Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

upgrading 105amp alternator

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 89suburban, Apr 7, 2007.

1. 89suburban

89suburban Newbie

I have a 89 suburban 1500. Im trying to upgrade to a higher amp alternator. Will a 124amp work from a 92-95? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

2. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

If you are going to spend the dough on an upgraded amp alternator, go to www.wranglernw.com. They have a 160 model that is out of this world! Internal and external regulator options available. It's the bo-snizzle! It's on my list!

Manny

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

That place must have bumped their head if they think anyone is going to pay $544.67 for a 160 amp alternator. Besides, i had a custom alternator built that puts out 140 amps and it only cost me $125.00.

4. bridgeguy

bridgeguy Registered Member

That was sort of my response when I looked at their webpage. They must have gold-plated windings, or something. Price looked a wee bit on the steep side.

If they are marketing to first-response units, would explain it somewhat as most public agencies have a touch deeper pockets for their 'toys' than we tend too.

5. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

heck, you can get Powermasters 200 amp'er for $350, and thats pricey...

6. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I've yet to look into alternators, I did look very briefly a while back, GM had many high amp models in the 80's that would be a direct bolt in, seems like. Some Caddy's had 140's I'm pretty sure. The CS144 version came in 140 I know, just not sure which vehicles. The CS130 and CS130D models came up to 120 too.
    If today's models would fit, which I think they can, the new burb's and escalades come with 160's.

Do some easy google searchs for gm alternators street rod type stuff, there's alot of info out there on what will fit.
    Here's a brief overview of the various GM modles:
    http://www.alternatorparts.com/

7. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

I wish I could find the paper work on my 200 amp alternator. When I purchased mine I did a lot of research on them.

There are many high output alternators out there, from cheap to unbelievably expensive.

It is not the fact that they put out high amps, it is when they do it. Mine puts out almost full output at idle, while many of them need higher RPM to have full output.

The one I have is used in city buses, I had to upgrade some wiring to handle it, otherwise it mounted without any problems.

I will keep looking for the specs on it, seems like it only cost $225 compared to some that ran $500-600, and paled in comparison to mine.

8. 89suburban

89suburban Newbie

9. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

10. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

pretty sure thats the place that had a thread on it a few years back where they had HORRIBLE customer service..

11. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

If you have a 350 in that truck, the Pontiac (Transport) alternator should be a drop-in, including wiring, and will put out 140-160A.

Alternately, as it were, you should be able to find a local starter/alternator/electric motor place, who will happily rewind yours for higher output, for less $$ than any of these cost.

-- A

12. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i have the serp setup from a 90-91 burb. it has the littler cs-130 alt.

13. 89suburban

89suburban Newbie

I tried the alt from the pontiac transport. It wasnt clocked the right way, and the fan would have rubbed on the mount. oh well, back to square one

14. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

What motor, what year?

I did one onto my '74 454, had to custom fab a bracket, and later moved it onto my '74 350, where it was a bolt-in, no mods required.

-- A