Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Upgrade to 4 wheel disc from 4 wheel drum

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 70jimmy, Oct 17, 2004.

1. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    I am about to start my axle swap and this will mean changing from 4 wheel drum brakes to 4 wheel disc. I am changing from a 12 bolt to 14 bolt rear and Dana 44 to 10 bolt. My question is I now have power drum brakes and the new axles are 4 wheel disc. What all will I need to change under the hood. Master cylinder etc. Part numbers or what to take to parts off of would be of great assistance. I assume I will need an adjustable proportioning valve. What else.

Any suggestions and advice would be appreciated. thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

For the front....you can keep your knuckles, they are flattops which is good for crossover. Just take and set of outer parts from any 10bolt or 44 and bolt them on. THE PROBLEM IS: you will have to redrill the backing plate because your knuckles have a mounting pattern that is 15 degrees off compared to disc brake knuckles.

for the rear :
    http://coloradok5.com/atrondiskbrakes.shtml
    http://www.wrath.com/4x4/tenboltreardiscbrakes.htm

I don't know about swapping the other stuff though...
    Blake

3. ugly

ugly 1/2 ton status

72 blazer-I just swapped my rear drum to disc. I already had 44- disc/14ff. I added a 3/4 ton brake booster ($78), a master from a 79/80 Pontiac trans am with rear disc brakes ($15) (could also use a master cylinder from a 78/79 cad Seville), and 8" braided steel lines ($50), disc/caliper/bracket ($650)

I bought a proportioner, but did not need to install it.

Stops on a dime

If your axels have discs, you may not need the brake lines, and the 3/4 tom booster is not a must- but very nice. the master is important for the lager reservoirs, but you could just keep an eye on fluid level (others may call the master a must, I am not a mechanic)

4. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Axles are already all set up including brake lines. I am just unsure about under the hood. So it sounds like 3/4 ton master cylinder, and brake booster. Is the master cylinder and brake booster just a direct bolt on??

5. OLD DAWG

OLD DAWG 1/2 ton status

Ok, where did you find a 3/4 ton booster for $78? That's a deal! Sorry about the post HiJack Duane /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. ugly

ugly 1/2 ton status

Check that...3/4 ton brake booster, and a master from a 79/80 Pontiac trans am with rear disc brakes ($15)

Yes they bolted right on.:)

$78.00 at Pep boys for the booster.