Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Upgrades on the New K2500

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by pauly383, Nov 29, 2006.

1. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Well , I know the quick connects leak on the heater hose to the intake . I had planned on replacing it anyway , as it did show a small leak when I bought the truck ( p/o didn't know where it leaked , and promised to pay for the fix ) .

Its beyond fixing , Damn threaded part broke right off the second I touched it :laugh:

Upgraded to a threaded fitting , and a piece of rubber hose with two hose clamps . It isn't going to leak anytime soon :D

Next thing is a bigger tranny cooler :pimp:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2006
  2. pauly383

Second thing I did last night was transfer my wifey's Sirius over to the truck , and install a head unit I had lying around . Pics coming tonight .

Looks clean , I got the install parts on Ebay , and its tapped into the factory wiring without cutting . The sirius is in a pocket where the old stereo controls were . No wires visible :thumb:

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

That cool that you got a new truck that can double as a towrig & DD. Just make sure you keep the 4L60E cool since it is just like a 700R4. Sounds like you got a pretty decent price on it & it should serve you well. Now you need a trailer. :D

Harley

4. pauly383

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have 2 coolers on the K5. One is 24K GVW & the othe is 18K GVW or something like that. I would also recommend a gauge too if you are going to tow with it. I have the B&M gauge plumbed in on the sending cooler line. My stock cooler has been removed from the loop too so it won't absorb heat from the radiator.

When I am wheeling I hardly ever see the temps get above 160*. If I am flogging the crap out of it on dirt hillclimbs I have seen 220*. When the temps go abov 200* I park it and let it cooldown.

The big B&M cooler on jegs is 11"x11"x1.5" & is rated @ 29K GVW. It's $90 The B&M gauge wasn't very expensive either. $46. Cheap insurance if you ask me.

Harley

6. pauly383

Heres the pic of last night . I threw my XRC-2200 in there until I win a nice newer MP3 deck off Ebay , all Sony decks from the mid 90's to now share the wiring plug on the back , so its plug and play . Actually mine ( CDX-F5710 MP3 ) may go in here and the new one in the K5 !!

The Sirius unit is in the pocket , with the back of the pocket drilled for the antenna and power cord . For now I have the power cord in the cigarette lighter plug , but I am going to get a another outlet to mount under the dash like I did in the Impala and make it key on .

[​IMG]

Looks nice this way , and can be easily removed when truck is wrecked or replaced :thumb:

7. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I'm going thru the same thing on my '91 right now. As soon as I put a wrench on it it broke off. Went back to the parts store and bought a tool that was supposed to be like an easy out for the part left in the manifold and it only managed to chew it up a little and make the hole bigger :doah: I hope there is enough of a manifold left when I am thru to put a fitting back in it.

8. pauly383

What I did was hammererd a little ( old screwdriver or other sharp thingy ) to split the threads , and used needle noses to twist em out :thumb:

9. kennyw

Won't hurt to try... if I have to pull the intake to fix it I'll be getting an Edelbrock 3704 instead anyway.

10. kennyw

Thanks for the tip/reminder... it worked but I did manage to bugger up a few threads in the intake more than I liked. I just put on plenty of Teflon tape and no sign of leaks so far. All the little pieces went straight into the manifold though. Took a very small set of forceps to fish them out. Needle nose pliers were just too big.

Other than dumping 5 quarts of synthetic blend oil in the motor before realizing I forgot to put the drain plug back in it was a successful day. But in my defense I went to the movies and saw transformers plus made a parts run in the middle of doing the oil change and trying to repair the fitting at the same time. My wife pulled the drain plug while I started the fitting repair so 3 hours later when I decided to jump to finishing the oil change since the fitting repair was going south I missed one major step :doah: One good thing was the drain pan was still in place, bad thing was the drain pan is a 7 quart and I had at least 9 quarts trying to fit into it (1 quart low when I started the oil change).