Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Upgraded 700R4 tranny servo

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by heavy4x4, Dec 4, 2003.

1. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Anybody here have a non-stock servo in their 700R4? If so, which one? How much did it cost? What has it done to the shifting/performance of the tranny? And, what do you need to install one?

Thanks.

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

3. redneck60164

redneck60164 1/2 ton status

that's what i used in my trans, i got corvettte servo, new torque converter, heavy duty bands, trans-go juinor shift kit, and everything else for a complete rebuild. my local trans guy only charge me a little over 700.00. it is going on 2 years now and i love the way it shifts and feels nowm conpared to before. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. k5guyva

k5guyva 1/2 ton status

I just had a corvette servo installed in my 700r4. I haven't driven it yet, but I get to pick it up from the shop tomorrow! I'm so excited. I had a bunch of upgrades installed. I asked for a higher stall torque converter. A really smart guy with trannys recommended this stuff, which I had installed. He said:

"Borg Warner "Hi-Energy" band,
    Borg Warner "Hi-Energy" 3-4 clutches (either 6 or 7 count)
    Borg Warner 29-element, dual cage sprag
    SPX-Filtran HD Reaction Sunshell
    Viton input/output shaft seal
    Corvette Servo
    And I'm also a firm believer in TransGo Reprogramming kits."

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

you want a corvette servo, they have more holding pressure on 2nd and 4th gear. if you want i can get one for you for about $15 shipped, oh yea i started up a tranny shop /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    they have more holding pressure on 2nd and 4th gear

[/ QUOTE ]

What does this mean for real world driving? Does it stay in gear better without bands slipping? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    if you want i can get one for you for about $15 shipped

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif You're a couple steps away from having a sale! But, before I buy one, I just want to know what the driving characteristics will be like. Will I be slamming though shifts and creating added wear and tear on other components?

7. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

it shifts a little harder into 2nd and 4th. it won't allow the band to slip. i put one in a stock rebuild and you can hardly notice it. it preaty much prolongs the tranny life.

8. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a corvette servo and It made a huge difference in shifting between all 4 gears. It is a much quicker firmer shift. My old 700 got gradually harder shifting as miles wen't on because the extra pressure started breaking loose that burnt glazed crap that builds up on the clutches from high mileage. My new 700 with all the upgrades shifts perfectly and fast. I would recommend the servo instead of a shift kit.

9. k5guyva

k5guyva 1/2 ton status

I just got my K5 back from the shop after getting lots of mods to the 700r4, including the corvette servo. I love it. Good firm shifts and no jerking or loud noises.

10. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

So, what does it take to install one of the $15 "kits" like I linked above. That link gives a brief installation process, but I was looking in my factory service manual and it looks like there's a lot of guts inside the servo. Do I need to be taking things off the old assembly and putting them on the new one?

Anybody install one themselves, or is this best left for a tranny shop?

11. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I had the shop do it that later on rebuilt my 700. It doesn't take them very long and it probably pretty easy for them because they do that everyday. They also told me before they installed it that if a spring or something pops out it may have to be torn apart to get it back in but it only happens about once out of 50 servo R&R's. I know my share of info and how a 700 works but I don't trust myself to work on them besides servicing. I would probably have a shop do it.

12. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif I found these instructions at the bottom of the page I linked above /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif. Doesn't sound too bad. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I think I'm gonna get one of these things. big83chevy4x4, you have a PM.