Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Upgrading Axles?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Tweetysuarus, Jun 15, 2002.

1. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Is it really worth it to convert a Dana 44 over to 8 lug setup just so I can have a mate for the 14 bolt in the rear that is gonna be setup w/5:13's or better? Or should I nix the 44 and go for a D60? Which is it cost effective?

Thanx,
    Bill C /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

you locking the front axle?

3. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

If you are gonna do a good bit of hard wheeling then definitly go for the dana 60 front.When i first built my truck i left it with the 8 lug d44 and after having it out of the garage for about a month i had already broken 2 stub shafts and 1 long shaft,had to replace those then the next month i boke the carrier and the ring and pinion all at the same time.Then i couldnt see spending 300.00 or more rebuilding this axle when i know im just gonna break it again!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Yes sir if I do a dana60 it will be with an ARB locker, but right now I have a detroit in the 44

5. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

go with a d60, if you plan on wheeling a lot, and plan on wheeling for a few years (or longer hopefully) then in the long run it will pay forself.

6. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

Why not go w/ Warn (or other high quality axle shafts) w/ the CTM's----if the RCCA's and other crawlers can why cant we---granted we weigh a little more but how often are you gonna get in a situation like them.

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Bill,

Just FYI.....if you're using a 14-Bolt, 5.13 is the DEEPEST you can go. There is nothing numerically larger for the 14-Bolt.

If you think you'll need more than 5.13 (which implies LARGE tires or DEEP reduction gearing and LOTS of torque multiplication) you'd better look for a D60 front. You can use a D70 rear for more gear selection, but the lockers are more expensive than they would be for a 14BFF. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif