Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Upgraded Hummer (Pic)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dontoe, Mar 3, 2005.

1. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Not bling bling, but great upgrade in Iraq. Roof rack might fit a 'Burb? Half doors great for inner-city use?

[​IMG]

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm guessing the doors are armoed but it looks like they offer a good sightline to the driver.

A few kids in class have started arguments with me claiming the Hummer is the best off road every built in production. :rolleyes:

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Ask them what good one is it it won't fit down the trail. Around here 85% of are trails are too tight for a HUMVEE. Heck, 20% of the trails are too tight for a K5.

4. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I do like the approach angle on the hummers. :xmas:

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

approach and departure are great, but the limited flex and breakover, plus the AMC 20 center sections(mind you portal axles reduce the stress). They asked me to name one vehicle thats better. I answered in about .000001 seconds, UNIMOG. They said, "production vehicle", uhhh that is. "But I've seen pictures of a hummer that hit a land mine and all the people were fine..." thats armor plating not the hummer! It all started cause someone said, "If I had a hummer first thing I'd do is drive over a car" I laughed and pointed out he'd make it half way then roll over :D

6. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The armor packages, take the vehicle to 100 lbs or so, over its weighted limit. The doors offer really good protection for both driver and A driver. Main thing they are trying to protect from are roadside bombs and such. The racks on top are gypsy racks. A great tool if you have alot of equipment to carry. Not sure if they would fit on a burb due to its width. I will have to take some pics of our trucks tomorrow that took a few bombs and some AK rounds in the side of them.

Sorry this is just me being arrogant and stuck on myself.......You know who you are

7. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Looking forward to da pics Stomp!!!

8. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

looks like you could have a rifle out the door too.

humve is cool and all, not not great, not ment as as off roader ( inour sence)

it is ment for what it does and it does it great.

i wonder it they will replace it with thatinternational one they made tHAT is a cool looking truck.

plus it would flood the markit with cheap humvees!!!

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Wasn't the hmmwv just essentially a replacement for the Jeep for the military?

During all the senator whining and moaning about lack of armored hummers in Iraq a few months ago, I tried to picture them replacing the word "humvee" with "Jeep", and suddenly the whining didn't make sense.

Of course our troops should be armored to the hilt, but picture them doing the same things with a Jeep or suburban, and it suddenly doesn't seem so right to think the Hummer is the end-all/be-all of military vehicles...
    I think the more we can make it do, like be more protective and "armored", the better. But that's quite different than complaining it doesn't do what it primarily wasn't meant to do... I don't think "Ultimate off-road capabilities" was really part of the army's requirement, but I don't really know what they asked for when they spec'd the jeep replacement...

Some more official info:
    http://www.army.mil/fact_files_site/hmmwv/

10. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Just my 2 cents here.
    I understood the replacement of the Jeep to be for weapons platforms. The HMMWV is alot wider and provides a more stable base of fire. Jeeps tend to rock when firing a .50 cal to the right or left and well the hummer just sits there. Correct meif I am wrong on that one from someone who was around when they converted over to the hummers back in the day. I use to train Marines to drive these things and I dedicated 2 days to offroad driving and these things are pretty capable, even with a beginner behind the wheel.

As far as ultimate offroad capabilites of them being considered when purchased, I think they were looking for something to this extent. This is just due to the fact that you never know where your going to heading to to chase down the enemies of the US, like the mountains of Afghanistan or the plains of Iraq. The roads in some 3rd world countries are barely paved yet alone the offroad areas.