Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Upgrades for 203

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SummitXMK, Jul 5, 2001.

1. SummitXMK

SummitXMK 1/2 ton status

OK the 203 Needs some TLC. I need a new Chain for sure. Where is the best place to get a good Chain? Probably seals front and rear. Anything else I need? Also I read somewhere a long time ago about a chain tightner that was for 203 that was adjustable to keep the chain from slipping. Anybody ever hear about this? Also are there any other upgrades I can do besides a doubler or a 205. I don't do enough wheelin to justify this. This is mainly for crusing forest service roads in the summer and hauling my 2 sleds in the winter. (Which I wish would hurry the hell up and get here by the way. 106 just suck!!!

78 K5 Cheyenne 240K miles and counting (praying)

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Rebuild it and leave it alone. If it's still fultime then your better off leaving it that way. The only stronger case that made it in out trucks is the 205. That being saild I'm being stupid and temporarily making mine Part time because my tires are screwed and I'm waiting on some axle swapping before new tires.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</A>

Grim-Reaper

3. SummitXMK

SummitXMK 1/2 ton status

I don't plan on making it part time. I just want a good chain that won't stretch. My buddy bought the cheapest chain he could find and it only made it a year before it started to slip on heavy hard climbs. That is what I wanted the chain tightner for. I figure with both of those my chain should last about forever.

4. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

Milemarker makes the chain tightener, i think its listed on the 4 wheel parts site, but its pretty expensive, more than a new chain, i'd say buy a quality chain, and it should last for 150,000 miles at least

RaisedK5

"Of all the things I've lost, I think I miss my mind the most!"

5. SummitXMK

SummitXMK 1/2 ton status

Ok so who makes the best chains?

6. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
  7. SummitXMK

SummitXMK 1/2 ton status

Who sells Morse Chains? Also does anybody sell a gasket kit? It I have to take it apart all new seals and gaskets will be on order.

8. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

i think the last time i cracked mine open the gasket kit was @40 bucks a 4Wheel parts, but that was a long time ago, i'll be cracking into it tomorrow so i'll let you know when i go to put it back together. Check diff or trans shops/suppliers for the chain, look in the back of Petersons and call around.

RaisedK5

"Of all the things I've lost, I think I miss my mind the most!"

9. hey grim,
    ever rebuild a 203? or has anyone else? they want around $900 to do it my neck of the woods. the rebuild kit is only like $180 though. how hard is it for the average joe to rebuild. how much stuff needs to be pressed on or off? i'm real close to getting an adaptor from AA and putting in the 208 i have. unless someone can talk me out of it. the adaptor is only 200 bucks

<font color=blue>Striving for K5 world dominance</font color=blue>

10. Payador

Payador Newbie

Hey Grim I converted my 203 to Part Time about 3 years ago and I wheel it hard but not often, does this compromise the durability of the 203?

Danny Smith 81 Blazer "Whisky"

11. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

What screws it up with the part time is the front doesn't spin so the chain doesn't spin and the case was designed to lubricate by oil slinging off the chain. There is a resivior in the tail cone that collects oil off the chain. Infront of the speedo drive is a plastic gear that acts like a pump. It feeds fresh oil to the tail shaft bearing to cool it and lubricate it. The big problem is you supose to put it in loc every 200 miles for a few miles at around 35-45 mph to get some oil into the resivior. This is often forgoten and the bearings burns up. Also a lot of the roller bearing in the top need the oil.
    If it hasn't been converted then it's never been starved for oil and the only thing it usualy needs is a chain.
    75 has never been converted and it's in so much better shape than the 79 we have that has been converted long before we got the truck. I have had to replace the tail shaft bearings, part time kit. As far as I know my 75 hase never been apart in 300,000 miles.
    I should be installing my chain soon. I'll try to do a tech story with pictures if I'm nut doing the last minute wrench fest.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</A>

Grim-Reaper