Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Upgrade to HEI?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by climbingmadman2000, Aug 30, 2004.

1. climbingmadman2000

climbingmadman2000 Registered Member

My 73 K5 still has points ignition. Is it worth upgrading to HEI? Any suggestions?

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

absolutly, all you need is a hei housing, i would replace everything in it. module, pickup coil, rotor, cap, coil.

3. climbingmadman2000

What are the benefits of upgrading to HEI? I just tuned the truck up - new points, condenser, cap, rotor, wires, plugs...what improvements will I notice?

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I am torn to tell you the truth on weather to say yes or no. GM HEI is a damn good system for sure but I almost want to say don't fix it if it isn't broken.

I am running HEI in my K5 but I am running points in my 73 Jeep. I tuned the Jeep up about 14 months ago and it has been fine since.

I have thought about messing around and upgrading things but I don't see the point. I go outside, turn the key, and it starts and drives fine. Why mess with that?

Harley

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

one thing is a more voltage, and i believe that the hei does better at higher rpm, not sure though. if you just replaced everything in your curent distributor, then i would just wait till the next time around, no since in wasting money.

there are a few more advantages but i can't think of them.

6. climbingmadman2000

I've also heard that HEI gets better mileage...but since I just sunk $ into a major tuneup /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif, I doubt the improvement in mileage would pay for two sets of new parts. I'll hold off till it's tuneup time again.

Thanks guys.

7. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Time btwn tune-ups is far greater with an HEI. No points to wear out. By now most breaker point cams are worn to the point that cylinder to cylinder timing could be affected. HEI has no rubbing parts to wear out so cyl to cyl timing stays consistant. There's a guy out there putting the HEI guts (except possibly the module) in points dizzys so you can stay looking stock. Search something like "Dave's Small Bodied HEIs".

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

If you do upgrade,dont foget to run a new 10 gauge wire from the fuse block to the distributor that only gets power when the key is in the "on" posistion--the original coil power wire is a resistance wire,only allows about 9 volts at reduced amperage to the original points type coil--you need a full 12 volts for the HEI to work properly. I converted all of my GM trucks to HEI when I found I had to wait a day to get points,and they were 25 bucks with a condensor- /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif-I can buy a HEI distrubutor for that used--even a new pick up coil and module are only about 15 bucks apeice!. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif