more in books than on the parts I worked on).
    All that aside, the specs show few differences between 1/2 &amp; 3/4 ton.... Thickness of .177 vs .192 in; section modulus rails 3.57 vs 3.88 cu in, and frame RBN (?) of 139,230 vs 151,320 lb in). Also the 4L80E was in the 8600 GVWR &amp; all V models.
    I've bought mine used (2nd owner) @ 93,000; did a 700R4 GM replacement around 105,000, and 2- 10 bolts when i started to tow the travel trailer. Went with 3/4 ton 4:10s to eliminate the weak-link. Also added the biggest tranny cooler i could fit it along with a 4 row radiator (even for the 350).

What else ya need?