Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Upgraded Dana 60 U-Joint

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DPI, Dec 22, 2005.

1. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Anyone running these OX joints? I am needing to upgrade to 35 spline outers and will upgrade joints at the same time.

Let me know if you broke one.

They look like they're a work of art and would be tuff.

[​IMG]

2. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Do some searching on Pirate. Seems like people who run them in dana 44's have little problems but the one for the 60 are prone to problems.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I havent read every single post about them on pirate, but most of the failures with the Ox seem to be related to one of the "legs", which screw into the body, unlike a normal joint, coming out and then things get ugly. I dunno if its possible/advisable to use some loctite in there or what... might call the Ox guys on that one before you try it. IMO the best options right now are either CTMs or Longs 300M joints. Yukon 4340 joints will cost much less than either of them, but won't be out for a few months. Thing I really like about the Ox joints is how easy it is to install them. The legs come off, so all you have to do is put the body in between the ears of the shaft and then screw the legs in. Pretty cool idea... if the legs stay where they belong under load.

j

4. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

A friend of mine who works for Randy's R&P told me that their testing of the OX joints was not impressive-on the dana 44 versions anyways. He recommended the Yukon Super Joints, not sure if they make those for 60's.

5. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Apparently OX just revamped it's 60 joints. I'd give people a while to try the "new" versions before anyone passes judgement.

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

7. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Loctite is a no no with them from what I have heard. I'd wait for the reviews on the new design.

D60 super joints will be out in Feb.

8. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I broke one in my Dana 44 in Moab. The piece that broke can be seen in the pic the guy is holding. It caused the caps to walk out of the shaft and destroy my ball joint threads on the bottom of the knuckle:(

I am replacing it with a CTM.....

ox-uj-7.jpg

9. FWP

FWP CRS

Weird these are getting broken. I find my shafts breaking or wearing out the holes. Running the Spicer Life series joint, no breaks on the u-joints.

Of course having said that I probably just jinxed myself:doah:

oh, 42's on a 60, 35 spl outers, and I don't hammer it too much when the wheels are turned.